Cole Swider Transferring from Nova to Syracuse | Page 32 | Syracusefan.com

Cole Swider Transferring from Nova to Syracuse

Why doesn't being a good shooter mean you're talented and athletic?

Who said it doesn’t make you talented?
Just a general observation. We seem to put people in buckets and talented / athletic /shooter seem very distinct categories

John Kruk was a talented hitter, but I doubt anyone would call him athletic.
He was actually a good basketball player in high school. I remember living in San Diego when he came up. He was an afterthought as a prospect but in spring training he hit close to .500 , so they had to keep him on the team.

He was actually a good basketball player in high school. I remember living in San Diego when he came up. He was an afterthought as a prospect but in spring training he hit close to .500 , so they had to keep him on the team.
If John Kruk is athletic, the bar is set extremely low, actually, there is no bar.

If John Kruk is athletic, the bar is set extremely low, actually, there is no bar.
I wouldn't call him athletic now, but when he was 19 he was much more athletic than you think. I think you picked a bad example.

I wouldn't call him athletic now, but when he was 19 he was much more athletic than you think. I think you picked a bad example.
If he is a bad example then I guess there isn’t a good example. Not going to argue about John Kruk’s athletic prowess.

For S and G - Kruk back in the day

John_Kruk_t198.jpeg

Put it this way. Bowlers sometimes were decent athletes for a few years back in the day too...

Nice work. I agree he probably ends up around 4-5. Those numbers seem very low. Shows you how much we struggle on the glass out of the zone.
Well, when we shoot 80%, :). that takes away a lot of potential offensive rebounds, which reduces the numbers.

He was a Rotisserie Baseball (forerunner of fantasy sports) unicorn. Multiple positions with good average, power and some stolen bases.

People seem to forget that before his growth spurt, Benny's position was point guard which is why he has point guard skills. Part of that skill set includes driving into the lane and scoring/dishing.

From the film I've seen, he takes a special interest in feeding the ball to the big guys down low.

Now that he's 6'9", it should be interesting to see how he puts those skills to work...
Yes, Benny’s PG roots and passing ability should really help. I’m hopeful he can be a wing-type forward who can get into the lane and cause the defense to collapse.

Last edited:
Yes, Benny’s PG roots and passing ability should really help. I’m hopeful he can be a wing-type forward who can get into the lane and cause the defense to collapse.
I will not be surprised if he ends up being this team's top rebounder.

Melo did it once before from the SF position...

He was a Rotisserie Baseball (forerunner of fantasy sports) unicorn. Multiple positions with good average, power and some stolen bases.
He also had a great line as a commentator. He was talking about how dumb it is when guys dive into first base instead of running through.

He said "It's faster to run through the bag, otherwise you'd see some really exciting finishes in the 100 meter dash."

Benny kind of reminds me of John Kruk, who was originally a point guard that eventually "outgrew" the position.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom