Conference Realignment - Basketball Future | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Conference Realignment - Basketball Future

We can thank FSU, Clemson, UNC, and NC State for blocking Cal and Stanford (and SMU) to the ACC.

I’m going to laugh when FSU winds up in the Big 12. Those arrogant jerks are overplaying their hand and will learn that lesson the hard way.

We can thank FSU, Clemson, UNC, and NC State for blocking Cal and Stanford (and SMU) to the ACC.

I’m going to laugh when FSU winds up in the Big 12. Those arrogant jerks are overplaying their hand and will learn that lesson the hard way.
Agree about FSU who will be the school that most likely leaves (the squeaky wheel).

Personally, I would like to see the ACC add a school or two that syracuse already has had a decent rivalry with.

Don’t really feel that Syracuse has any rivalries with the established southern ACC teams. The closest ones we have to rivalries are BC, Louisville and Pittsburgh. All stemming from the Big East. Since we have been in the ACC, Syracuse has not developed one with Duke(perceived but not really), NC or anyone else.

Agree that FSU is run by arrogant jerks. But FSU isn’t going to give up their media rights for the next 12 years and pay massive exit fees to join the Big 12. That makes zero sense. Plus the ACC payouts will be higher once Texas and Oklahoma leave the Big 12 next season. I don’t know what their play is with all the saber rattling but they’re not doing this to go to the Big 12.

Agree about FSU who will be the school that most likely leaves (the squeaky wheel).

Personally, I would like to see the ACC add a school or two that syracuse already has had a decent rivalry with.

Don’t really feel that Syracuse has any rivalries with the established southern ACC teams. The closest ones we have to rivalries are BC, Louisville and Pittsburgh. All stemming from the Big East. Since we have been in the ACC, Syracuse has not developed one with Duke(perceived but not really), NC or anyone else.
The biggest problem is we never played teams often enough from the Coastal Division. In nine years, Miami has yet to play at Syracuse.

We need to get back to challenging for conference titles and then rivalries will develop with the schools you mentioned plus Virginia and Miami.

The way things currently look. In 12 years when our GOR is set to expire, cable tv plans will be completely gone imo. ESPN will not go under like Bally sports. They will evolve.

ESPN will create a stand alone product. Conference networks will not be able to make money based on location and in network plans. It will all be based on subscriptions similar to the MLS package and what the PAC was going to do. Unless they are on broadcast television, everything will be on a standalone product. Most Sports fans will buy the product, but no longer will you get money just by being in a certain state and collect from the non sports fan. The people that don’t watch sports will no longer pay towards ESPN and the conference networks. This will make every conference pivot and adjust.

This leads to conferences having to expand based on fan bases and prestige, not immediate location population due to carriage fees. Basketball will be just as important as football because you will need to buy this package for the entire year. Unless they do different pricing plans. But this would be beneficial to Syracuse who has a very popular lacrosse program and basketball program. Even with football struggling we still do a decent job with viewership in that sport. I think syracuse would be in good position

Agree that FSU is run by arrogant jerks. But FSU isn’t going to give up their media rights for the next 12 years and pay massive exit fees to join the Big 12. That makes zero sense. Plus the ACC payouts will be higher once Texas and Oklahoma leave the Big 12 next season. I don’t know what their play is with all the saber rattling but they’re not doing this to go to the Big 12.
Right, I’m not saying they’ll leave now. When they do leave, closer to 2036, they’re going to be in for a surprise when the SEC passes and the Big 10 takes Miami.

And there is no way Florida is letting another Florida school in the SEC.
The same with South Carolina, and Clemson.

And there is no way Florida is letting another Florida school in the SEC.
The same with South Carolina, and Clemson.
South Carolina doesn’t have the leverage Florida does. I think Clemson goes to the SEC.

LT, I think Clemson and FSU to the SEC and UNC and UVa to the Big 10.

The battle for schools will be between the Big 12 and ACC. I would think WVU, Cincy, and UCF would want to join the ACC and then add UConn as 4.

The ACC becomes:

BC
Syracuse
UConn
Pitt
WVU
Louisville
Cincinnati
VT
Duke
Wake Forest
NC State
Georgia Tech
UCF
Miami

Notre Dame reamins as an Indy in football.

That's a very good basketball conference and a decent football conference. Travel is not too bad.

LT, I think Clemson and FSU to the SEC and UNC and UVa to the Big 10.

The battle for schools will be between the Big 12 and ACC. I would think WVU, Cincy, and UCF would want to join the ACC and then add UConn as 4.

The ACC becomes:

BC
Syracuse
UConn
Pitt
WVU
Louisville
Cincinnati
VT
Duke
Wake Forest
NC State
Georgia Tech
UCF
Miami

Notre Dame reamins as an Indy in football.

That's a very good basketball conference and a decent football conference. Travel is not too bad.

As long as you don't have expectations of consistently strong representation in the playoff sure. Cincy won't rack up gaudy records anymore and Miami is still a has been. Have to start wondering if the power struggle continues with conferences battling against allowing 6 conferences a spot vs just ranking...

Yeah, it’s more the latter. Dasher blocked me, so I wasn’t going to respond to him. The ACC has been reactive at best and complacent at worst since the GoR went into effect. That is not forward thinking.

The conversations about adding Cal, Stanford, and SMU have already hit a snag. The ACC is on borrowed time.

If anything, SU leadership needs to be forward thinking. 22 schools will join the Big 10, SEC, or Big 12 by 2036. We need to be one of them.
I say SEC. Gets them into amtrak corridor, adds value to hoops, and not a threat in football.

Right, I’m not saying they’ll leave now. When they do leave, closer to 2036, they’re going to be in for a surprise when the SEC passes and the Big 10 takes Miami.
There is a view going around that FSU may retain an investment bank to arrange or fund their buyout in exchange for a piece of FSU's future revenue and more.
Should that happen...college ball will become all the more a version of pro sports.

There is a view going around that FSU may retain an investment bank to arrange or fund their buyout in exchange for a piece of FSU's future revenue and more.
Should that happen...college ball will become all the more a version of pro sports.
It should backfire, at least. Spending that much money only to wind up in the Big 12 would be hilarious. Maybe they get an offer from the Big 10 since Miami won’t be available. Maybe. I don’t see the SEC taking them, though. It’s one thing for the league to piss off A&M or South Carolina. Pissing off Florida would not go over well.

The Big Xll notched a bigger media deal last fall after Texas and OU left that runs through 2031.

Why do the ACC payouts change when Texas and Oklahama jump?
The Big 12 payouts will be lower with no Texas and Oklahoma, per that conference’s new TV contract. The ACC payouts increase over the length of the contract and as more subscribers sign on to the ACC Network.

Cal, Stanford, and SMU, "increasingly likely" coming to ACC.

1693176542727.png

View attachment 230589
He was the one guy saying initially they might only play football and basketball.

I think if this happens, it will be for all sports. At least all sports that Stanford and Cal played in the PAC 12. They play a lot of sports the PAC 12 does not have.

View attachment 230589
There have been a bunch of Tweets posted in the football realignment thread that say that the talk of 4 Pac teams to the Big XII was all hogwash. No negotiations have been initiated by either side and someone connected to the Big XII said they have no interest in bringing in those teams.

So now that this is all set. I have to figure ND, Louisville and new addition SMU would be playing the Cal teams on a home/home basis more frequently than others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom