Communication Style/Methods of Supervisor | Syracusefan.com

Communication Style/Methods of Supervisor

SUFan44

Hall of Fame
Wanted to get everyone's thoughts on this as it is something that I have been thinking about.

Have a relatively new supervisor (7 months or so), and have had repeated situations where he texts directly to me after business hours, about inconsequential/non-urgent matters.

Latest situation involved a text at 7:55 pm about two different things, both of which could have been sent at any point the next day, followed up by a 7:01 am text the following morning about a more important manner but more of a "hey, next time we do this, would you mind adding this" sort of thing.

My question is: what is acceptable these days in terms of email/text/phone call conversations from supervisors, and how would you react in this situation?

The line of business we are in involves many nights and weekends during our busy season, but we are past that and now into a more dormant, regular 9-5-type cycle.

Do you continue to respond? Do you just not answer until the following day until the business hours start? I have tried that, and it has not changed much. I just find it very presumptuous that your worker would want to engage at all moments of the day -- especially when you know the worker has two toddlers (5 & 2) at home. I also fear that with the new supervisor, if you don't show that you're invested by communicating at the time he does (and what invested means to one person to the next varies, I get that), then you aren't going to see the type of career progression you might want.

Great question. I manage 15 people and feel more 24/7 than ever lately based on asks coming from above. I typically avoid all contact with my employees after 6 and on weekends unless it is an emergency. We usually ask people to be available by phone 7-6.

My boss and I are on the same page in this regard. He may just be someone new trying to make a name for himself and seeing where he can push. I’d sit down and have a conversation with him if I were you because in my experience if you keep answering this will happen more and more.

It's a fine line to walk.

As you say, you may not end up on the career path you want, should your new boss stay in power.

Alternately, "training" your boss is very important also. I have found that a gently-worded conversation about what is and is not urgent could help. Notice I said 'could'. I've had supervisors with which this works, and some with which it hasn't. Though I haven't had anything negative happen with those that it hasn't worked.

Some people just need to get their thoughts out before they forget them. Give him the old, ‘hey, just seeing this text now’ the next day. Ask him if he’s expecting a response every time. If he is, then you need a conversation.

Some people just need to get their thoughts out before they forget them. Give him the old, ‘hey, just seeing this text now’ the next day. Ask him if he’s expecting a response every time. If he is, then you need a conversation.
Yeah, I understand the 'get thoughts out before they forget them' narrative - however, he has email on his phone, just like text. Why do these sorts of things need to be a text? Just as easy to send an email as a text these days.

I realize many people may not care to differentiate between the two, but text is more personal and reserved for urgent-type conversations after hours... at least that's my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom