Cole Swider Transferring from Nova to Syracuse | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Cole Swider Transferring from Nova to Syracuse

Hopefully Frank stays. That would be two 5’s with good potential. On the rare occasion we had to go 3 deep at the 5 I would expect it to be Jimmy. He’s more aggressive than Cole.
Months back I saw one of the most absurd posts ever on this board and it was Boeheim playing the 5. I said if that ever happened I would stop watching.

Well if we get Jimmy, that’s a Boeheim, and he might see the 5. I didn’t consider that avenue when I made that declaration! Well played. Guess I’ll just pull an OrangeDW and stay anyway. By the way how is the hockey going?

Months back I saw one of the most absurd posts ever on this board and it was Boeheim playing the 5. I said if that ever happened I would stop watching.

Well if we get Jimmy, that’s a Boeheim, and he might see the 5. I didn’t consider that avenue when I made that declaration! Well played. Guess I’ll just pull an OrangeDW and stay anyway. By the way how is the hockey going?
Come on, we gotta FORECHECK!!!!

How did that sound?

Listen, I’m always happy anyone wants to come and play for Syracuse but I honestly dislike this pickup. Please hear me out before the JB homers go cray.

1. I watched a lot of nova the past few years. He is such a defensive liability, it’s kind of scary. Now I know the zone can mask some but you have to be able to block if you are a forward especially weak side blocking. Him paired with the guys at the top. They are going to get craved up. He had what? 3 blocks all year. That is HORRIBLE

2. This pretty means Q isnt gonna come back here to Syracuse( barring Jimmy Jr is coming here) It’s professional or transfer. I would take Q over Cole anyday of the week because he posses athleticism that we desperately need.

3. He cant put the ball on the floor...like at all. He’s a great shooter but we have them already. What we dont have is someone who can put the ball on the floor. If this was a freshman or even a sophmore, I would have a little bit more hope but he’s gonna be entering his 4th year. It’s kind of “you are what you are”.

4. If the starting line up is really Jg, Buddy, Jimmy Jr and Cole...LOL, they will get murdered in the ACC

Anyways, lets see what happens

Listen, I’m always happy anyone wants to come and play for Syracuse but I honestly dislike this pickup. Please hear me out before the JB homers go cray.

1. I watched a lot of nova the past few years. He is such a defensive liability, it’s kind of scary. Now I know the zone can mask some but you have to be able to block if you are a forward especially weak side blocking. Him paired with the guys at the top. They are going to get craved up. He had what? 3 blocks all year. That is HORRIBLE

2. This pretty means Q isnt gonna come back here to Syracuse( barring Jimmy Jr is coming here) It’s professional or transfer. I would take Q over Cole anyday of the week because he posses athleticism that we desperately need.

3. He cant put the ball on the floor...like at all. He’s a great shooter but we have them already. What we dont have is someone who can put the ball on the floor. If this was a freshman or even a sophmore, I would have a little bit more hope but he’s gonna be entering his 4th year. It’s kind of “you are what you are”.

4. If the starting line up is really Jg, Buddy, Jimmy Jr and Cole...LOL, they will get murdered in the ACC

I'll say that I do think we need more athleticism...but if you watched a lot of Nova then you would know that Cole is not bad at all at putting the ball on the deck. Actually he is better at putting it on the floor then Quincy who REALLY struggles there. But Q is definitely more of a athlete and thats not even a discussion.

Great job by little G. Its great to see him land a big one. Cole has a chance to be really good. Hes a solid strong 6'9 who can shoot lights out. A Marek with a shot.
I really hope Frank and Woody stick. Both of those guys will play a ton and be very good. Woody might actually start at the 3 over 5 star if he stays.
Q is most likely gone. Im thinking Europe and wish him the best, But who knows he might return. Griff is gone. As to Jimmy he will play behind Cole.
Excellent job by the staff.

I haven't watched him play a lot but my initial thoughts are the same as yours. Great 3 point shooter and has good size, but I haven't a lot of other skills on video.

It feels like we're becoming a mid major kind of team with great shooters, some size, but no athleticism.

Last edited:

I have watched a lot of Nova too.

1- He was often guarding a smaller player on the perimeter because of the style of mtm Nova plays. That is going to make a stretch 4 look awful on D. He was not even close to as bad as you make him out to be. And this has nothing to do with JB.

2- Lets see what happens first you have 4 forwards possibly leaving likely 3 for sure and Cole is 1 player.

3- Cole can attack a closeout and absolutely can put it on the floor if he needs to. He is not Marek but he isn't a stiff. Again not sure how you could have watched so much Nova and not seen that.

4- How would that be the starting lineup? At minimum it's JG3, Buddy, Benny, Cole, Jesse.

I'll say that I do think we need more athleticism...but if you watched a lot of Nova then you would know that Cole is not bad at all at putting the ball on the deck. Actually he is better at putting it on the floor then Quincy who REALLY struggles there. But Q is definitely more of a athlete and thats not even a discussion.
We must have watched a different Swider cuz that handle was suspecttttt. If he wasnt catching and shooting, he was pretty useless on the floor but hey, maybe new system will help

We must have watched a different Swider cuz that handle was suspecttttt. If he wasnt catching and shooting, he was pretty useless on the floor but hey, maybe new system will help
Maybe you should watch the last higlight reel posted on him. Theres more evidence of him putting it on the deck from the 3 point line and taking it to the rack then Q has ever done in his 2 years here at Syracuse. Please show me where Q puts it on the floor and actually gets to the hoop? Q has done most of his work in the paint where he doesn't have to dribble too much...im not saying he's some all time dude at putting it on the floor but if his handle is as bad as you make it out to be then whats Quincys?

Cole sticks out with Nova because he is the polar opposite of what Wright usually recruits. I agree the handle isn't making him a guard but he also played for a coach who wants 5 guys to put it on the deck regularly. It's certainly on par with Southerland or Braswells handle and for what his role is likely to be I don't see a problem there.

Frankly, I’m ok with that. That’s all Braswell could do on offense, and he helped big time - when he was hitting shots.

Yeah, on O - Swider is a beefier Bras, with a better shot.

On D? TBD.
Likely a downgrade, but that’s mostly because Earl was here for 3 years.

From the limited clips that I’ve seen, his handle looks better than Quincy’s. Granted, that isn’t saying much. I haven’t seen any defensive film on him, but Q was a good rebounder so I’ll give the advantage to him.

Yeah, on O - Swider is a beefier Bras, with a better shot.

On D? TBD.
Likely a downgrade, but that’s mostly because Earl was here for 3 years.
I’ve already accepted that we will be mediocre at best defensively, in the absolute best case scenario.

Shaping up to be a 2019-20 or 2016-17 type squad IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom