Cooney and transition = smh | Syracusefan.com

Cooney and transition = smh

PhatOrange

Living Legend
trying to keep it clean but my lord is he bad in transition. just awful.

He doesn't have vision and he's a pretty bad finisher at the rim. It's funny, he looks so unatheltic when he's on the fastbreak.

I never know what to expect when we are on the break. Every pass ahead to Roberson is an adventure and Cooney is a train wreck waiting to happen. Gone are the days when we put total fear in teams on the break. Watching some of the dunk videos this past week, we were amazing in transition and we had several high flying dunkers. We don't have any now.

He never seems to have his feet under him or something. Always seems like he's stumbling and getting like 2 inches off the ground as he spazzes toward the hoop.

And he NEVER sees anybody, and never recognizes an opportunity to set up a pass for an easy dunk.

Cooney gets over 2 steals a game and I wish there was a set play for when this happens (maybe there is).

Because Cooney's best choice on the break is giving the ball up immediately and sprinting to his spot on the wing. It spaces the break and if they don't get in his grill, it's a high percentage shot for him if he gets the ball back.

With that said, outside of G, I don't have a lot of confidence in our ball handlers on the break.

TC definitely has issues here, but we aren't a great fast break team, overall.

His handle limits his speed with the ball. It looks like he's in the clear but then defenders quickly make up ground, and he's not athletic enough to finish in traffic.

The surprising thing to me is his decision-making in transition. In the past 4-5 games he's had opportunities to make passes to open (and more capable) teammates on the break, and he's chosen not to do so. Very strange for a typically heady player.

I feel like Trevor is just hoping to get fouled most of the time.

Trevor is a mess on breakaways, but at least he gets fouled once in a while. Its better than watching Buss shoot a 3 ball though:

giphy.gif

I love Cooney a lot. but he is poor in transition.

Like another poster said, he doesnt have any vision.

And for the love of Christ, for a white kid with a 41 inch vert, the guy gets about 12 inches off the ground when going up for layups.

And does he have short arms or something? It just doesnt make sense how he cant adjust at all.

That being said, he clearly got fouled on 1 and I believe 2 fast breaks. But I had been overserved, so it may be 1.

And for the love of Christ, for a white kid with a 41 inch vert, the guy gets about 12 inches off the ground when going up for layups.

And does he have short arms or something? It just doesnt make sense how he cant adjust at all.

That being said, he clearly got fouled on 1 and I believe 2 fast breaks. But I had been overserved, so it may be 1.

I think a photoshop of TC with little arms would be funny.

[QUOTE=" Every pass ahead to Roberson is an adventure and Cooney is a train wreck waiting to happen. Gone are the days when we put total fear in teams on the break. .[/QUOTE]

I kept trying to figure out how Roberson was so open on the fast breaks. Then I realized he wasnt getting back on D. That's tough, when the guy is your best rebounder.

His vision is terrible. I think that's a big issue, but that's readily conceded by everyone.

I think he's so caught up with shielding the ball, and having his shoulder turned, and then initiating the contact by leaping into the defender with that shoulder (and drawing the foul) that he essentially screws himself. He gets ZERO lift because he's jumping more laterally, and throws up some weird side-arm crap.

I would imagine he thinks it looks like he's exaggerating the contact and thus more likely to get a foul call (and maybe finish with an and-1), but he probably just looks more out of control and decreases his chances of getting a call overall. Who knows.

It must work out in practice though fantastically or he wouldn't do it. That's what I'm told at least!! :)

I don't know. Seems like a mental thing. Once he gets past it and goes up strong he'll be better off.

I kept trying to figure out how Roberson was so open on the fast breaks. Then I realized he wasnt getting back on D. That's tough, when the guy is your best rebounder.

This was true a couple times, but honestly, Roberson has been the fastest guy down the court for 2 years now. He sprints his butt off on the break.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom