DaJuan...how many years left? | Syracusefan.com

DaJuan...how many years left?

Dave85

Living Legend
How many years of eligibility does DC have? I've heard announcers call him a senior but Verbal Commits is showing him has a Junior in eligibility. A we going to see DC next year as a graduate student?

http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/syracuse

If you are not familiar with Verbal Commits it's a terrific web site!

How many years of eligibility does DC have? I've heard announcers call him a senior but Verbal Commits is showing him has a Junior in eligibility. A we going to see DC next year as a graduate student?

He has one year of basketball eligibility left after this season. He's a senior academically.

He has one year of basketball eligibility left after this season. He's a senior academically.

Has he said he's interested in playing if he gets the opportunity?

Verbal Commits seems to be showing we have 1 spot left open for 2016. Does this mean we have a 11 scholarship positions in 2016?

If you're DaJuan and there is interest for you to play overseas, do you come back to SU when you're going to turn 24 this fall? I just feel like there is such a small window to earn a living playing basketball, that playing another season for free when you already have a degree may not make sense.

Obviously I want him back.

Verbal Commits seems to be showing we have 1 spot left open for 2016. Does this mean we have a 11 scholarship positions in 2016?
That would be the spot they are hoping Taurean Thompson will fill. If no one else leaves unexpectedly that would be it for '16.

Last edited:
I see him coming back. I can't find the post, but I'm pretty sure somebody here linked the recovery times for OATS surgery and how long it takes athletes to get back to pre-surgery performance levels. IIRC, there's a big jump from year 1 to year 2, and year 3 puts an athlete back to almost pre-injury level. Given this information, I think he'll come back next year as an audition for international scouts. Right now, I doubt any international teams are/would show much interest in a big man with questionable knees and subpar college production. They almost certainly aren't going to offer him a big enough contract to justify the jump.

That said, if he comes back for one more season, plays injury free, and produces at a respectable level, he might help out his international stock immensely. Teams would have more of an idea about his health, for sure. If he comes back and injures himself again, he's maybe lost out on basketball money measured in the tens of thousands, not hundreds of thousands.

I think he starts over Chuckwu if he returns. although I am sure Chuck gets the bulk of playing time though.

Never know. I could see a scenario where Coleman starts the game and Chukwu gets 20 minutes - two headed monster. If our interior is getting eaten alive, Chukwu comes in defensively. If Coleman is having a good game to start and improves defensively for next year, he could gain more minutes.

Have to remember Chukwu will still only be a redshirt sophomore. He's 7-3 and I'm very excited about his prospects, and I'm sure he's improved since last year. But he's still relatively young in terms of collegiate experience.

Anyone else hear one of the announcers during the VT game say that DC was basically playing on a leg and a half? Also later in the game said that he couldnt make it through the full practice but would ride the stationary bike?

Anyone else hear one of the announcers during the VT game say that DC was basically playing on a leg and a half? Also later in the game said that he couldnt make it through the full practice but would ride the stationary bike?

Yeah, I was wondering about the bike comment. I bet that was just announcer BS to fill the space.

Yeah, I was wondering about the bike comment. I bet that was just announcer BS to fill the space.

Brando was on 1260 locally earlier that day and he said the same thing about Coleman, but he was strictly referring to when he first got back from the injury.

I thought they were crediting him for working hard to get back on the court and in shape, even riding the stationary bike while not participating in drills or in between drills.

If you are not familiar with Verbal Commits it's a terrific web site!
Assuming Coleman has enough credits after this semester he has three options for next year. He can go pro, he can come back with one more year of eligibility or he can go to another school as a 5th year transfer. I'm not sure if anyone knows what his plans are right now, but I would hope the third option is not in play.

Yes, Tim Brando said that. It was an irresponsible comment with no basis in reality as far as my eyes tell me, made by a hack broadcaster who failed to properly prepare for the telecast.

If you're DaJuan and there is interest for you to play overseas, do you come back to SU when you're going to turn 24 this fall? I just feel like there is such a small window to earn a living playing basketball, that playing another season for free when you already have a degree may not make sense.

I wouldn't come back, but thats me. Especially if I had my degree.

Yes, Tim Brando said that. It was an irresponsible comment with no basis in reality as far as my eyes tell me, made by a hack broadcaster who failed to properly prepare for the telecast.
yep

I wouldn't come back, but thats me. Especially if I had my degree.
I'd be back. He will be a big man on campus, a semi-celebrity among thousands of people his own age. I loved being a senior in college and high school. He would probably have the best time of his life, being the starting center of a nationally ranked squad playing in front of his home town.

Versus going somewhere overseas where you know no one, live in a foreign country and try hard for a roster spot. That sounds a lot like work. And there is no big guarantee on how well received or paid DC2 would be - he hasn't really wowed anyone yet.

I expect DC2 to be back. After the season he will meet with JB and have a talk. And I don't think it will take much out of JB to convince DC2 to stick around.

Brooky03 said:
I see him coming back. I can't find the post, but I'm pretty sure somebody here linked the recovery times for OATS surgery and how long it takes athletes to get back to pre-surgery performance levels. IIRC, there's a big jump from year 1 to year 2, and year 3 puts an athlete back to almost pre-injury level. Given this information, I think he'll come back next year as an audition for international scouts. Right now, I doubt any international teams are/would show much interest in a big man with questionable knees and subpar college production. They almost certainly aren't going to offer him a big enough contract to justify the jump. That said, if he comes back for one more season, plays injury free, and produces at a respectable level, he might help out his international stock immensely. Teams would have more of an idea about his health, for sure. If he comes back and injures himself again, he's maybe lost out on basketball money measured in the tens of thousands, not hundreds of thousands.
I hope you're right because I see us as a very scared team with DC back. However during my first year working with FGCU we had a center who averaged 2.8 points and 3.0 rebounds and he was able to sign a pro contract in France. He's still playing over there today. Like I said I hope he stays but I couldn't fault him one bit if he wanted to try and start a pro career after this year.

The 1 and half legs comment did strike me as new. Riding the bike was when he wasn't on the court practicing. I could see him on the sidelines when Lydon gets practice time at center. Or Chino. And that's when he would be on the bike, strengthening the knee/leg. I do think DC is one of the very few guys 6'9" who seldom dunks the ball. He had a dunk a couple of game back and at the time, I thought it was the first time I EVERY saw him dunk.

I would go. If he were to get injured again while at Cuse, he won't have any money in the bank from playing.

If there is an opportunity to play oversees, take it.