Cornell Gameday... | Page 28 | Syracusefan.com

Cornell Gameday...

Yikes, that is bad. Can't touch the officials. Even Tierney didn't go that far.

The article isn't really specific at all so I will withhold some judgment because the contact could have been inadvertent.

This article also says that these two teams didn't play last year? I would expect better from a publication out of Syracuse.

The article isn't really specific at all so I will withhold some judgment because the contact could have been inadvertent.

This article also says that these two teams didn't play last year? I would expect better from a publication out of Syracuse.

They didn't play last year, remember Army and Cornell were off the schedule under the ACC home and home with 2 teams.

They didn't play last year, remember Army and Cornell were off the schedule under the ACC home and home with 2 teams.
Do you know if there was like some bad blood before the game started cause it seemed chippy right off the bat

Oh yeah I was remembering that OT loss in the Dome as being last year that's on me.

I was told the ref put his hand in coaches face and he pushed it away. Unacceptable by both.

77 shouldn’t ref another game for us. Was also told he had some affiliation with Cornell.
Miller has done a ton of lacrosse games and other sports..
Donavan is high level

I was told the ref put his hand in coaches face and he pushed it away. Unacceptable by both.

77 shouldn’t ref another game for us. Was also told he had some affiliation with Cornell.
When I was running our local lax club we did have the option to ban a limited number of refs, not sure if that's a thing at the NCAA level.

It’s my fault. I had been preoccupied by my daughter’s varsity softball game here in NC, and on my way home I checked the feed on ESPN+ to find we were up 16-10. I then watched it close to 16-12 and quickly shut off the feed, which but the bad joojoo that my eyeballs added to the game was too much for the team to overcome. I really hate joining a game midway and then having everything go wrong afterwards

Last edited:

This is Gait's quote from the syracuse.com story -

“I don’t even know what the call was, to be honest,” Syracuse head coach Gary Gait said. “I think the ref put his hand in his face, something happened, I’m not exactly sure what, I was in front of him. But that’s something we’ll deal with. I’m positive it will never happen again. I know that. I’ll make sure that doesn’t happen again. It was an interesting situation. We’ll just say that.”

If you put your hand in someone's face, I'm not sure what you expect their reaction to be. Agree March should have kept his composure, but hopefully there is some discipline for the ref as well. That's completely unacceptable and speaks to someone who has an outsized view of their own authority. I'm guessing SU won't have much of a leg to stand on, but if there's a way to bring this to some sort of advisory board, they should.

That said, was it worth it to get that upset over an offsides call? I know the calls were bad all night, but up 7-2, it's just not worth getting kicked out of a game, and costing your team two goals (and the opportunity to score yourself). I believe the penalty came after SU scored as well. If you were asking what's the worst thing SU could do in that situation to get Cornell back in the game, it would be that.

Not only that, but that sort of behavior clearly impacted the rest of the team - Leo mouthing off to a Cornell player after scoring and getting flagged (Cornell scored), Spallina costing the team a man-up opportunity, Finn Thomson mouthing off to a Cornell player after a score but somehow avoiding a penalty. I know it's good for teams to play with an edge, and for a time it seemed like they were feeding off of it, but you have to back it up. And they didn't, and actions over words every time.

“FIVE GUYS IS BETTER THAN IN-AND-OUT!”
if that's how it went down, that's ridiculous.

five guys is 100x in-and-out, no idea why refs would have a problem with that.

While I am flattered and honored to receive the title of "renowned lacrosse analyst" I got nothing for this one. Worse collapse of a cuse team I have ever seen and that is saying something. Closest comparison in the Gait era is the Army game his first year, but the amount of pathetic plays from us in this one dwarf that by comparison. The amount of different nonsense from mainly us, but also the refs, is almost impossible. Really thought we had put this sort of thing behind us as a team and staff. MD Army games there were some bad moments in the clutch but overall we fought hard until the end and had it not bounce are way. This one was entirely self inflicted. If one of about 40 different bonehead plays does not happen we win. Just a complete and total improbable nightmare.

Just flush it, get some rest, and beat UNC. Maybe I overestimated this team and staff but I really could not have forseen this based on every game up to this point. I thought we were above this after how we played against Hop Duke and ND. Guys who have shown some guts this season completely wilted. A composed victory againt UNC and I'm back in. But until then this team is gonna be tough to think about. Mods, until we beat UNC you have permission to change my title to "Clinically insane retired lacrosse analyst"

Can someone tell me why March got tosses or tell me what post # it’s in. Don’t have time to weed through 28 pages

Doesn't show the physical contact, but, goes to show how awful these refs were last night.

#77 is Danny Miller, he's a Section 4 ref. Does all levels HS-D1. My boss used to ref D3 games with him. Good guy off the field but has had times where coaches got into it with him. Said jokingly that Danny isn't a fan of Cuse. As we saw...

55 Turnovers in the last 3 games...

Horrific especially when one of those games was against Hobart. Same pattern last year. Team starts out in the top end on turnovers and then can't stop turning it over the later in the season it gets. Totally out of control and with a team with zero freshmen seeing extended time beyond Riley who plays defense. Gait has to address that.

The game could have been saved at 7:35 of the 4th up 2 goals. Kelleher took that bad cross check. About 10 seconds into a 1:00 pp Hiltz tries a skip for no reason that is deflected (Stevens dove after it like a dope - cant fault the hustle though). We get the ball back and 10 seconds later Stevens throws it away. Defense was gassed and man up had a chance to put a little cushion between us. Inexcusable stuff. Was compounded later by Hiltz just straight missing a pass, Mule dropping the ball, and then English throwing a ridiculous skip to X in OT that skidded out of bounds (on top of some poor shooting).

Defense was a slide happy, not getting there, mess. (Worse I have seen since 2nd half Army/1st half JHU).

Players have to make winning plays.
I just finished watching the replay of the game as I couldn't see it last night. One thing stood out to me more than anything else: Cuse energy and urgency level dropped dramatically in the 2nd half and never came back. They actually looked tired (?) and/or overconfident - I think the sloppiness came from low energy. Passes were weak and there was no sense of purpose or conviction. No one showed leadership on offense which is very disturbing. How do you explain it?? Lack of confidence in game plan? Didn't know how to handle Cornell ride and aggressive play?

Exceptions: Mark was very strong in the 4th qtr and showed heart and hustle. Kohn stood out the entire game with his skill and hustle.

Spallina, Hiltz, Thomson etc. do not seem to have a higher gear. They aren't close to elite players in my mind because they are not game changers - just role players who can't even come close to rising to the occasion. Cornell's backup goalie played well but we didn't get high quality shots on him.

We need a leader on the offensive end of the field. I thought the offense would be our strength but clearly it isn’t. We can’t pass and catch when the game is on the line which tonight shouldn’t have even been close in my opinion.

Does anyone know how many goals we gave up on man down? That unit has done well but we need to be able to adjust when the game is truly on the line.

Our offense needs to know when to turn off the tricky and just execute. Joey not starting with the ball in OT was piss poor.

Lastly Rhoa and Leo need to be on the same line. They create matchup issues. Rhoa needs to be on man up.

Time for some adjustments.

They were 4-8 on man down, though like others pointed out, they failed to clear at least once out of a penalty kill and promptly gave up a goal. Also not sure if scoring two goals during an unrelease-able penalty is just a 1-1, but they did score twice on March penalty. So really it felt more like 6-8. For the season they are allowing goals at just 33% of the time in man-down, which is pretty good. I would like to know how many goals they surrender right after a penalty, when the full time starters are still on the sidelines. I think they should mix and match starters more often. Again, it wasn't so much that they gave up EMO goals, it was how easily they did it.

I agree about Rhoa and Leo on the same line, with English that would be a lot of dodging prowess. I think Thomson could still fit in well with Stevens and Birtwistle. Not sure it will happen but that's what I would do. Other adjustments on offense seem harder to figure out. The top six is very good, but something still seems off.

If they want to bench Mule, I'm not sure Deere is going to do much better, as he's more of a classic finisher. It made sense to sub him for Hiltz, but not sure I see the benefit if you are trying to take advantage of a short stick. Birtwistle hasn't exactly been dominating matchups this year, I have a hard time believing he would fare much better than Mule on short sticks (he gets them now, and isn't really taking advantage).

Last night was just very, very bizarre. I'm not sure how in the world you go from scoring 14 goals in a half, to only three the rest of the way (the last one was off a face-off and kind of a fluke anyway). So really 2 goals for 29:50. The disappointing part is so many of the issues seemed to step from the upper classmen, Hiltz, Mule, English all just very careless with the ball. I can forgive Rhoa, he's scored lots of goals that way, but, it just felt like when things got a bit tight, the players we should be relying on the most, let the moment get to them. I can't quite remember an SU team that was this "Boom" or "Bust".

While I am flattered and honored to receive the title of "renowned lacrosse analyst" I got nothing for this one. Worse collapse of a cuse team I have ever seen and that is saying something. Closest comparison in the Gait era is the Army game his first year, but the amount of pathetic plays from us in this one dwarf that by comparison. The amount of different nonsense from mainly us, but also the refs, is almost impossible. Really thought we had put this sort of thing behind us as a team and staff. MD Army games there were some bad moments in the clutch but overall we fought hard until the end and had it not bounce are way. This one was entirely self inflicted. If one of about 40 different bonehead plays does not happen we win. Just a complete and total improbable nightmare.

Just flush it, get some rest, and beat UNC. Maybe I overestimated this team and staff but I really could not have forseen this based on every game up to this point. I thought we were above this after how we played against Hop Duke and ND. Guys who have shown some guts this season completely wilted. A composed victory againt UNC and I'm back in. But until then this team is gonna be tough to think about. Mods, until we beat UNC you have permission to change my title to "Clinically insane retired lacrosse analyst"
I don’t think you overestimated the team. The team hasn’t learned what it takes to win tough games.

Is it more or do we seem to also not be attacking from behind cage as much? Seem much more wing n up to dodges? I feel most of teams weakness will show when attack from behind cage or invert guys. We seem to do it n it works but then some odd reason go away from it and struggle to score.

IF SU doesn't make the tourney this year his seat will be red hot. Fair or not three straight years of missing the tourney isn't gonna fly here. If SU lost out I wouldn't be shocked if there was a major shake up.
They are so, so, close to being one of the top programs.

One thing that needs to be addressed is scheduling.
That can't just be a Gary thing.

It's understandable why they play more games earlier than most others, thanks to the Dome. But that may need to lighten a bit going forward.

Booking ND & Cornell so close together was a huge mistake.

Move this game, or the ND game to next weekend and win one of the Maryland/Army games and it there would be a totally different feeling around the program.

They've shown that they've got the pieces. They'll be put together for a great season next year. Book it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom