Cole Swider Transferring from Nova to Syracuse | Page 33 | Syracusefan.com

Cole Swider Transferring from Nova to Syracuse

Is this a sting? Are you cop? The law says you have to tell me if you’re a cop.

30 Rock Fellow Kids GIF by PeacockTV

If he is we are all quite screwed... Separate from the matter at hand
I see your will power failed you and you went directly to veiled personal attack mode. A flashing neon sign of weakness. John Kruk would never do that.

I see your will power failed you and you went directly to veiled personal attack mode. A flashing neon sign of weakness. John Kruk would never do that.

Personal attack mode? Nah- more like it's Friday afternoon have some fun mode.

Chill Leopard GIF

So trying to recycle vs starting new threads.

I watched the game for a third time - (yeah it's nice having hoops back).

First of all it was Pace. Let me say that again, the opponent was Pace.

Ok that is out of the way. I know we have the PG position as the crux of our season and where our ceiling is. I think that has some truth in it but to me after seeing Cole testing his sea legs as a guard and more traditional SF against Pace, I think it's Cole and Jessie to go with Buddy that will determine the ceiling.

Coming in even the optimists saw Cole as more of an attack the closeout guy and that is it. He handled the ball a lot vs Pace and comfortably. You could see him grow into the game and also being cautious as he put all the off season work into action. He could have had 30 plus easily if needed. Two guys who can be that prolific as scorers, and doing so at multiple levels is itself something that could push up our ceiling.

If the opponent itself wasn't making this a fluke and Cole being on the ball more is something he is comfortable with then it changes this team. You get down the court and get the ball in either Buddy or one of the Forward's hands and go to work. Use Jesse as well off screens to move the ball and as an pressure release in the half court to reset and give him options to kick it out to.

Paying close attention to the second half again- Joe really never needed to penetrate much and Symir didn't need to get all the way to the tin- They just needed to keep the ball moving and make sure the offense got going and the ball to a shooter or playmaker. Joe could have been better yes. He wasn't as bad as I thought in the second half after re watching that third time- he just is what he is.

We will run into teams whose ball pressure will make this difficult and we get beat because of it. That is reality.

With that said playing with what appears to be possibly two big time scoring threats who can both be on the ball is a big deal giving we had figured still just one with "others" around him. Looking forward to seeing how much more Cole grows into using these new skillsets as competition improves. Really hoping it's legit because it really changes things if it is.

Disclaimer- we got excited with AG last year too albeit a somewhat lesser extent. Gotta see more first.

Ok that is out of the way. I know we have the PG position as the crux of our season and where our ceiling is. I think that has some truth in it but to me after seeing Cole testing his sea legs as a guard and more traditional SF against Pace, I think it's Cole and Jessie to go with Buddy that will determine the ceiling.

Coming in even the optimists saw Cole as more of an attack the closeout guy and that is it. He handled the ball a lot vs Pace and comfortably. You could see him grow into the game and also being cautious as he put all the off season work into action. He could have had 30 plus easily if needed. Two guys who can be that prolific as scorers, and doing so at multiple levels is itself something that could push up our ceiling.

If the opponent itself wasn't making this a fluke and Cole being on the ball more is something he is comfortable with then it changes this team. You get down the court and get the ball in either Buddy or one of the Forward's hands and go to work. Use Jesse as well off screens to move the ball and as an pressure release in the half court to reset and give him options to kick it out to.

Paying close attention to the second half again- Joe really never needed to penetrate much and Symir didn't need to get all the way to the tin- They just needed to keep the ball moving and make sure the offense got going and the ball to a shooter or playmaker. Joe could have been better yes. He wasn't as bad as I thought in the second half after re watching that third time- he just is what he is.

We will run into teams whose ball pressure will make this difficult and we get beat because of it. That is reality.

With that said playing with what appears to be possibly two big time scoring threats who can both be on the ball is a big deal giving we had figured still just one with "others" around him. Looking forward to seeing how much more Cole grows into using these new skillsets as competition improves. Really hoping it's legit because it really changes things if it is.

Disclaimer- we got excited with AG last year too albeit a somewhat lesser extent. Gotta see more first.
AG’s issues were more mental than anything else. When he was on we could beat anybody. He just faded out over the last 6 weeks of the season & never got it back.
Swider’s got the Nova experience behind him and a “steadier” game than Griffin. Knock on wood, but I can’t see him disappearing to the extent that AG did. We shall see.

It was probably a blessing that Buddy played limited minutes as it gave some others more chances to perform. I think the maturity of our team will win us a few close games as long as FT's arent an ongoing issue.

I think Cole playing the 2 is good forum fodder but with no injury or foul trouble it is a situation that will never arise in terms of need.

He won't play the 2. It's more about having ball skills and being better than advertised based on extremely early returns than anything.

This team can't maximize it's potential if either PG is in the ball more than 10 seconds to begin a possession. One guy being the target guy even if he is an AA is bubble city. Two guys who are true shooters/scorers night in night out is a different scenario. That plus a legit 5.. means better than bubble city possibly by a reasonable margin.

We came into yesterday knowing we've got Buddy and hoping maybe Benny could be a big time frosh. That was one scenario where the team could be better than what we have been. Part of that was Jesse and moderate PG improvements. Then Cole comes out swinging and with some skills we didn't expect to be present. The pieces to complement two good scorers look to be there as well.

Last edited:
He won't play the 2. It's more about having ball skills and being better than advertised based on extremely early returns than anything.
I think against a D1 player with some size he won’t be able to do what he did in this game. It’s not like he drove 10 times to the hoop, he did twice and both times he looked like he was in slow motion with an awkward dribble that he was able to keep the defender away with because of his size, that won’t fly in a couple weeks. Not knocking him but he looks exactly as advertised, which isn’t a bad thing.

I think against a D1 player with some size he won’t be able to do what he did in this game. It’s not like he drove 10 times to the hoop, he did twice and both times he looked like he was in slow motion with an awkward dribble that he was able to keep the defender away with because of his size, that won’t fly in a couple weeks. Not knocking him but he looks exactly as advertised, which isn’t a bad thing.

Yeah it wasn't so much the drive as it was his comfort level on the ball. If he can beat a PF and force teams to put a third guard on him where he has 4 inches of height that works for us too. My concern with him was that you put a PF out there on him and he is done for the game. Quick release, attacks a close out and is comfortable with the ball enough to make a play where he has a matchup he can exploit.

I mean he won't be doing that against Paolo for instance which- that is reality. Not saying we can't beat top 5 teams with a good game but yeah.

Big thing is that we had zero true C play last year. We also really didn't even have one consistent perimeter scoring threat until late in the year when Buddy got in rhythm. AG was up and down. So if you can have the Buddy we need and then a legit second guy who gets you 15 a game plus, and not a stiff then you just need the other pieces to do their thing. Not discounting what QG gave us either its just we are a perimeter shooting team and we were all over the map last year for a while.

I'm gonna put above average PG play as a gravy item at this point. So to me Cole and Buddy being an extremely productive duo could get us off the bubble.

For those that dream of a season being in the top 25 all year then that is all about what the PGs do. I'm ok with 35-40 and solidly a tourney team ( hard to say that) but with a very good offense and the zone it's a good squad to have come March.

Yeah it wasn't so much the drive as it was his comfort level on the ball. If he can beat a PF and force teams to put a third guard on him where he has 4 inches of height that works for us too. My concern with him was that you put a PF out there on him and he is done for the game. Quick release, attacks a close out and is comfortable with the ball enough to make a play where he has a matchup he can exploit.

I mean he won't be doing that against Paolo for instance which- that is reality. Not saying we can't beat top 5 teams with a good game but yeah.

Big thing is that we had zero true C play last year. We also really didn't even have one consistent perimeter scoring threat until late in the year when Buddy got in rhythm. AG was up and down. So if you can have the Buddy we need and then a legit second guy who gets you 15 a game plus, and not a stiff then you just need the other pieces to do their thing. Not discounting what QG gave us either its just we are a perimeter shooting team and we were all over the map last year for a while.

I'm gonna put above average PG play as a gravy item at this point. So to me Cole and Buddy being an extremely productive duo could get us off the bubble.
I think we have the fire power to beat ANY team in the country, that said I think any team can beat us. It’s going to be feast or famine with this team, granted more feast but I can see some really ugly games coming from this squad.

I think we have the fire power to beat ANY team in the country, that said I think any team can beat us. It’s going to be feast or famine with this team, granted more feast but I can see some really ugly games coming from this squad.

No doubt. We really need some of those feasts to be early. I'm also looking to see if we can win a rock fight. That will be a measurement too. We do have a lineup that could be pretty good on defense just that it will score like it's 2018-2019..

No doubt. We really need some of those feasts to be early. I'm also looking to see if we can win a rock fight. That will be a measurement too. We do have a lineup that could be pretty good on defense just that it will score like it's 2018-2019..
On the positive side of that, we looked like we’re coming out of the gates shooting the lights out.

I think Cole playing the 2 is good forum fodder but with no injury or foul trouble it is a situation that will never arise in terms of need.

I think this is kind of like when he played Andrew White at the 2 early in the season, or even Woody last year. "Break Glass in Case of Emergency" auditions.

Not sure if I missed it vs Pace but it was noticeable tonight in Cole taking on some of a leadership role. Kid is intense and focused. If he misses a shot or makes a mistake he takes it personally and is out there to remedy it.

Love the passion and that killer instinct mindset. I think he gets better as a rebounder over time just given that commitment. Saw him taking to Jessie Frank and Benny too. Having a leader step up in this group is huge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom