Cooney | Syracusefan.com

Cooney

Rocco

Watching you.
Good lord I am excited to see this kid play this year. He is an incredible talent and should provide a great spark off the bench.

Can shoot the 3, play great D and dunk.

<----- Ecstatic regardless that he hasn't officially played in a game yet

We're all excited but should temper things a bit as he's only a frosh. Word from workouts is that he is a lights out shooter in drills and shooting practice, but struggles some in a game/scrimmage format. Let him grow into his role.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

We're all excited but should temper things a bit as he's only a frosh. Word from workouts is that he is a lights out shooter in drills and shooting practice, but struggles some in a game/scrimmage format. Let him grow into his role.

No question, but I am more excited than anything.

Sounds a bit like Andy, no?

Cooney is more explosive and further ahead of where Andy was at the same time. But Andy is a good comparison.

Sounds like he may have that type of potential but, and I may be in the minority here, but I'd say he's got a looooooong way to go to be Andy. Maybe he is that type, but you're talking about a really unselfish, creative player who was a difference maker in the zone and had deep range and a quick release. I'm guessing he won't have a career in the NBA, but he got drafted which, in and of itself, is a testament to how good a player Rautins was. If Cooney even approaches that, it would be excellent.

That said, I don't think Triche is more than a nice complementary piece. I don't mean that as an insult -- we can be a very good team with him playing 30+ mpg, but I do think Cooney has an opportunity to steal some of those minutes. Will be interesting to see.

How about on defense and with the ball in his hands? Is he a guy who can be a good minutes as a backup type and grow into being a consistant shooter ? I remember Andy struggled with the non-shooting aspects and that hurt his playing time early.

Sounds like he may have that type of potential but, and I may be in the minority here, but I'd say he's got a looooooong way to go to be Andy. Maybe he is that type, but you're talking about a really unselfish, creative player who was a difference maker in the zone and had deep range and a quick release. I'm guessing he won't have a career in the NBA, but he got drafted which, in and of itself, is a testament to how good a player Rautins was. If Cooney even approaches that, it would be excellent.

That said, I don't think Triche is more than a nice complementary piece. I don't mean that as an insult -- we can be a very good team with him playing 30+ mpg, but I do think Cooney has an opportunity to steal some of those minutes. Will be interesting to see.

Triche will be north of 30mpg. Probably well north in the BE games.

Bees I heard Cooney shot well off the dribble in scrimmages, any truth to this???

If hes ahead of Andy thats a good thing.
Andy averaged 7.2 ppg as a sophmore and looked ready to average more if they wanted him to in BE play. And he couldn't shoot off the dribble, or drive well, but he was good at getting open.
I remember him as a very sound sophmore who had some injury problems that year.

On the other hand Gerry had 13.3 ppg as a fresh. I wonder if Cooney could hit 10ppg.

Are you thinking for necessity reasons or because he will just be that good now that its his team?

Are you thinking for necessity reasons or because he will just be that good now that its his team?
I think he was inferring the latter. At least, that's how I feel.

As I wrote in other posts it would be good for us to consider Triche with a role like CJ last year with a few more minutes and shots.
This team is good enough to go 8-9 deep without a 8th or 9th man as a filler only getting 8 mpg. I could see Keita getting between 10-15 mpg, and or Grant grabbing a few.

We still will have the offense at 4 positions. Thets bring the defensive hell and hustle. Heck throw Southerland up top for a few mpg. This team has so much scroing that there is no need to have someone out there conserving energy.

Not saying its whats best, but saying we don't need.
We don't need to run Triche out there like Flynn and Greene or Flynn and Devendorf for 35 mpg because of lack of depth or scoring.

We don't need Triche and Fair to be out there like Wes and Andy. They might prove to be as good of a scoring duo as Wes and Andy(I doubt it), but MCW, Fair, Southerland, Dajuan, Cooney, Rak, Keita and Grant > 09-10 AO, Scoop, Joseph, Jackson, Triche on offense.

We don't need CJ or Triche to get 36 mpg conserving their energy on the defensive end or pushing isolation when they move so well without the ball. Triche is awesome when hes scrappy, sometimes thats better then the myth you need to play 32 plus minutes to be a leader.
Reguardless JB is going to put whats best before whats ordinary.

to me, from tape only, he is a better athlete than Andy at the same stage.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

That would be my guess too. My point was more that if Cooney is the real deal and truly ready to contribute meaningfully, I don't think Triche's minutes are set in stone (unlike MCW and CJ). Perhaps we disagree there, but if Cooney's truly a lights out shooter in game action (obviously remains to be seen), I think he could eat into triche's minutes. I don't think it's a lock, but it is a possibility.

to me, from tape only, he is a better athlete than Andy at the same stage.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

That could very well be the case and I wouldn't be shocked. I just think Andy was a really good all-around player even early in his career, which many don't seem to agree with.

Alot depends on how ready Dajuan, Cooney and Grant are.
Getting back to my minutes scenerio. Consider this minutes scenerio.

Triche 31 mpg
MCW 31 mpg
Fair 31 mpg
Southerland 27 mpg.
That would be 120 minutes right there.
Your team only gets 200. That leaves 80 minutes.
Rak 25
Dajaun 20
Keita 15
Cooney 20

Grant can maybe take 4-12 minutes of those away if he shows some offense, defense, and rebounding to help balence. And I could see any of those second 4 maybe deserving more to help balence as well.

I think he was inferring the latter. At least, that's how I feel.
Orange79, I like your avatar! I was at the Dome last night. Enjoyed the Lama, but did not enjoy those hard benches. Good god, that's agony. I pay to have the SU stadium seats and they are worth every penny.

Both, plus he is a senior. Jb defers to seniors. He'll be the last starter removed in blowouts even. It's JB's way. Was with KJo, was with Ricky, etc.

Just for debate Ricky we needed to play him for depth purposes and rebounding. KJO he wasn't giving up much in defense pressure or rebounding. Made sense for him to go longer periods for offense.

Triche, CJ, and MCW are more scrappy or defensively built.

As I wrote in other posts it would be good for us to consider Triche with a role like CJ last year with a few more minutes and shots.

What is a role like Fair? Triche will lead the team in mpg and ppg.

Just for debate Ricky we needed to play him for depth purposes and rebounding. KJO he wasn't giving up much in defense pressure or rebounding. Made sense for him to go longer periods for offense.

Triche, CJ, and MCW are more scrappy or defensively built.

I don't know what your point is there with Ricky and KJo. Maybe you weren't replying to my post about them.

Big difference from 26-30 minutes and 33-36 energy and defensive intensity wise, all leadership aside.

Yup my point was Ricky we needed him out there big minutes. We needed his rebounding, and we needed his offense. Joseph was offensive minded. Offensive minded guys can play 40 minutes. Intense defenders and guys who are all over the court 28-32 might be a better number.

Same broken record.
Just saying this team is Way Way more built to not need its two best players to play 35 minutes.
And CJ, Triche and MCW are proabbly all deserving of 34 but it might not be best for the team.

And considering CJ and Triche may be those guys and are scrappy defenders and hustle for loose balls rebounds and love to create offense away from the ball it could be good to conserve their energy so they can do that instead of resting in game. I expect the same from MCW hes a aggressive on the ball defender even if he gets beat here and there.

But I agree Triche is going to be good!!! He might not look like it but hes going to be our first offensive weapon.

Big difference from 26-30 minutes and 33-36 energy and defensive intensity wise, all leadership aside.

Yup my point was Ricky we needed him out there big minutes. We needed his rebounding, and we needed his offense. Joseph was offensive minded. Offensive minded guys can play 40 minutes. Intense defenders and guys who are all over the court 28-32 might be a better number.

Same broken record.
Just saying this team is Way Way more built to not need its two best players to play 35 minutes.
And CJ, Triche and MCW are proabbly all deserving of 34 but it might not be best for the team.

And considering CJ and Triche may be those guys and are scrappy defenders and hustle for loose balls rebounds and love to create offense away from the ball it could be good to conserve their energy so they can do that instead of resting in game. I expect the same from MCW hes a aggressive on the ball defender even if he gets beat here and there.

But I agree Triche is going to be good!!! He might not look like it but hes going to be our first offensive weapon.

Mu point in Ricky and KJo and others in the past is JB plays his seniors an extra couple minutes in blowouts ny taking them out last. I wasn't talking about their need.

good point. I read it wrong.
Do you think Cooney will be able to hit the three off the dribble this year?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom