Dabo | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dabo

There is a reason you dont go very deep with finding teams that have extended runs of really good play that go 10+ yrs. Look how FSU/Miami/Neb fell after really high peeks as well. Alabama had a huge downturn, Texas has had one. USC has had one. Fans who expect it to never end are gonna fail.

Its like NE fans now that they are not the tip top team they were for almost 20 yrs.

They've obviously lost some good coaches but anyone with a brain should recognize their star level talent deficiencies. It's easy not to be so great when you don't have NFL kids on offense. Their offensive talent is pedestrian.

Since 2021 (2 years) they've haven't really had any offensive players taken in the draft (2023 had a 5th round G and TE big deal).

2021 - draft was incredible. 1st round Lawrence, Etienne, Amari Rodgers, w/a 2nd round Guard.
2020 - 7 draft picks including 2 first rounders and Tee Higgins in the 2nd
2019 - 3 first round picks including Hunter Renfrow in R5
2017 - Mike Williams/DeShaun Watson
2016 - 9 draft picks

In the past 2 years they've had 8 draft picks and half were round 5 or lower. 6 of 8 kids on defense.

Further, it's not like they haven't had top 10 recruiting classes every single year but the recruit rankings for them have been wrong. There have been some massive misses at QB, WR, RB. A bunch of 4 and 5 star kids since 2019 who aren't even on the team anymore.

Last edited:
Clemson fans are insane if they pile on him. No one else is winning two national championships at Clemson.

I'll add a caveat in that his NIL position is outdated and he needs to get with the program on that and transfers if he wants to succeed, but he's obviously a great coach.

It's also easy to be classy when you're winning 11+ games a year. It's a lot harder when you're 4-4 and your fanbase is restless.
Clemson had five Top 10 finishes from when they started playing football in 1902 until 2008 when Dabo was hired. He's had seven since then.

In the 90s and 2000s if Clemson started 4-4, no one would even notice nationally.

Clemson had five Top 10 finishes from when they started playing football in 1902 until 2008 when Dabo was hired. He's had seven since then.

In the 90s and 2000s if Clemson started 4-4, no one would even notice nationally.

Dabo getting heat from Clemson fans right now helps explain why coaches will jump ship so quickly for a new, higher paying job. If you know that fans turn salty halfway through your first bad year, there’s no reason to stick around if a better opportunity presents itself.

I don't agree with the caller's approach but he was correct in a lot of what he said. Dabo won't use NIL, won't use the portal, hired tons of friends and guys with zero experience. Dabo has a massive ego and people are afraid that he will make minimal changes. The decline has been going on for years...

I don't agree with the caller's approach but he was correct in a lot of what he said. Dabo won't use NIL, won't use the portal, hired tons of friends and guys with zero experience. Dabo has a massive ego and people are afraid that he will make minimal changes. The decline has been going on for years...
It's gotta be rough to be a fan of Clemson football...

Clemson fans are insane if they pile on him. No one else is winning two national championships at Clemson.

I'll add a caveat in that his NIL position is outdated and he needs to get with the program on that and transfers if he wants to succeed, but he's obviously a great coach.

It's also easy to be classy when you're winning 11+ games a year. It's a lot harder when you're 4-4 and your fanbase is restless.
Spot on - Clemson fans overvalue their legacy and place in the pecking order Pre-Dabo. Once they lose him they will be back to middle of the pack. As for Dabo I think he cheated and leaned on coordinators, but he is going to be irreplaceable for that program. Also agree that it's easy to be everyone's buddy when you are kicking their teeth in. It's harder when they start kicking back.

He clearly sucks. Clemson should move on from him as quickly as possible.

I mean wasn’t Clemson just like a nothing program before he got there ? Correct me if I’m wrong but they were just a team. Now they are a brand

This isn’t going to work out I hope the contract is nice and long he won’t come close to the previous highs. The longer he stays the better it is for everyone else in the ACC because the right guy can come in and run the table there year 1.

Coaches at the top aren’t good. Mac Brown Cristobal Dabo. Look how easy it was for Brohm to win right away.

I mean wasn’t Clemson just like a nothing program before he got there ? Correct me if I’m wrong but they were just a team. Now they are a brand
Precisely.

They were a nice little southern program that sometimes won 8 or 9 games and would get ranked in the #20-25 range. Lots of Peach Bowl appearances.

I'd be fine switching coaches with Clemson if they will eat the difference in salary. Hell, they don't even have to take Dino -- just pay the difference in salary between DB and Dabo.

This isn’t going to work out I hope the contract is nice and long he won’t come close to the previous highs. The longer he stays the better it is for everyone else in the ACC because the right guy can come in and run the table there year 1.

Coaches at the top aren’t good. Mac Brown Cristobal Dabo. Look how easy it was for Brohm to win right away.
Transfer portal provides a lot more parity than folks think. I know the rich schools can keep buying players but by and large, guys want to play. In the past, there were five stars stuck on depth charts for far longer than they are now. Portal is good for the next level right below the top.

Yes, guys want money, but they want to play more than that.

in a perfect and mythical world, Clemson can can him, pay him 60M and he can work for us for FREEEEEEEEEEEE!

See...SU should sell itself as the place where you can be a great coach, play close games, go 4-4 and we will still appreciate you! ;)

Transfer portal provides a lot more parity than folks think. I know the rich schools can keep buying players but by and large, guys want to play. In the past, there were five stars stuck on depth charts for far longer than they are now. Portal is good for the next level right below the top.

Yes, guys want money, but they want to play more than that.
These 4 and 5 star recruits used to stay with these major big name teams regardless if they played. They were willing to sit on the bench, until the transfer rules changed & playing right away while making NIL money became available, in just the last few years. I used to wonder why kids with such heralded talent were willing to sit the bench for years for these programs.

I’m not saying Clemson fans aren’t insane, but the team (and performance) have been on a decline since after the 2020 season and 2 years ago (?) he signed a huge contract

Last edited:
Reactions: gbo
I have zero problem with the interview. He's telling his players not to care about the noise, and he fired back, publicly, with that sentiment.

I kinda liked it. I imagine his guys did, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom