Dan Mullen | Page 35 | Syracusefan.com

Dan Mullen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question about his northeast recruiting chops. Does he have any? Does anyone know? That’s my only concern at all.

I know people are going to respond and say he can recruit nationally, which isn’t realistic for SU at all. So, I’m looking for a well-informed opinion/thought on this subject because I genuinely don’t know.

He’s certainly a good coach and great hire for that reason. He can recruit, I’m not worried about that. My question is about recruiting SU’s ACC footprint. How will he fair with that? And, please, no “we’ll recruit everyone from the portal” responses. Not realistic either. We need balance.

For this reason I thought Diaz or Golden were good fits. I like Mullen but he’s got to be able to recruit New Jersey for instance. Maybe he has good roots there. Again, I don’t know. Does anyone has insight?
I can't say if he has NE recruiting or not. As leader for the program he will bring in the necessary resources to optimize the recruiting footprint he wants. He will also inherit some people who have strong NJ ties, coaches and recruiting staff. I am not to worried about his ability in this space OR his ability to bring in or retain those who can.

I can't say if he has NE recruiting or not. As leader for the program he will bring in the necessary resources to optimize the recruiting footprint he wants. He will also inherit some people who have strong NJ ties, coaches and recruiting staff. I am not to worried about his ability in this space OR his ability to bring in or retain those who can.

Absolutely. Also, he's coached for a while so he's made many connections and let's add Florida recruiting as well being a supposed strength.

In hindsight Mullen’s comments during the Va Tech / Syr game were telling if I recall. Makes sense he pursued us. He knows the path to being a top four team in the ACc is there for the taking. Being top five in the SEC next year is going to be so damn hard.
He would have a chance to win at a program with a national perception of: "Nobody can win at Syracuse." You would need extreme confidence in your own ability and an iron clad commitment from SU to take on that kind of challenge.

1990?

There was no internet back then.

Nobody knew Coach Mac was leaving until they read about it in the paper the next morning.

And nobody knew Coach P was promoted until after it happened.
Oh, there was internet, just REAL REAL slow. I had prodigy in 1990 and it took me 2 hours to download a simple " picture file". Don't ask me why I remember this...

Oh, there was internet, just REAL REAL slow. I had prodigy in 1990 and it took me 2 hours to download a simple " picture file". Don't ask me why I remember this...
The dialup AOL days of this forum ... I remember those well.

This makes a lot of sense if you think about it.
1) he’s from the northeast
2) he was a GA at Cuse so he is very familiar with Cuse
3) the expectations at Cuse are nothing compared to MSU or UF so much less stress
4) the path to winning is much easier at Cuse
5) getting Cuse to a top 3 ACC team is pretty attainable
6) job stability and job security. From my understanding Mullen is a big family guy and this is a play he can settle down and not have to worry about the pressures and stresses if he is winning at least 8-9 a year
7) we have upgraded our facilities immensely in the last 5 years
8) we aren’t a total rebuild and I’m sure Mullens realizes that. We were a good coach away from winning at least 8 this year
9) we have some studs currently on the team.
OG, Wax, Allen, Villari, Barron, Bellamy, Farmer, Clark, McDonald, Jaquez, Lockett, Jobity, both Cruz’ on the o-line. He has talent to work with. Add good assistants and a couple stud transfers and a good recruiting class and we are cooking as early as his first season
10) weak schedule his first year. Mullens can hit the ground running and win 9 his first season. Mullen’s has a chance to be a LEGEND here. And I mean that. Dude is only 51. Imagine him staying here for 15 or so years and winning at least 8-9 games a year while here. FIRE ME UP

Since Mullin was a graduate assistant at SU, the facilities have really taken a step up. He saw what SU had and sees what’s been done and what’s coming? He grew up and went to school in the northeast. As you get older your priorities change. Another thing coaches notice is that SU stuck with Dino for eight years. That shows patience that coaches appreciate.

A buyout for him would be????

I still refuse to believe he wants Syracuse over sec and the bigger pay day.

I’m sure John is trying to squeeze him on that market for him in that 5mm plus range and a normalized buy out. We can’t be in a jimbo fisher situation if he is washed up.

Whether this plays out how we want with Mullen or not at least gives me hope that JW is willing to play ball. Big ball. Because I honestly didn’t know. But with the candidates and now this excitement, I feel better about their commitment regardless of what happens with Mullen.
I think JW knows he better not mess this up or he'll be on the hot seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.