Cole Swider returning ??? | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Cole Swider returning ???

they lost 17 times with that roster in which the two sons were the focal point of the offense.

Not sure what your point is. They might lose more games next year without the B’s, but still he’d rather end his career and not play or is the thought he transfer as a grad?

Not sure what your point is. They might lose more games next year without the B’s, but still he’d rather end his career and not play or is the thought he transfer as a grad?
Are you saying it’s pure coincidence JB’s first losing season featured his two sons leading the league in minutes played?

With the sons moving on, there are opportunities to upgrade the roster. I think he’ll wait to see how things shake out before deciding. He wants to have a big role but on a winning team.

I remember how agonizing it was waiting for Cj Fairs and then Tyus’ decisions

Are you saying it’s pure coincidence JB’s first losing season featured his two sons leading the league in minutes played?

With the sons moving on, there are opportunities to upgrade the roster. I think he’ll wait to see how things shake out before deciding. He wants to have a big role but on a winning team.

If his son‘s only played 28 minutes a game we wouldn’t have won any more games either. our roster was horribly flawed people were talking about this last May at least people who had a clue. Swider didn’t move the needle when he decided to transfer here.

Nobody has answered my questions though.

I do think the injury to jesse factored in to the losing season. A lot more than the minutes played by his kids. I do think that Jb had a terrible year coaching this year. That isn't to say minutes played by all of our starters didn't factor in to it. Having jimmy at the 5 in the first Wake game at the end of the game. Benny just not being all that good for the first 28 games. I agree that he should have played Sy more.

I do think the injury to jesse factored in to the losing season. A lot more than the minutes played by his kids. I do think that Jb had a terrible year coaching this year. That isn't to say minutes played by all of our starters didn't factor in to it. Having jimmy at the 5 in the first Wake game at the end of the game. Benny just not being all that good for the first 28 games. I agree that he should have played Sy more.
Agree and disagree. Yes, losing Jesse was an absolute dagger. However, Jimmy playing more than 30 MPG was absolutely inexcusable. He was such a MASSIVE defensive liability and there were way too many occasions the offense bogged down because of him. Jimmy would have been a fantastic 6th/7th man coming off the bench. Playing Sy even 20 minutes a game and giving Buddy & Benny some minutes on the wing would have been a significant upgrade. This roster was horribly constructed and we all saw it. The issues were compounded by poor management of minutes. Take that however you want lol.

Agree and disagree. Yes, losing Jesse was an absolute dagger. However, Jimmy playing more than 30 MPG was absolutely inexcusable. He was such a MASSIVE defensive liability and there were way too many occasions the offense bogged down because of him. Jimmy would have been a fantastic 6th/7th man coming off the bench. Playing Sy even 20 minutes a game and giving Buddy & Benny some minutes on the wing would have been a significant upgrade. This roster was horribly constructed and we all saw it. The issues were compounded by poor management of minutes. Take that however you want lol.
Let us not forget that Benny was just awful almost every moment he was on the court until the Duke game. And not for nothing, Sy didn't look all that good either. Now, one thing that Jb does that drives me nuts is putting Sy, Benny and Frank in the game at the same time. As for Jimmy, we would have been better served with a real ACC forward from the portal. Jimmy could have come off the bench. They were out there and we didn't pursue them. Hopefully, we don't make that mistake this year. For example, I don't want to wait on Mintz. If he wants to come great. Let's go after real good portal guards starting Monday.

Let us not forget that Benny was just awful almost every moment he was on the court until the Duke game. And not for nothing, Sy didn't look all that good either. Now, one thing that Jb does that drives me nuts is putting Sy, Benny and Frank in the game at the same time. As for Jimmy, we would have been better served with a real ACC forward from the portal. Jimmy could have come off the bench. They were out there and we didn't pursue them. Hopefully, we don't make that mistake this year. For example, I don't want to wait on Mintz. If he wants to come great. Let's go after real good portal guards starting Monday.
Dash, if they went after a real ACC forward from the portal, they would not have got Benny. And if they got Benny, a real ACC forward from the portal would not have come.

If Benny makes jump, Mintz is here and two of the 5 frosh can play and contribute I think it can be.

5 guys or more that can put up 15 or 20 to me along with better athleticism should get us there.

I am a big fan of benny but not sure what jump people are expecting. Do you think he will be as good as guerrier or brissett were their first years? That would be a huge improvement but i dont see that pushing us into tourney team consideration.

That said, we lost a ton of close games this year. In reality, when healthy, the team was much better than their record, and agree that a large reason we lost those close games is we got out athleted.

I agree on attacking the PG spot. I don't necessarily think Sy should be playing 30 MPG. And that's kind of my whole point overall. Nobody should be playing 30+ MPG.
I understand that Benny was not great but I'm a firm believer in letting guys play through their struggles. Jim clearly differs. This was my contention with Jesse last year. He clearly showed development when given minutes but Jim refused to give him consistent minutes. Jesse got consistent minutes this year and we saw the results. Yes, part of that is off season work but part of it is not constantly worrying about making a mistake and looking over your shoulder.

Dash, if they went after a real ACC forward from the portal, they would not have got Benny. And if they got Benny, a real ACC forward from the portal would not have come.
Well, that isn't true at all. benny was already signed. And they did get a portal forward. As a matter of fact, they got 2. Jimmy and Cole. they should have got another one. One that could play defense and drive.

I am a big fan of benny but not sure what jump people are expecting. Do you think he will be as good as guerrier or brissett were their first years? That would be a huge improvement but i dont see that pushing us into tourney team consideration.

That said, we lost a ton of close games this year. In reality, when healthy, the team was much better than their record, and agree that a large reason we lost those close games is we got out athleted.
Jesse could also make a jump. People sleep on him improving.

We know Cole wants to be a sportscaster down the road. That is one of the reasons Syracuse was a finalist when he was in HS and a big reason he transferred here late.

Coming back for another season gives him more chances to take Newhouse courses in his chosen field.

He wasn’t happy with his role at Villanova. Wanted more freedom on offense. And more playing time.

JB promised him he would get those things and he delivered. Cole always thought he was capable of taking over games and scoring 30 plus points and at Syracuse, he had the freedom to make it happen.

It has to be tempting to think, if I could do this being the 3rd (or 4th or even 5th) option on the offense this season, what could I do next season? Especially there is a true pass first PG running the offense next year.

Maybe he wants to see what he can do as the man? Maybe he wants to end his college career on a more positive note?

Guessing experts are telling him his future as of today is playing basketball in Europe. That is where the best money is for a player like him. Maybe he is thinking it might be prudent to avoid playing over there right now? The uncertainty of COVID is bad enough but there could be a full scale war over there by basketball season next year.

There are lots of reasons for him to consider staying.

Question -- was Cole a grad transfer [i.e., did he graduate from Villanova] or was he just taking advantage of transfer portal flexibility?

If he really wants to go into sports telejournalism, then getting a master's from Newhouse should be the incentive we dangle.

Question -- was Cole a grad transfer [i.e., did he graduate from Villanova] or was he just taking advantage of transfer portal flexibility?

If he really wants to go into sports telejournalism, then getting a master's from Newhouse should be the incentive we dangle.

The latter. He has the CoVid extra year still if he wants it.

Jesse could also make a jump. People sleep on him improving.

Man was already pretty good. Dont see why he wouldnt keep getting better. Unfortunately, the wrist injury prob set him back a bit. I’d love to see him gain 20 lbs of muscle for than anything.

He's listed as a Senior at Syracuse this year, not a Grad Student. Only spent 3 years at Nova.

Well, that isn't true at all. benny was already signed. And they did get a portal forward. As a matter of fact, they got 2. Jimmy and Cole. they should have got another one. One that could play defense and drive.
Right Benny was signed. Any player with real high level ability would think that Benny was going to have every chance to take the minutes due to his recruiting status. If you wanted a guy better than James, almost 14 pts per game and near 40% from 3, your talking about a guy who would start almost anywhere and play 30 minutes. Cole came for perimeter shooting to spread the D, which he largely did. Who would this 4th guy be that would be OK with 8 minutes a game?

Right Benny was signed. Any player with real high level ability would think that Benny was going to have every chance to take the minutes due to his recruiting status. If you wanted a guy better than James, almost 14 pts per game and near 40% from 3, your talking about a guy who would start almost anywhere and play 30 minutes. Cole came for perimeter shooting to spread the D, which he largely did. Who would this 4th guy be that would be OK with 8 minutes a game?

He averaged 14 pts while playing 35 MPG and taking 12 shots a game. He also had a defensive rating of 111.

Jimmy was a nice player, but never should've warranted 35 MPG.

You can't apply the end result statistics to the pre season thought process. It doesn't work that way... ever. An Ivy league transfer from a bad Ivy league is never a guy you anoint.

Also you bring in a wing- 4th forward and 4th guard. A guy who can give you minutes at both. This is not that difficult to understand.

Last edited:
He averaged 14 pts while playing 35 MPG and taking 12 shots a game. He also had a defensive rating of 111.

Jimmy was a nice player, but never should've warranted 35 MPG.
Benny was supposed to play most of the minutes and start. He is a 5 starish recruit. No guy better than James or even as good as him was going to come with a high recruit sitting there, they have a lot of options.

Benny was supposed to play most of the minutes and start. He is a 5 starish recruit. No guy better than James or even as good as him was going to come with a high recruit sitting there, they have a lot of options.

There you go again speaking in absolutes and claiming others said things they did not.

Try reading before responding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom