Could the 1 and done be over? (Thon Maker loophole) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Could the 1 and done be over? (Thon Maker loophole)

Look at soccer. In Europe its all developmental academies, no college sports. Man City just signed a 15 YO from Argentina. That's the model we should use, IMO.

Except instead of it being bannered by city like in Europe have it bannered by colleges. It's and interesting idea getting rid of the academic component and having player's concentrate on athletics only. Hopefully they will make enough money so if their career doesn't work out they will still have enough to attend college if they feel that is the best return on their investment of money.

I don't have a problem with this. All I want is to have a more consistent roster in CBB.

Players make more money under the table in college than over the table in the D League.

How do you know that is true? Extraterrestrials exist along with Sasquatch and the Lock Ness monster. My son had an awesome theory about Sasquatch. The reason no one has ever found a Sasquatch body is because they ARE extraterrestrials.

Except instead of it being bannered by city like in Europe have it bannered by colleges. It's and interesting idea getting rid of the academic component and having player's concentrate on athletics only. Hopefully they will make enough money so if their career doesn't work out they will still have enough to attend college if they feel that is the best return on their investment of money.

I don't have a problem with this. All I want is to have a more consistent roster in CBB.
But what you'd have then wouldn't really be college basketball.

But what you'd have then wouldn't really be college basketball.

The "student athlete" concept really bothers me. I would like to see players get paid minimum wage at least for all the time they are required to practice in preparation for game time. It just doesn't make sense to me that someone can get paid doing computer programming while majoring in computer science and that's okay. It just seems the idea of "student athlete" is somehow inherently exploitative by its construction.

But I agree, CBB would probably lose its zeitgeist if it were purely professional ball.

The "student athlete" concept really bothers me. I would like to see players get paid minimum wage at least for all the time they are required to practice in preparation for game time. It just doesn't make sense to me that someone can get paid doing computer programming while majoring in computer science and that's okay. It just seems the idea of "student athlete" is somehow inherently exploitative by its construction.

But I agree, CBB would probably lose its zeitgeist if it were purely professional ball.
I think what you're looking for is only found in the lower divisions of college basketball these days. It's not a bad way to go, either. The cost of attending games is a lot lower and there are usually plenty of good seats available. The message boards are also saner, but far less interesting.

I think what you're looking for is only found in the lower divisions of college basketball these days. It's not a bad way to go, either. The cost of attending games is a lot lower and there are usually plenty of good seats available. The message boards are also saner, but far less interesting.

What I am looking for is the way CBB used to be when players stayed all 4 year.

What I am looking for is the way CBB used to be when players stayed all 4 year.
I was actally being serious. That's where you can still find what you're looking for. Sure, the level of play is lower, but when you're watching Division 1 games now, you're watching something that is far below the level of play in the NBA.

The D league coaches might be better at teaching players how to run an NBA system.

Actually, we KNOW Rick Pitino can't do this.
How much do the D-League coaches are making compared to college coaches?

The NBA could afford to pay these players more if they really cared about them. How much does the support staff earn at the Arenas where the NBA teams play at?

What about the girls on SU field hockey teams get,or does SU get a lawsuit over this?

What about the girls on SU field hockey teams get,or does SU get a lawsuit over this?

Pay them too. It's like work study. Stop being a miser. It's all good for the Syracuse economy.

I was actally being serious. That's where you can still find what you're looking for. Sure, the level of play is lower, but when you're watching Division 1 games now, you're watching something that is far below the level of play in the NBA.

I don't like watching the NBA. I don't like the rules. The refs have too much control over the outcome of the game. It's like watching Championship Wrestling to me. It's a show not a game.

Pay them too. It's like work study. Stop being a miser. It's all good for the Syracuse economy.
I would think you would have to pay them legally if you pay any at all.Not being a miser here,just looking at the labor law implications.

I was actually being serious. That's where you can still find what you're looking for. Sure, the level of play is lower, but when you're watching Division 1 games now, you're watching something that is far below the level of play in the NBA.

That's one reason I like that I went to a school like Mercer. Syracuse is still and will always be my #1 rooting priority but I like that I can also follow a program where the guys stay 4 years and it's like it used to be. Of course, the 5th year transfer rule might start screwing Mercer like it did last year when we lost our leading scorer to UNLV but hopefully that's not a regular occurrence.

That's one reason I like that I went to a school like Mercer. Syracuse is still and will always be my #1 rooting priority but I like that I can also follow a program where the guys stay 4 years and it's like it used to be. Of course, the 5th year transfer rule might start screwing Mercer like it did last year when we lost our leading scorer to UNLV but hopefully that's not a regular occurrence.

This is like asking someone who is a born-again Christian to become Jewish. My religion is Orange.

If you bothered to read your own link you'd know it's a pretty accomplished and capable group.

Accomplished at what? The whole argument was them vs hof college coaches.

What Pro coach is as good as Pops or Steve Kerr?

There are exceptional outliers at all levels.

That said - it's entirely possible the average D-league coach is just as good as the average D1 coach.

More importantly - they have zero limitations on practice time in the D-league, and no schoolwork to deal with.
So my question stands. Why don't guys go there for their one year out of high school?

What Pro coach is as good as Pops or Steve Kerr?

There are exceptional outliers at all levels.

That said - it's entirely possible the average D-league coach is just as good as the average D1 coach.

More importantly - they have zero limitations on practice time in the D-league, and no schoolwork to deal with.

We aren't talking about the average d1 coach. We are talking about players who are good enough to play for Coach K, Izzo, or Boeheim.

But how do you sell this to a kid? Hey do you want to go play for the Idaho Stampede in front of 10 people a night, or go play at the Carrier dome for a hof coach in front of 30,000.
I suppose you sell them with a paycheck, the same reason anyone seeks a job. It's where a number of early entrants that went late or undrafted will spend a significant amount of time now anyway.

We aren't talking about the average d1 coach. We are talking about players who are good enough to play for Coach K, Izzo, or Boeheim.

You do know that coach Hop is scheduled to take over the 2017-18 season. We are about to lose our HOF coach selling point. It will be really interesting to see what the recruiting class for 2017-18 will be like. We could be in for a rough 10 year period in Orange BB. My hope is our program's momentum carries through until coach Hop establishes himself. But it will be a tricky few years coming up.

You do know that coach Hop is scheduled to take over the 2017-18 season. We are about to lose our HOF coach selling point. It will be really interesting to see what the recruiting class for 2017-18 will be like. We could be in for a rough 10 year period in Orange BB. My hope is our program's momentum carries through until coach Hop establishes himself. But it will be a tricky few years coming up.
JB is scheduled to retire after the 2017-18 season, so he will coach for two more years, unless he chooses to walk away sooner.

Accomplished at what? The whole argument was them vs hof college coaches.

Yes. Hall of fame COLLEGE coaches. But we've seen countless times how "well" that translates at the pro level.

I think the real discussion should be:

Have young Europeans caught up with young Americans from a basketball skill level?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom