Cooney | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Cooney

To who? You? People were screaming at him leaving the court the other night like he was the reason we lost. That was embarrassing more than anything. People got in fights in the stands over this. That's embarrassing.

I'm going to continue to beat the dead horse and be a Cooney "defender" as long as people continuously blame him for all our problems, when he's far from it this year.

I expect our best player (Gbinije) to produce more.

And frankly I expect better by members of the media.

I didn't blame Cooney one iota for the loss but its definitely embarrassing that on a look like that from a 5th year Sr. Guard the ball barely grazed the side rim. Look its admirable you want to defend Cooney but there is no way on earth you can defend that shot. Even the two guys announcing the game were flabbergasted how bad it was.

This thread paints Trevor as our number one issue and I completely disagree with that. He is what he's always been and I think he does a pretty good job. There are plenty of posts that show that he adds value to the team. I wish we had a third and fourth guard to spell him from time to time.

Agreed. I think what will (until he graduates) make him a lightning rod for me is just that he represents where I diverge from the coaches about player development over the past few seasons.

He does do a good job, he's a good player. Always happy to have a TC on the team. Still, don't ever see a solid rationale that explains the minutes JB has thrown on him (which is more a JB issue, than a TC issue for me) - other than maybe he's a god in practice.

I don't think he's ever been the #1 issue, but some issues you can't really address with the roster. Like a lack of size, etc...which are different issues than what gets argued, but people like to throw it in as if it's the same thing.

I'm going to continue to beat the dead horse and be a Cooney "defender" as long as people continuously blame him for all our problems, when he's far from it this year.

I expect our best player (Gbinije) to produce more.

And frankly I expect better by members of the media.

Me too!

I didn't blame Cooney one iota for the loss but its definitely embarrassing that on a look like that from a 5th year Sr. Guard the ball barely grazed the side rim. Look its admirable you want to defend Cooney but there is no way on earth you can defend that shot. Even the two guys announcing the game were flabbergasted how bad it was.

I just think it's absolutely insane this fan base continues to hammer Cooney when are so called best player has been completely missing from action in ACC play, and really hasn't played that well since St. Johns. I don't care if he is the PG, he was expected to be our best player.

BTW we wouldn't of even had the chance to win if Cooney didn't hit the shot to put us down 2 with 20 seconds to go and then steal the ball. There is no player on this team whos negative plays, like you just mentioned are analyzed by the fans more than Cooney.

And for the record, I've never expected him to be the second coming of JJ Redick. We need him to hit shots at a 35-40 percent clip, which for this year he mostly has. He has been solid in ACC play, and that was the point I was trying to make in this thread that turned into 10 pages.

I do think theres a lot of intelligent people that have a lot of anger toward Cooney, and some of that I think still comes from his and the teams overall meltdown 2 years ago. We have people bringing up historical numbers from other years now that have nothing to do with this year.

I know people love Gmac and he was clutch a lot of the time, but people act like he made every shot down the stretch of every game. I remember being in Worcester 10 years ago watching us play at the time a lot of people thought we were a final four team, and the guy went like 3-18.

I just think it's absolutely insane this fan base continues to hammer Cooney when are so called best player has been completely missing from action in ACC play, and really hasn't played that well since St. Johns. I don't care if he is the PG, he was expected to be our best player.

BTW we wouldn't of even had the chance to win if Cooney didn't hit the shot to put us down 2 with 20 seconds to go and then steal the ball. There is no player on this team whos negative plays, like you just mentioned are analyzed by the fans more than Cooney.

And for the record, I've never expected him to be the second coming of JJ Redick. We need him to hit shots at a 35-40 percent clip, which for this year he mostly has. He has been solid in ACC play, and that was the point I was trying to make in this thread that turned into 10 pages.

I do think theres a lot of intelligent people that have a lot of anger toward Cooney, and some of that I think still comes from his and the teams overall meltdown 2 years ago. We have people bringing up historical numbers from other years now that have nothing to do with this year.

I know people love Gmac and he was clutch a lot of the time, but people act like he made every shot down the stretch of every game. I remember being in Worcester 10 years ago watching us play at the time a lot of people thought we were a final four team, and the guy went like 3-18.

It's interesting how much you are defending the JB recruit while being all over the Duke castaway that we picked up. The small forward that's been asked to convert to a PG, probably one of the hardest transitions there is in all of sports if you ask me.

Cooney didn't live up to expectations. I'd argue that G has far exceeded the expectations we had of him when JB agreed to the transfer. He's off this last few weeks, but he's done a pretty remarkable job.

It's interesting how much you are defending the JB recruit while being all over the Duke castaway that we picked up. The small forward that's been asked to convert to a PG, probably one of the hardest transitions there is in all of sports if you ask me.

Cooney didn't live up to expectations. I'd argue that G has far exceeded the expectations we had of him when JB agreed to the transfer. He's off this last few weeks, but he's done a pretty remarkable job.

Come on. G was a top 40 recruit.

Cooney was barely top 100.

This is about being 0-3 in conference.

Your boy Triche got hammered on this board three years ago when he played as bad as Gbinije, and he wasn't playing his original position either.

Come on. G was a top 40 recruit.

Cooney was barely top 100.

This is about being 0-3 in conference.

Your boy Triche got hammered on this board three years ago when he played as bad as Gbinije, and he wasn't playing his original position either.

As a small forward. What part of that is difficult for you to understand? I blame the coaching staff for our current record because they are the ones who failed to obtain an actual point guard capable of running the show.

As a small forward. What part of that is difficult for you to understand? I blame the coaching staff for our current record because they are the ones who failed to obtain an actual point guard capable of running the show.

I agree we could use a point guard, and I agree that's the biggest issue, but we are getting Stevie Thompson from the line from our best player, and that's cost us the Clemson and Wisconsin game. We have our own opinions it's all good.

"Come on. G was a top 40 recruit."

by duke. not us.yes indeed our top player was a duke cast off. and welcome to the ACC.

I agree we could use a point guard, and I agree that's the biggest issue, but we are getting Stevie Thompson from the line from our best player, and that's cost us the Clemson and Wisconsin game. We have our own opinions it's all good.

His performance at the line is startling. He was terrible last year, fixed it early this year, and is now seemingly terrible again. I keep wondering if there is an underlying injury we don't know about. I have no basis for that, just a hunch.

Agreed, all good.

"Come on. G was a top 40 recruit."

by duke. not us.yes indeed our top player was a duke cast off. and welcome to the ACC.

Do you intentionally not like to use the Reply button just to confuse all of us?

His performance at the line is startling. He was terrible last year, fixed it early this year, and is now seemingly terrible again. I keep wondering if there is an underlying injury we don't know about. I have no basis for that, just a hunch.

Agreed, all good.
I think it's strictly in his head. He shoots his FT'S very quickly. As you said, he seemed to have it figured out at the end of last season and earlier this season, but now has regressed.

If I made a list of this teams top 10 problems, Cooney would be about 10th. Yet he gets his own thread.
7f628e381d213955dc02a995d175d538.jpg

Wow, when I started this thread I had no idea it would get up to 216 posts and counting.

I guess since I started the thread about Cooney saying I'm not sure if ill miss him, he goes and has his best all around performance ever while wearing an SU jersey. And yes I think it's better then his ND game where he hit 10 3's because that was all he did. That was his best shooting game, but that was easily his best all around performance.

If Cooney can continue to drive inside the arc and hit those long 2 pointers or lay-ups, instead of hucking up 3 after 3 after 3, you all will know my answer after this season is over. But, that is a big IF.

I did read an article in the PS though saying how Cooney realized after tape from the past couple games that he would always just drift towards the left side of the 3 point line unconciously. How he is going to try and stop doing that. Let's see.

Also Coleman had one of his best games while in his, albeit limited, time in an orange jersey. May not have been his statistically best game, but I think it was his best just because he was on the court for so long against some of the best Big men in the country. Brice Johnson and Kennedy Meeks are both NBA talent.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom