Could the 1 and done be over? (Thon Maker loophole) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Could the 1 and done be over? (Thon Maker loophole)

You're right, but the NBA and NHL playoffs are over, the Olympics are six weeks away, and baseball sucks. I want to watch the world burn.
I have some matches.

I don't buy this :

"The problem here is there could be a massive talent drain from college basketball if top players decide to copy Maker’s path to the pros. We loved watching guys like Anthony Davis, Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and Karl-Anthony Towns dominate the collegiate games. It would have been awful if they skipped that step."

Someone else would step in, so what if they aren't quite as good. College should be for students athletes not 1 and dones.

Good call.

It's news to me that Ben Simmons and Brandon Ingram dominated college basketball this season. I don't think Ingram was even one of the ten most memorable opponents of ours this season, and Simmons is a total afterthought, a non-factor to 95% of the college basketball world, playing for a team that doesn't matter in a league that doesn't matter.

Good call.

It's news to me that Ben Simmons and Brandon Ingram dominated college basketball this season. I don't think Ingram was even one of the ten most memorable opponents of ours this season, and Simmons is a total afterthought, a non-factor to 95% of the college basketball world, playing for a team that doesn't matter in a league that doesn't matter.

B. IngramG 40 Minutes 5-12 FG 3-8 3PT FG 0-0 FT 4 oREBS 7 DREBS 11 TREBS 3 Assists 0 Blocks 0 St 3 TO 2 F 13 Points

dominating

I know this isn't the main topic of the thread, but this caught my eye," The intention of the NBA’s rule was to ensure players either go to college, play internationally or play in the D-League for a season before turning professional." If this an option why don't more guys go straight to the d-league out of highschool. From what I've read on here, d-league coaches are as good as college coaches and players would be able to focus entirely on basketball without school getting in the way. And they could do it while earning a paycheck prior to their big payday.

When you are a first rounder drafted and sponsored by an NBA team, practice with the NBA team quite often all season, play some minutes in the regular season + preseason + summer league, work with the NBA assistant coaches and trainers, and play some games in the D-League for Reps, IMO it is as good as the NCAA for development (in general -- not all situations). It has taken time for the NBA to start to use the D-League effectively (In spurts)

But if you are not the property of an NBA team... and only have access to D-League facilities, coaches, and live the full year life of a minor league player, get paid relatively little, and don't get the glory of an NCAA player... well as an undrafted first year player the choice for the NCAA is much easier.

Ask Skal L. If he did that, he would have been a lottery pick. Instead, he was exposed and fell to the 2nd round.

If he sucks he still would be exposed wherever he played. Players used to be able to trick a lot more teams and scouts coming directly from HS.

I don't like watching the NBA. I don't like the rules. The refs have too much control over the outcome of the game. It's like watching Championship Wrestling to me. It's a show not a game.

good point. I cant recall a college basketball game determined by poor officiating.

Dave85 said:
This is like asking someone who is a born-again Christian to become Jewish. My religion is Orange.
I agree. I give my all to one team per sport so that there is nothing left for any others. I can't even be happy when my friends' teams do well. Maybe that makes me a bad person.

Blah blah blah blah blah. Its going to be an individual choice and we can't really say what will be best for each player. I don't really see a lot of players taking the Maker route. I'd think more would take the Brandon Jennings or Mudiay (sp?) routes. At least they got paid their year out. If kids want to play D-league instead of college I've got no problem with that. Just like my best friend who took a factory job driving a forklift instead of going to college. The only real downside is exposure to the public that college basketball provides. The NBA will find players no matter where they are and will judge them based on how they look and what type of opponents they played against. The Maker thing is puzzling and I anticipate we won't hear much from him if the whole age thing is right and he is actually 23 or 24. I was a 6'2" 180 lb guard. Didn't play varsity because I didn't want to be the 10th man and ride the pine. If I had played against high school players when I was 23 I would have been all conference. (To be clear I'm talking OHSL, not against the best in the country).

Blah blah blah blah blah. Its going to be an individual choice and we can't really say what will be best for each player. I don't really see a lot of players taking the Maker route. I'd think more would take the Brandon Jennings or Mudiay (sp?) routes. At least they got paid their year out. If kids want to play D-league instead of college I've got no problem with that. Just like my best friend who took a factory job driving a forklift instead of going to college. The only real downside is exposure to the public that college basketball provides. The NBA will find players no matter where they are and will judge them based on how they look and what type of opponents they played against. The Maker thing is puzzling and I anticipate we won't hear much from him if the whole age thing is right and he is actually 23 or 24. I was a 6'2" 180 lb guard. Didn't play varsity because I didn't want to be the 10th man and ride the pine. If I had played against high school players when I was 23 I would have been all conference. (To be clear I'm talking OHSL, not against the best in the country).

There's a kid on my 12 year old's CYO basketball team who's 14 years old. If my 14 old played on my 12 year old's team he would score 20 points per game. It's really irritating what some parents do with their kids. My sons are April and July babies so they have always been the youngest in their classes. Bad parenting on my part I guess.

In terms of Maker and CBB. What bothers me a bit is the conversation is never about what is good for CBB. I thought CBB was a lot more fun to watch when you did not have 1-and-done players. I like the idea of 1-and-done players going directly into D-League. Then maybe CBB would have more consistent rosters. I like the era when players like John Wallace stayed 4 years. Those days are gone. I think it's a bit of a shame.

Maybe more 5-stars will take this path:

"Five-star recruit Terrance Ferguson will not enroll at Arizona and will instead head overseas to play professionally.

"Terrance Ferguson informed me earlier this week that he has decided to pursue professional opportunities instead of attending the University of Arizona this fall," Wildcats coach Sean Miller said Thursday in a release. "I hope this next chapter of his basketball career goes well, and his goal of one day becoming an NBA player is realized."

Five-star SG Ferguson drops Arizona for overseas

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom