Committee made history... | Syracusefan.com

Committee made history...

bpo57

Living Legend
First time ever that a team enters the tournament with a higher ranking than their seed. Louisville finished 3rd in the Coaches Poll. There is no possible way to rationalize that seeding.

Two of the odds-on favorites in Vegas to win at all are #4 seeds. When you consider how much harder it is to win it all from the 4 as opposed to the 1 that's quite noteworthy. Lville and MSU are drawing much more demand than Nova, Wisconsin, Creighton et al. Nova had one signature win and it happened four months ago. Played in a very mediocre conference that was not much better than the AAC.

I wonder if Jerry Tarkanian is the Commissioner of the AAC. Man that conference got hosed with low seedlings plus SMU being first ranked team since 2004 to not get an invite.

Lastly it seems like the overriding agenda was to make sure that Wichita State has to run the gauntlet in order to go 40-0. Comparing their bracket to the West is like comparing the B-12 to the SWAC. The West is soft as a baby's behind.

My only guess is that these guys thought yesterday was St Paddy's Day and got liquored up before they came to work.

I still can't fathom nova getting a 2, and being in discussion for a 1 according to the committee guy. If Louisville got penalized for beating nobody why didn't nova? Our resume is better than nova, they have 1 top win.

Interesting.

Also, who was the last #1 seed to have lost a game by 35+ points?

First time ever that a team enters the tournament with a higher ranking than their seed. Louisville finished 3rd in the Coaches Poll. There is no possible way to rationalize that seeding.

Two of the odds-on favorites in Vegas to win at all are #4 seeds. When you consider how much harder it is to win it all from the 4 as opposed to the 1 that's quite noteworthy. Lville and MSU are drawing much more demand than Nova, Wisconsin, Creighton et al. Nova had one signature win and it happened four months ago. Played in a very mediocre conference that was not much better than the AAC.

I wonder if Jerry Tarkanian is the Commissioner of the AAC. Man that conference got hosed with low seedlings plus SMU being first ranked team since 2004 to not get an invite.

Lastly it seems like the overriding agenda was to make sure that Wichita State has to run the gauntlet in order to go 40-0. Comparing their bracket to the West is like comparing the B-12 to the SWAC. The West is soft as a baby's behind.

My only guess is that these guys thought yesterday was St Paddy's Day and got liquored up before they came to work.
It's hard for 4 seeds to beat 1 seeds because usually 1 seeds are better than 4 seeds. It's definitely weird but Louisville will be heavily favored over their one seed.

we should just pretend that louisville is the 1 and WSU is the 4.

It's hard for 4 seeds to beat 1 seeds because usually 1 seeds are better than 4 seeds. It's definitely weird but Louisville will be heavily favored over their one seed.

exactly. As of this morning, Louisville is 8/1 and Wichita 15/1 to win it all.

it's also hard for 4s because they play the 13 and the 5 to get to the regionals while the 1 plays the 16 and the 8. Louisville would be favored over most of the teams seeded ahead of them as would MSU.

Regardless of seed, Louisville looks like a buzz saw right now. Frankly, just like Pitino teams do every year. His teams get better throughout the year even though they play a style that should wear them down. I am fine with Wichita's draw. Even Marshall took it in stride which is the first thing he's ever said that I respect. You say you're the best, you want to be champions, you gotta beat the best. We did it to get our championship and we had to do it on our other attempts as well (IU and UK in 87 and 96).

I liked Marshall's reaction. I give him credit and he's smart to play it that way. Still think his squad got hosed.

it's also hard for 4s because they play the 13 and the 5 to get to the regionals while the 1 plays the 16 and the 8. Louisville would be favored over most of the teams seeded ahead of them as would MSU.
they'll wipe the floor with st louis and whoever else they have to play

it sucks for them but they're so good that it doesn't matter. the seeding is so bad that it doesn't matter in a weird way.

posted this in another thread:

if you break down their resume it is really nothing to be afraid of:

19-0 vs +100 RPI, 6 of those in the 100's the other 13 vs 200+

7-5 vs the top 100, and Cincy is the only good win, there other top 100 wins: 2x Southern Methodist, 2x , Southern Miss??, Missouri St???

they are due for a stinker in the tourney, I would be surprised if they survived the first weekend

add on to that 2 more wins against +100 teams in conf tourney and another win over UConn

the committee was clearly not impressed by this conference

did nova have a top 25 win? I know creighton (2x) and syracuse both destroyed nova head to head.

to add they are 5-5 against teams in the tournament, take away a win against LA Laffayette and 3X UConn and they are 1-5

and of those 10 games Cincy is the highest seeded at 5, they split with them

did nova have a top 25 win? I know creighton (2x) and syracuse both destroyed nova head to head.

They beat Kansas. Not sure what other Top 25 wins they had, if any.

posted this in another thread:

if you break down their resume it is really nothing to be afraid of:

19-0 vs +100 RPI, 6 of those in the 100's the other 13 vs 200+

7-5 vs the top 100, and Cincy is the only good win, there other top 100 wins: 2x Southern Methodist, 2x , Southern Miss??, Missouri St???

they are due for a stinker in the tourney, I would be surprised if they survived the first weekend

add on to that 2 more wins against +100 teams in conf tourney and another win over UConn

the committee was clearly not impressed by this conference

You'd be surprised if they last the first weekend? That's a pretty bold statement. I think the AAC is a better league than you give it credit for- I'd take the top five of the AAC over the top 5 of the BE any day of the week.

Louisville's resume isn't hugely impressive, but the advanced metrics love them.

Some times it isn't just who you play but how you do against them. If you're continually pasting people by 30 it should make folks take notice.

You'd be surprised if they last the first weekend? That's a pretty bold statement. I think the AAC is a better league than you give it credit for- I'd take the top five of the AAC over the top 5 of the BE any day of the week.
what on their resume makes you think they can win 2 or more games in this tourney? beating Rutgers by 60?

Louisville's on a roll now. That's the only reason to place them higher. The committee basically told the voters that their rankings mostly suck and we've said that for years. Take out the politics and this seems correct. Wouldn't it be a pi$$er if Manhattan took them out in the first round? Manhattan's capable of winning that game. Their coach knows Rickie's secrets. Their team plays against that offense daily. They stop Smith, they win the game. Louisville's only problems are Manhattan, Kentucky and Duke; nobody else can keep up with them.

what on their resume makes you think they can win 2 or more games in this tourney? beating Rutgers by 60?

Is there any way to conduct a wager on this? If Lville wins two games then I win and if not then you win. I guess the folks that set odds in Vegas are a bunch of bumpkins.

I still can't fathom nova getting a 2, and being in discussion for a 1 according to the committee guy. If Louisville got penalized for beating nobody why didn't nova? Our resume is better than nova, they have 1 top win.

The difference is Nova won 6 of their last 7 and we looked like a bubble team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom