Dabo | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Dabo

I'd rather fold the football program than have it be coached by Dabo Swinney

I have zero problem with the interview. He's telling his players not to care about the noise, and he fired back, publicly, with that sentiment.

I kinda liked it. I imagine his guys did, too.
Agreed. Good for him to stand up for himself and his program to some ungrateful clown on sports talk radio

He clearly sucks. Clemson should move on from him as quickly as possible.
It would be great to find a great coach that’s so fed up with the expectations at a factory school that he’d be willing to take $4m a year to coast to averaging 8 wins a year here and easily win the fans over just by having a strong OL and not committing 10 penalties a game. Oh and manage a clock better than a 5 year old.

Our expectations are so comparatively low it’s funny. We just want a guy that is competent at the basics of being a HC. Winning 9-10 games a year is beyond optional at this point lol.

It would be great to find a great coach that’s so fed up with the expectations at a factory school that he’d be willing to take $4m a year to coast to averaging 8 wins a year here and easily win the fans over just by having a strong OL and not committing 10 penalties a game. Oh and manage a clock better than a 5 year old.

Our expectations are so comparatively low it’s funny. We just want a guy that is competent at the basics of being a HC. Winning 9-10 games a year is beyond optional at this point lol.
Don’t forget that coach would be able to exist in a media market that is the one of softest touches in the country.

Which really illustrates how coaches are basically insane. Marrone, Shafer and Babers all descended into a black cloud of public depression IN SYRACUSE.

Yeah. I’m surprised with people hammering him on this. He’s won 2 titles in 7 years!! Have Clemson fans lost their minds? He’s probably worth more than the $11.5m a year.
It's not about the titles. He put his ego and personal beliefs over that of the program and those have come back to punch him in the face. He's shell shocked because he didn't expect the program to fall as fast as it has. He has lashed out a number of times this season at fans who are asking legitimate questions. He has breathing room because of his success, but he better figure it out for 2024.

Reactions: gbo
Is this the right place to note that Tom Cruise is the best runner in the history of cinema?

This was such a good movie IMO. Perhaps, because I was at the approx. age as the characters portrayed when the movie ran in '83. I also recall there was a scene in it too, where one of the actors/players (can't recall who) says he's going to play ball at Syracuse! :cool:

Don’t forget that coach would be able to exist in a media market that is the one of softest touches in the country.

Which really illustrates how coaches are basically insane. Marrone, Shafer and Babers all descended into a black cloud of public depression IN SYRACUSE.

Brent Axe is a monster.

It's not about the titles. He put his ego and personal beliefs over that of the program and those have come back to punch him in the face. He's shell shocked because he didn't expect the program to fall as fast as it has. He has lashed out a number of times this season at fans who are asking legitimate questions. He has breathing room because of his success, but he better figure it out for 2024.
Perhaps I'm in the minority.

I want a guy that believes in himself, his program, his accomplishments, and the people he has around him. He's done it. Can do it. And will likely do it again. His players want that, too. I have NO problem with a leader spouting off, defending his guys.

Of course... This may be the conversation he should have had with the team(and likely did). We usually get "coach speak", and every last one of us knows its BS. I'll take a coach that's not afraid to speak his mind.

He spouted off about "Clemsoning", way back. (Losing games you shouldn't). Laid right into the reporter. And then he won 3 national championships.

He fights back. I like it.

Last edited:
I'd say this re Clemson fans' frustrations with the program, it's one thing for an incredible run to inevitably end (if Alabama's run wasn't going on, people would be talking about just how insane Clemson's has been), but it feels like three things that Dabo is actively exacerbating the speed to end this run:

>> The portal use is basically nothing outside of, for example, just a few guys that were basically favors for others.

>> Not keeping the staff up to quality that a Clemson deserves (for various reasons)

>> Tied to the second thing, the player development hasn't been good.

Again, I'd take their run in a heartbeat because its historical, but I can see why fans would be thankful for what Dabo has done, but because of that same level of achievement, be frustrated by where it's going with his choices.

Also, if you are getting paid more than $10M a year to coach football, you are going to have mad fans if you are 4-4, end of story.

I want a guy that believes in himself, his program, his accomplishments, and the people he has around him. He's done it. Can do it. And will likely do it again. His players want that, too. I have NO problem with a leader spouting off, defending his guys.

Of course... This may be the conversation he should have had with the team(and likely did). We usually get "coach speak", and every last one of us knows its BS. I'll take a coach that's not afraid to speak his mind.

He spouted off about "Clemsoning", way back. (Losing games you shouldn't). Laid right into the reporter. And then he won 3 national championships.

I love Dabo, and think that was a pretty good response, I just wish he was raised in the northeast instead of Mayberry and got rid of some of those "dad-gum's" and "bullcrap's" and replaced them with a little spice...that response would be legendary with about 30 bleeped out words in it

It would take SMU about 24 hours to offer Dabo more than he's making at Clemson.

There's nothing wrong with believing yourself. Dabo is full of as a person and it seeped over into how he runs the program. Doesn't believe in NIL except for God's name, image and likeness, doesn't use the portal and he hasn't recruited at the clip he used to especially at wide receiver. They are 4-4 for a reason and as much as he makes, upset fans getting under his skin shows how small a person he is.

There's nothing wrong with believing yourself. Dabo is full of as a person and it seeped over into how he runs the program. Doesn't believe in NIL except for God's name, image and likeness, doesn't use the portal and he hasn't recruited at the clip he used to especially at wide receiver. They are 4-4 for a reason and as much as he makes, upset fans getting under his skin shows how small a person he is.
I see it slightly different. Certainly deserves criticism for the record. I dont mind the response.

He's not going to let his players speak like that. He's willing to take the heat, himself, for speaking his mind. In doing so, he defended every guy in his locker room. Players probably loved it.

I didn't see a small person. I heard a fiery leader that believes in his team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom