Credit to Mike Waters… | Syracusefan.com

Credit to Mike Waters…

He asked the exact m2m question that needed to be asked and framed it with the premise that JB said and played m2m early.

The answer was what you’d expect.
He said they tried to install a man-to-man defense in the summer and the fall.

And, the players couldn't play it.

Seems like a reasonable answer to me.

Then he can’t coach man.

Because every single one of his players —the ones he chose to attend SU — have played man their entire lives before they got to SU.

You have to wonder then why he recruited these deeply flawed players.

It might seem reasonable on the surface to some, but I don't buy it. I think it's closer to the truth that JB does not see the advantages in devoting the necessary practice time to be good at man. That's different from claiming that the players just aren't good enough defenders. Of course, talent is a factor that impacts just how "good" they could be. But it is intellectually dishonest to make a blanket statement that he tried and the players weren't good enough to play man.

It might seem reasonable on the surface to some, but I don't buy it. I think it's closer to the truth that JB does not see the advantages in devoting the necessary practice time to be good at man. That's different from claiming that the players just aren't good enough defenders. Of course, talent is a factor that impacts just how "good" they could be. But it is intellectually dishonest to make a blanket statement that he tried and the players weren't good enough to play man.
It’s also preposterous because this program hasn’t played a meaningful amount of man defense in, what, more than 20 years?

He just doesn’t want to play it. He should just admit that instead of his incessant bullspitting about it.

If the staff cant recruit players who can play man to man, I gotta ask if I can get a job at this free money printing nonsense land that is the Syracuse Athletic Department. Players literally grew up playing man to man. Do your jobs better. Miserable.

Last edited:
Perhaps the narrative that the 2-3 zone was so amazing during 2003 was the worst thing that could’ve happened?

Oklahoma looked like idiots against it, but beyond that we won with offense - especially in the final 4.

We went man in our two biggest regular season wins against Pitt and ND. If JB had been too stubborn to switch back then, we would’ve lost both those games by 15+ points.

Not even having a secondary defense as an option is a bad idea.

Perhaps the narrative that the 2-3 zone was so amazing during 2003 was the worst thing that could’ve happened?

Oklahoma looked like idiots against it, but beyond that we won with offense - especially in the final 4.

We went man in our two biggest regular season wins against Pitt and ND. If JB had been too stubborn to switch back then, we would’ve lost both those games by 15+ points.

Not even having a secondary defense as an option is a bad idea.
It's absurd, frankly.

He just doesn’t want to play it. He should just admit that instead of his incessant bullspitting about it.
Or worse still, blaming the players. To be clear, I have no problem with JB running the program any way he sees fit. He is in the HOF for a reason. The problem for me (apart from the obvious decline in the program) is not acknowledging the problem and instead trying to rationalize and deflect accountability.

Or worse still, blaming the players. To be clear, I have no problem with JB running the program any way he sees fit. He is in the HOF for a reason. The problem for me (apart from the obvious decline in the program) is not acknowledging the problem and instead trying to rationalize and deflect accountability.
Totally agree. But according to Jim, there are no problems. None whatsoever. The fact that we haven’t been ranked post-January 1st in NINE years is just a fluke.

They don't excel at teaching the game.
This is where I have a problem with those who say we can’t accurately evaluate the current staff. They’re the ones coaching practice, we know it’s not really JB. So if we can’t play man, then it’s on them. Plus all the other stuff we can’t do that any MAAC team can.

Have you attended any practice sessions?

If the staff cant recruit players who can play man to man, I gotta ask if I can get a job at this free money printing nonsense land that is the Syracuse Athletic Department. Players literally grew up playing man to man. Do your jobs better. Miserable.
Just because you play man to man doesn't mean you know how to play defense. If you can't hit your spots in a zone, you're in trouble in a one on one situation.

Totally agree. But according to Jim, there are no problems. None whatsoever. The fact that we haven’t been ranked post-January 1st in NINE years is just a fluke.
Overstating my point, but I think deep down he is acutely aware of the problems.

It's amazing that people actually don't admit the problem with the program is JB.
He doesn't care about the school, fans, players or anyone but himself.
He doesn't spend the time to recruit well, and it shows by the type of players we bring in. We are bad and have been for 9 years.
By contrast our women's coach brought in a brand new team, outside of Hyman.
She went from 8 wins to 18 in one of the 3 best conferences, and is competitive in every game.
This year's men's ACC conference is one of the worst in history.
JB doesn't want to admit that he doesn't spend the time needed to be a good coach anymore, and hasn't for a number of years.

No offense, but the way you take everything any coach says as 100% gospel, and never consider they are speaking with an agenda or a CYA perspective, strikes me as naive.

Last edited:

we’re currently 266 in rebounding margin

Jims point was “actually it’s not that bad because we get turnovers”

lets pretend that’s the case... but we all know it‘s not when 265 teams have better rebounding margins.

our turnover margin?

99th. not like top 10 to counter the 265, 99th

you want to have more shots and possessions. Not the same. The idea Jim would suggest that as smugly as he did was absurd

Just because you play man to man doesn't mean you know how to play defense. If you can't hit your spots in a zone, you're in trouble in a one on one situation.
The scheme would be better against most of these opponents, regardless. Playing a 2-3 zone against teams loaded with shooters that are shooting well is just a bad decision.

Even if it’s just switching to a different look for 5-10 minutes and adjusting to what’s happening and what’s hurting us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom