Credit to Mike Waters… | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Credit to Mike Waters…

with of course they get assists, you pass against the zone.
Yeah, that stat site only goes back to 18-19 and SU is in that quadrant every season. To me if your defense is predicated on teams taking lower percentage shots, then if you're executing well, it should be reflected in the defensive rating (same for the blocks). SU's defense is doing what it is supposed to do. SU is "forcing" teams to make lots of passes and take lots of threes, as evidenced by the chart. But their defense isn't good. So what's the point?

Also, Houston gives up a lot of three attempts, as a percentage of shots against them, but their defense under Sampson is usually top-10.

Huh? I would assume the #1 prospect would be a dominant scorer. And that person would get the ball over and over and over here.
People that don’t think the zone is the problem put it exclusively on a talent gap. My point is that JB would take the no 1 player out of HS and put them In the zone. And it would be terrible. And it wouldn’t be because the person wasn’t talented or couldn’t play man. It would be terrible because no one should be playing zone defense exclusively in todays game. It’s a horrible strategic defense against nearly every team

People also seem to forget that the player you are talking about was one of the guys who played M2M in the triangle and 2 that JB used against Duke in the ACCT. He held his own there. That was an awesome coaching move by JB.
Yea and everyone has this false understanding that M2M defense puts each defender on an island where their weakness gets exploited. That’s not even remotely true and anyone that has ever coached at any level can tell you that

I don't think that's the sole reason.
Nothing is the sole reason but we want our guys out on the ball and often are running at their opponent who is shooting rather than playing them straight up

Yea and everyone has this false understanding that M2M defense puts each defender on an island where their weakness gets exploited. That’s not even remotely true and anyone that has ever coached at any level can tell you that
Exactly. Bennett has had some rather average athletes over the years and still no one can score on them. Ty Jerome and Kyle Guy had no issues winning a national title and no one would consider them Aaron Craft.

Nothing is the sole reason but we want our guys out on the ball and often are running at their opponent who is shooting rather than playing them straight up
I get that when it comes to the zone. But, if you go all the way back to the early days of the Big East (in other words, pre-zone-only days), our bigs always seemed to have foul trouble.

Over the last few Cs, we've had more than our share of head-scratching fouls, like reaching in at mid-court, or just plain running into guys in transition. To me, it's a mental issue.

You can’t cherry pick - in conference. Are those Bennys stats when he was a freshman in conference? Benny as a frosh overall was 33% last year. (.091 from 3). He was flat horrible, both talent and mental. But now he’s a sophomore.

I don’t really need stats to tell me Bell has a sweet stroke, one of the best we’ve had in awhile, and had one of the better freshman SF campaigns in a long time. 6.6 ppg. My support of his shooting doesn’t mean he doesn’t need work in other areas.

Mintz has a better overall % because he makes a lot of layups. His outside shooting is not better. But shooting stats can be a bit goofy anyways as Bells overall shooting % is better than Girard’s. It’s not like these things are created equally.

People bag on his defense but he’s one of the more active players moving from high to low. He gets hurt getting caught out of position a lot with inside help. That’ll improve over time.

If Bell works hard to improve his overall game he has the raw potential and athleticism to be a high level player but I fear that won’t happen and probably not here.

Has Bell hit a 3 off the dribble this year? I honestly can't recall one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom