Colt Brennan had CTE | Syracusefan.com

Colt Brennan had CTE

And how does it compare with players in other sports, like soccer ...which I hear causes just as many concussions?
It's also about the repeated non-concussion trauma. It would be nice to be able to compare it all. Hockey would be another good one to look at.

Last edited:
I think life causes concussions. Obviously, certain activities increase your chances of concussion, but some of my biggest bell ringings have been outside of sport.

I suggest listening to interviews with Dr. Mark Gordon (I've heard a few podcasts with him) for anyone who suffers from long-term effects of head trauma or knows someone who does. He has had pretty good success with his protocols.

I think life causes concussions. Obviously, certain activities increase your chances of concussion, but some of my biggest bell ringings have been outside of sport.

I suggest listening to interviews with Dr. Mark Gordon (I've heard a few podcasts with him) for anyone who suffers from long-term effects of head trauma or knows someone who does. He has had pretty good success with his protocols.
Mark Gordon is a life extension/anti-aging quack and no one should listen to him about anything

Do they regularly check for CTE in autopsies? It would seem to be a good place to start to see how regularly it occurs among the population etc.
I would doubt it.

Do they regularly check for CTE in autopsies? It would seem to be a good place to start to see how regularly it occurs among the population etc.
I would be surprised. I think they're just looking for a cause of death. If they know it's from something else they have no reason to go there.

Mark Gordon is a life extension/anti-aging quack and no one should listen to him about anything
So you've listened to him about TBI/CTE? Or is this an opinion based on a preconception?
I am not invested in him one way or the other. I just found his takes and protocol on treating injured veterans with TBIs to be interesting and plausible. But, I am generally curious and open-minded on things that conventional western medicine considers "quackery" (Dr. John Sarno on back pain, hallucinogenic treatments for depression, thc for seizures, etc) so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

So you've listened to him about TBI/CTE? Or is this an opinion based on a preconception?
I am not invested in him one way or the other. I just found his takes and protocol on treating injured veterans with TBIs to be interesting and plausible. But, I am generally curious and open-minded on things that conventional western medicine considers "quackery" (Dr. John Sarno on back pain, hallucinogenic treatments for depression, thc for seizures, etc) so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
Well, he's never published anything in a journal indexed in PubMed, and they index some bad journals, and his on his website he direct sells a bunch of garbage supplements, sooooooo

This issue has faded into the background over the last few years. I am sure the NFL is happy about that. I hope this conversation will move to the forefront again.

I'm going through a crisis of conscience on this honestly. MY oldest boy (10) wants to play football and I really don't want him to because of the risk of brain injury and CTE. It's to the point where I almost feel guilty watching football now, as much as I love it, as odds are that some of the players on the field will die at a young age and/or suffer from the effects of the constant pounding to the head. I legitimately feel like a bad person knowing I won't let my own kid play a barbaric sport but I'll cheer "my team" onto glory.

I love football, I love Syracuse football, etc - but the CTE problem makes me feel like a hypocrite.

This is my question too. What is the baseline in the normal population.

Colt may have taken a lot of shots but he was also a QB.

I'm going through a crisis of conscience on this honestly. MY oldest boy (10) wants to play football and I really don't want him to because of the risk of brain injury and CTE. It's to the point where I almost feel guilty watching football now, as much as I love it, as odds are that some of the players on the field will die at a young age and/or suffer from the effects of the constant pounding to the head. I legitimately feel like a bad person knowing I won't let my own kid play a barbaric sport but I'll cheer "my team" onto glory.

I love football, I love Syracuse football, etc - but the CTE problem makes me feel like a hypocrite.
You are not alone. I don't have kids, but I find myself often wondering what I am doing after seeing another vicious hit.

I feel you.

Coached football for years and with one son playing, loved being on the field, Saturday morning football in Syracuse was great! However, after my oldest son chose Hoops and she refused to let our the younger boys play football due to concussion risk. I've been married just over 20 years now, so you learn to pick your battles, this was one I was not going to win. They're 10 and 12 now and watch football religiously with me and I feel crazy explaining it, them seeing my passion about it, wanting to play the game but me having to tell them they can't play.

"I legitimately feel like a bad person knowing I won't let my own kid play a barbaric sport but I'll cheer "my team" onto glory."

this is me! The shame...

Last edited:
This is my question too. What is the baseline in the normal population.

Colt may have taken a lot of shots but he was also a QB.
I listened to an interview a couple of years ago with the head of the Boston Brain Bank, Ann McKee, who is a leader in CTE researcher.

CTE isn't really about concussions. It's about the number of times one has absorbed contact - any drill where the OL and DL hit each other at the line of scrimmage, for example. The key is a collision where the brain shifts and hits the skull, as it would where a lineman collides violently with defender in front of him. It's not one instance, it's thousands of instances. In some players, for reasons unclear and regardless of position, this contact causes a protein to build up in the brain that causes changes in behavior. It's unclear as of yet why this happens, but genes could be a factor.

McKee was asked in the interview I was listening to (a podcast with the guy who hosted "Adam Ruins Everything") what % of NFL players she would estimate suffer from the condition. She said, based on the number of brains donated from players who had played in the NFL in a certain period in the 1980s, that conservatively, one can estimate that 30% of NFL players will eventually suffer from the condition.

TLDR: Me as a marching band kid has a far, far, far lower chance of being diagnosed with CTE than a guy who played in the NFL, or even college.

I listened to an interview a couple of years ago with the head of the Boston Brain Bank, Ann McKee, who is a leader in CTE researcher.

CTE isn't really about concussions. It's about the number of times one has absorbed contact - any drill where the OL and DL hit each other at the line of scrimmage, for example. The key is a collision where the brain shifts and hits the skull, as it would where a lineman collides violently with defender in front of him. It's not one instance, it's thousands of instances. In some players, for reasons unclear and regardless of position, this contact causes a protein to build up in the brain that causes changes in behavior. It's unclear as of yet why this happens.

McKee was asked in the interview I was listening to (a podcast with the guy who hosted "Adam Ruins Everything") what % of NFL players she would estimate suffer from the condition. She said, based on the number of brains donated from players who had played in the NFL in a certain period in the 1980s, that conservatively, one can estimate that 30% of NFL players will eventually suffer from the condition.

Ok so why does every ol and dl not have cte?

CTE is not found by a pathologist/medical examiner or coroner during autopsy. Hell, sometimes coroners aren't always medical professionals, their role is to investigate the death and make a determination. As part of the investigation they may have an autopsy conducted.

In order for CTE examination, the brain needs to be sent to a research facility that specializes in conducting CTE research. As said above, Boston is the leading area right now for CTE research.

CTE effects people differently depending on what part of the brain takes on the brunt of the CTE damage.

Last edited:
Ok so why does every ol and dl not have cte?
Probably the same reasons not everyone develops parkinsons or diabetes. The human body is complex. Certain things increase or decrease risk but nothing is guaranteed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom