Class of 2016 - Commit Status | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 Commit Status

Brouse is a decommit.
Scott is visiting,I think which is a good sign. IMHOhe might be valuable as a primary change of pace back up. A little like Zack BUT better,i.e..more effective and dynamic.

Assuming Riggins is out along with Palmer that leaves us at 11 commitments. There’s room for at least 10 and maybe more right.

Assuming Riggins is out along with Palmer that leaves us at 11 commitments. There’s room for at least 10 and maybe more right.

That also assumes Ginnetti is out, but I think that's right. Room for 21 if there are NO other departures (5th year players moving on or underclassmen transferring.) I expect we'll sign close to a full class of 25 if the stars align.

Reactions: 007
That also assumes Ginnetti is out, but I think that's right. Room for 21 if there are NO other departures (5th year players moving on or underclassmen transferring.) I expect we'll sign close to a full class of 25 if the stars align.

Agreed. Actually, I will be surprised if they do not bring in 25 for 2016. I think they will also try to do it again for the 2017 class. They can and should try to turn this roster over as quickly as possible.

taking into consideration current commits, early enrollees possibly being counted against last year, anything else?

taking into consideration current commits, early enrollees possibly being counted against last year, anything else?
We can only backdate one, I believe. Some people are speculating after some players move on that we'll be able to sign the max of 25. Others I've heard speculate around 21. Attrition will most likely occur after a coaching change, so I would lean closer to the max class. That being said, that's a lot of players to add in less than a month.

No offer yet, as per article. Visiting FAU 1/15 on OV. I would guess if Smith is offered, he will commit on his visit.
Seems there are a few kids that have ovs and no offer yet. Sounds like the staff wants to meet the kid, see if they fit and guage interest before extending that offer.

Seems there are a few kids that have ovs and no offer yet. Sounds like the staff wants to meet the kid, see if they fit and guage interest before extending that offer.
I would also guess there are some situations (like Clarke's) that the staff knows if they offer, they will commit on the spot (and this may be another) and right now some of these kids have to be backup plans, we just don't have that many slots for them to all be Plan A. So if the first choices decide they aren't interested after their OV, then these kids will get their offers lickity split.

I would also guess there are some situations (like Clarke's) that the staff knows if they offer, they will commit on the spot (and this may be another) and right now some of these kids have to be backup plans, we just don't have that many slots for them to all be Plan A. So if the first choices decide they aren't interested after their OV, then these kids will get their offers lickity split.
There are also other elements possibly at play here. How many can be backdated? Are there transfers that we don't know about? Are some of these kids possible grayshirts? And unfortunately Riggins still doesn't have an ov scheduled.

We can continue this discussion in the Commit Status thread.

And one more question I have with Clarke... was his offer from the last staff still good with this one. I asked.. hopefully we can get an answer.

I don't know how they plan to survive with the small cast of running backs they have in the stable...need to beef up the defense but the run game has not been impressive past few seasons. Has any explosive RBs been added to the roster?

Looking at the numbers of current commits (12) subtract one for being applied to last years total, subtract one for possible attrition, that leaves 10 commits. Up to 25 scholies and a huge need at DE and DB. QBs are supposedly set at (2), not a huge need at RB (2-3?), not a lot of action on DL, why not load up on your biggest need (DE) and see which frosh DEs can play early and assume a couple grow out of the position? Same with DBs.

Looking at the numbers of current commits (12) subtract one for being applied to last years total, subtract one for possible attrition, that leaves 10 commits. Up to 25 scholies and a huge need at DE and DB. QBs are supposedly set at (2), not a huge need at RB (2-3?), not a lot of action on DL, why not load up on your biggest need (DE) and see which frosh DEs can play early and assume a couple grow out of the position? Same with DBs.
They can only take 25 if there is additional attrition with existing players otherwise you can't go over the 85 total cap. Now another possibility is gray shirting some of these kids. Not something SU has done much of lately.

They can only take 25 if there is additional attrition with existing players otherwise you can't go over the 85 total cap. Now another possibility is gray shirting some of these kids. Not something SU has done much of lately.
Honestly we can't really say if this staff will try and gray shirt some kids. I would prefer not too, but we don't know what Babers will do now that he is at a P5 for the first time

Honestly we can't really say if this staff will try and gray shirt some kids. I would prefer not too, but we don't know what Babers will do now that he is at a P5 for the first time
I saw where Miami and UNC both had 5-6 early enrollees this week. My guess is that not all of those kids were early HS graduates but some gray shirts. If you have a kid who is on the cusp and can go prep it can be an option.

this staff has no loyalty to veteran player who dont play. I can see the staff asking some of these guys to take the degree and go. Players like Hindy, Cornelius, McFarlane may not be here by the summer.

this staff has no loyalty to veteran player who dont play. I can see the staff asking some of these guys to take the degree and go. Players like Hindy, Cornelius, McFarlane may not be here by the summer.
I agree. If you are scheduling this many ovs and already have ten commits some players have to be leaving early.

With Riggins not getting a visit or an OV, I guess we've moved on from him?
(you'd think they would just let him know, but I guess that's not how anybody does it. Bummer.)

My napkin math shows we have 26 OV's over these next 3 weekends (including this one, obvs).
7, 12, 7. 4 are current SU commits.

So, that makes 22 guys for about 11 available slots.
(more openings possible if some current RS juniors are "encouraged" to take their degree and go)

Anybody who knows this sorta thing, care to stack-rank our priorities, vs. the available options?

We desperately need DE's, DB's, and a stud WR or 2.

Obviously, we generally want the highest rated players, but some of them may be longshots.
Curious to see what Dino and Co do, and if they can pull any rabbits out of hats these next 3 weeks.

721Comstock said:
With Riggins not getting a visit or an OV, I guess we've moved on from him? (you'd think they would just let him know, but I guess that's not how anybody does it. Bummer.) My napkin math shows we have 26 OV's over these next 3 weekends (including this one, obvs). 7, 12, 7. 4 are current SU commits. So, that makes 22 guys for about 11 available slots. (more openings possible if some current RS juniors are "encouraged" to take their degree and go) Anybody who knows this sorta thing, care to stack-rank our priorities, vs. the available options? We desperately need DE's, DB's, and a stud WR or 2. Obviously, we generally want the highest rated players, but some of them may be longshots. Curious to see what Dino and Co do, and if they can pull any rabbits out of hats these next 3 weeks.

We have and he knows.

I have no problems with grayshirting nor giving 5th year guys notice. I just want SU's staff members to be honest, respectful and forthright. Don't be like Alabama and throw the grayshirt at a recruit at the last minute after offering normal status previously.

For new/late recruits it's OK to offer a grayshirt from the get go. "We really like you, but our class is full. Work with us and join us in January." If there are no other P5 offers or the recruit really loves SU then it's a good thing.

Dirty, dirty, pool is dirty. It's not where I want SU to be.

#OrangeIsTheNewFast

Wouldn't be surprised to see a few 5th year Seniors moving on with a new system being put in place. Previous experience in a system can be a detriment, and younger players aren't so ingrained in their reactions.

yeah cornelius, mcfarlane, even morgan can very well follow the paths of kinder and sloan. just my thoughts, no inside info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom