Could the 1 and done be over? (Thon Maker loophole) | Syracusefan.com

Could the 1 and done be over? (Thon Maker loophole)

I think this works in small doses, when one or two guys do it. If everyone does it, the advantage would be cancelled out and you would just as likely be hurt by it as helped by it. Maker is sort of a mystery dude so he's not risking as much as someone who is a bonafide lottery pick level talent.

I don't buy this :

"The problem here is there could be a massive talent drain from college basketball if top players decide to copy Maker’s path to the pros. We loved watching guys like Anthony Davis, Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and Karl-Anthony Towns dominate the collegiate games. It would have been awful if they skipped that step."

Someone else would step in, so what if they aren't quite as good. College should be for students athletes not 1 and dones.

I don't buy this :

"The problem here is there could be a massive talent drain from college basketball if top players decide to copy Maker’s path to the pros. We loved watching guys like Anthony Davis, Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and Karl-Anthony Towns dominate the collegiate games. It would have been awful if they skipped that step."

Someone else would step in, so what if they aren't quite as good. College should be for students athletes not 1 and dones.

College by and large is about the name on front of the jersey. I don't think it means much if the top five percent of incoming talent just skips college.

Maybe the game could generate stars that stuck around for more than a year.

Interesting article.

Thon Maker Saga Could Be Horrible For College Basketball

Didn't hurt Thon's draft status a damn bit.

Let them exploit the loophole. I think it would be great to get rid of 1-and-done. CBB had a terrific 2015-16 season and nobody was missing Thon Maker's contribution. As a fan of CBB, I just liked it better when kids stayed all four years. If someone want's to skip CBB and go into the NBA who cares? Let them. I just want CBB to have a little more consistency with the rosters.

Last edited:
I know this isn't the main topic of the thread, but this caught my eye," The intention of the NBA’s rule was to ensure players either go to college, play internationally or play in the D-League for a season before turning professional." If this an option why don't more guys go straight to the d-league out of highschool. From what I've read on here, d-league coaches are as good as college coaches and players would be able to focus entirely on basketball without school getting in the way. And they could do it while earning a paycheck prior to their big payday.

I know this isn't the main topic of the thread, but this caught my eye," The intention of the NBA’s rule was to ensure players either go to college, play internationally or play in the D-League for a season before turning professional." If this an option why don't more guys go straight to the d-league out of highschool. From what I've read on here, d-league coaches are as good as college coaches and players would be able to focus entirely on basketball without school getting in the way. And they could do it while earning a paycheck prior to their big payday.

What d league coach is as good of a coach as k, Izzo, Pitino, Boeheim?

Good question. I didn't I agreed with it, I only stated that people on here stated that guys could develop every bit as much in the d-league as they could in college for the reasons mentioned.

Good question. I didn't I agreed with it, I only stated that people on here stated that guys could develop every bit as much in the d-league as they could in college for the reasons mentioned.

What Pro coach is as good as Pops or Steve Kerr?

There are exceptional outliers at all levels.

That said - it's entirely possible the average D-league coach is just as good as the average D1 coach.

More importantly - they have zero limitations on practice time in the D-league, and no schoolwork to deal with.

I don't buy this :

Someone else would step in, so what if they aren't quite as good. College should be for students, not athletes.
Fixed.

Look at soccer. In Europe its all developmental academies, no college sports. Man City just signed a 15 YO from Argentina. That's the model we should use, IMO.

lol what's the upside of doing what he did? First and second semester college courses are/can be an absolute cakewalk, even for poor students, so there's no benefit there. I doubt any players who are OAD caliber are concerned about playing college competition, so no benefit here either. And if a player is a fringe OAD type, the best option to improve draft stock is to play college ball.

This isn't going to develop into a trend. We'll only see it happen with players who can't get NCAA eligible. Playing international or D-league ball at least gets kids paid in the meantime, so the prep school option again loses.

Look at soccer. In Europe its all developmental academies, no college sports. Man City just signed a 15 YO from Argentina. That's the model we should use, IMO.

sarcasm?

Briancuse said:

Some of them are very very good. Not as good as those HoF guys - but might prepare you better for the NBA game.

lol what's the upside of doing what he did? First and second semester college courses are/can be an absolute cakewalk, even for poor students, so there's no benefit there. I doubt any players who are OAD caliber are concerned about playing college competition, so no benefit here either. And if a player is a fringe OAD type, the best option to improve draft stock is to play college ball.

This isn't going to develop into a trend. We'll only see it happen with players who can't get NCAA eligible. Playing international or D-league ball at least gets kids paid in the meantime, so the prep school option again loses.
Ask Skal L. If he did that, he would have been a lottery pick. Instead, he was exposed and fell to the 2nd round.

sarcasm?
I don't konw. Heck sigining a kid so early to be a pro football player really takes away from the WEA (western europe assoication), AEC (All England Conference) or the BE (Big Europe conference. Man the alumni of the schools must really be up in arms!

Going from HS to the D-League makes no economic sense. If the D League paid six figures then it might be worth it for these top HS kids instead of college.

However, with the low salaries in the D League go to college and get the exposure of ESPN and play in the NCAAT. That is better than playing in the D League on ESPNU and getting no exposure playing against players just like you trying to get into the NBA.

Pro coaching though is better than college coaching. College coaches have more power to make you play their system rather than get you pro ready.

Players make more money under the table in college than over the table in the D League.

If they let kids get endorsements in college this wouldn't even be a question. Said player at Syracuse would earn more money than said player in D league.

The D league coaches might be better at teaching players how to run an NBA system.

Actually, we KNOW Rick Pitino can't do this.

The D league coaches might be better at teaching players how to run an NBA system.

Actually, we KNOW Rick Pitino can't do this.

But how do you sell this to a kid? Hey do you want to go play for the Idaho Stampede in front of 10 people a night, or go play at the Carrier dome for a hof coach in front of 30,000.

But how do you sell this to a kid? Hey do you want to go play for the Idaho Stampede in front of 10 people a night, or go play at the Carrier dome for a hof coach in front of 30,000.

I don't know. I was just talking college vs D league coaches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom