Coyle leaving for Minnesota AD job | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

Coyle leaving for Minnesota AD job

Hey folks, Minnesota Gophers fan here.

There's an interesting mixture of angst/aggravation on this board, and not unexpectedly or unreasonably so. You probably feel a lot like we did when our previous AD left under uncomfortable circumstances.

It's evident that Mark Coyle's name is mud at Syracuse since he left for Minnesota. I wonder what portion of the orange adherents liked him until yesterday, compared to those who hated him all along. If you never liked him, I'd sure like to know what it was that turned you off. Also, what did Coyle do right/wrong while at Syracuse?

I wonder also whether it's been established that Coyle never warned Chancellor Syverud that he was leaving, or shopping around. Or is that mere surmise?

He really wasn't here long enough to form any opinion about what he did or didn't do, because as Millhouse pointed out, I'm not really sure that he did or didn't do anything :noidea:

What a Judas piece of <REDACTED>! Cuse just had a Final Four team, Minnesota...

Pack your bags and get the hell out.

Now that we have that settled, I am willing to chip in on any buy out clause Aleva has with LSU to go somewhere else... please take him!

There's an interesting mixture of angst/aggravation on this board, and not unexpectedly or unreasonably so. You probably feel a lot like we did when our previous AD left under uncomfortable circumstances.

It's evident that Mark Coyle's name is mud at Syracuse since he left for Minnesota. I wonder what portion of the orange adherents liked him until yesterday, compared to those who hated him all along. If you never liked him, I'd sure like to know what it was that turned you off. Also, what did Coyle do right/wrong while at Syracuse?

I wonder also whether it's been established that Coyle never warned Chancellor Syverud that he was leaving, or shopping around. Or is that mere surmise?
its hard to say. he preached truth and accountability, but then pulled something like this. Especially while the ACC meetings are going on. I think you need to take how he approached this into account.

Coyle's a douchebag because of the manner in which he fired Shafer and staff, the manner in which he let the kids know about the firing, and the complete lack of courtesy and respect shown to Babers (him finding out via the press).

I think we've all learned an important lesson here, and that is that life really is short, and things can change and are unpredictable, and so the only reasonable thing any of us can do is to leave college with eligibility on the table and try to go pro as soon as that looks like a legitimate possibility.

I wouldn't trust him with my money or my wife. Lack of ethics and character does not bode well for his future activities.

I was told that within two months of taking the SU job he was looking around. :noidea:
He doesn't sound like the sharpest tool in the shed if he didn't do his homework first. These are all questions I would have asked up front in the interview to get an idea of what I should be expecting. Especially concerning a budget.

May 11, 2016

Dear Orange Club Members and Season Ticket Holders,

On behalf of the Athletics Department leadership, I am writing to share with you that this morning Mark Coyle informed the University that, for family reasons, he is leaving the University for a position at Minnesota. The University wishes him well in the endeavor. The Chancellor is in the process of naming interim leadership and will communicate that decision very soon. During the past several years, our student-athletes have been incredibly successful both on the field and in the classroom. Combined with our significant investment in new facilities and our membership in one of the finest athletic and academic conferences in the country, the athletics director position at Syracuse University is one of the very best in the nation.

We appreciate your continued support of our student-athletes and our programs.

Go Orange!

Sincerely,

Sue Cornelius Edson

Got this in my EMAIL...

Coyle's a douchebag because of the manner in which he fired Shafer and staff, the manner in which he let the kids know about the firing, and the complete lack of courtesy and respect shown to Babers (him finding out via the press).
Douchebag implies a lack of intelligence, I don't think he's stupid. A more appropriate label for him, based on your astute summation of his tenure
would be in medical terminology, a Rectal Orifice.

Douchebag implies a lack of intelligence, I don't think he's stupid. A more appropriate label for him, based on your astute summation of his tenure
I think there are some other descriptions. Check the "things less stable than Coyle" thread. ;)

I wouldn't trust him with my money or my wife. Lack of ethics and character does not bode well for his future activities.
Take my wife - please.

He left everyone hanging,he left his employer w/o representation at the very important ACC meetings with out notifying no one. He is Gypsy of a person who has worked for FSU,Miami,Kentucky,Minn.Boise St. and Syracuse plus a private Company now back to you guys. And he had the balls to say he was going to Minnesota to bring "STABILTY".

That's priceless if I do say......Syracuse will come out stronger in the end over Minnesota's buyout.

He doesn't sound like the sharpest tool in the shed if he didn't do his homework first. These are all questions I would have asked up front in the interview to get an idea of what I should be expecting. Especially concerning a budget.

This. I can't fathom how he would have misjudged the position to the degree that he was looking for something else two months later. In my opinion, this is ALL about his character. To have willingly engaged with Cuse, made the commitment, and then bag on the commitment so soon after starting is just inexcusable. If true, he really couldn't have done a damn thing over the last 11 months cause he was essentially a lame duck from month 2 onward. Good riddance.

May 11, 2016

Dear Orange Club Members and Season Ticket Holders,

On behalf of the Athletics Department leadership, I am writing to share with you that this morning Mark Coyle informed the University that, for family reasons, he is leaving the University for a position at Minnesota. The University wishes him well in the endeavor. The Chancellor is in the process of naming interim leadership and will communicate that decision very soon. During the past several years, our student-athletes have been incredibly successful both on the field and in the classroom. Combined with our significant investment in new facilities and our membership in one of the finest athletic and academic conferences in the country, the athletics director position at Syracuse University is one of the very best in the nation.

We appreciate your continued support of our student-athletes and our programs.

Go Orange!

Sincerely,

Sue Cornelius Edson

Got this in my EMAIL...

strange, this might be the first time I haven't gotten an su email.

Douchebag implies a lack of intelligence, I don't think he's stupid.
A more appropriate label for him, based on your astute summation of his tenure

No it doesn't.
Very intelligent, wealthy people can often be some of the biggest douchebags of all.

It's an attitude. And actions resulting from said attitude.

And it can be somewhat synonymous w Rectal Orifice.

No it doesn't.
Very intelligent, wealthy people can often be some of the biggest douchebags of all.

Agree. Harbaugh, Kiffin, Rodriguez, Schiano...I don't think any of them are stupid, but I think they are all douchebags.

Grob was stupid but not a douchebag, just an incompetent fool.

No it doesn't.

For example- when looking up douchebag in the dictionary one finds Edsall, Randy. Hope that helps.

This. I can't fathom how he would have misjudged the position to the degree that he was looking for something else two months later. In my opinion, this is ALL about his character. To have willingly engaged with Cuse, made the commitment, and then bag on the commitment so soon after starting is just inexcusable. If true, he really couldn't have done a damn thing over the last 11 months cause he was essentially a lame duck from month 2 onward. Good riddance.

I guess the email from Syracuse settles whether or not anyone from your school knew in advance that Coyle was planning to leave. Evidently he didn't disclose that to anyone, not even the chancellor.

But are you sure he misjudged the Syracuse position? Is it possible that Minnesota was a job he'd always wanted? You know, some of us who have lived there think Minnesota is really great. Some people even move away and then come back.

They could be going out in batches.
Or maybe they only went out to Friends Of Coyle. ;)

I guess the email from Syracuse settles whether or not anyone from your school knew in advance that Coyle was planning to leave. Evidently he didn't disclose that to anyone, not even the chancellor.

But are you sure he misjudged the Syracuse position? Is it possible that Minnesota was a job he'd always wanted? You know, some of us who have lived there think Minnesota is really great. Some people even move away and then come back.
Looking at his track record,he will leave in short order to a bigger program....

I'm an Orange Club member with a whopping 14 points : ) and I didn't get the email either. Guess you need 15 to make the email list.

ekmn said:
I guess the email from Syracuse settles whether or not anyone from your school knew in advance that Coyle was planning to leave. Evidently he didn't disclose that to anyone, not even the chancellor. But are you sure he misjudged the Syracuse position? Is it possible that Minnesota was a job he'd always wanted? You know, some of us who have lived there think Minnesota is really great. Some people even move away and then come back.

Could be. Who knows?

You should watch the introductory press conference here. Said basically the same stuff without the gopher fight song.

And honestly it's pointless. It's not really the why that is telling (maybe he really loves it there and it was a pretty big pay raise) - it's the how he left. That's the stuff that points to his professionalism and his character.

I'd be worried if I were you. Might wake up one day with no AD, no warning.