Dan Mullen | Page 45 | Syracusefan.com

Dan Mullen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mullen flamed out at Florida? He had one losing season. Here is his record at Florida. 10-3, 11-2, 8-4, 5-6, fired after the 5-6.
And his 8-4 year he won the East and 3
Of the 4 losses were to top 10 teams

He’s in all purple. Northwestern?

I know this tie stuff is all silly, but Northwestern already gave the job to the interim coach that made a bowl game. Can you believe that? Northwestern goes through all the pre-season stuff a few weeks before the first game, puts a guy who doesn't believe he's even ready to be a head coach, and he gets them to a bowl game. Us? We can't find a QB that can throw more than 5 yards.

Seeing the football scoop headline is not sitting well with me….
As someone pointed out, I think they wrote that before Mullen really came into the picture, they don’t mention him being on campus Wednesday or anything so I wouldn’t worry. Chesney is certainly still a very legit possibility but Mullen isn’t the afterthought that the article makes him seem

Could be a redirection too. Say it’s Chesney or Mullen and then when it’s Mullen…boom. They (AD) know the board is hot on Mullen.

I looked back at a text that I sent my Gator booster friends on Nov 4, when I told them about the imminent ditching of Dino and my desire that they hire Mullen. ;)

That doesn’t say he didn’t recruit. That sounds like media getting annoyed about him not discussing recruiting during the season. So they use that to create their own interpretation to get back at him. He had 2 top 10 classes in 4 seasons so the narrative that he didnt recruit makes no sense.
I just pulled the first link after googling "dan Mullen Florida recruiting". It was a well discussed storyline leading up to his firing. My point in bringing this up is that if a coach is seen as a disinterested recruiter (relative to his conference peers) in the most fertile recruiting grounds in the country I am wary of how he will perform in the Northeast.

Here are some other headlines from the 1st page.

Mullen says the Gators will "do recruiting after the season" despite mounting losses and a class ranked 22nd nationally and 9th in the SEC.

Last edited:
Mullen flamed out at Florida? He had one losing season. Here is his record at Florida. 10-3, 11-2, 8-4, 5-6, fired after the 5-6.
Agreed but it’s perception among the SEC elites. I think they’d be quicker to poach the newcomer.

What SEC jobs would he even want he’s declining any of the smaller schools than UF to begin with.

I think his stock is higher everywhere else than the SEC which makes him less of a flight risk. Chesney is a huge one he’s a new Brian and Chip Kelly but not as big an a hole.

Wait the… the dude who can pick any open coaching job in America, but is in theory coming out of hiatus to coach Syracuse is going to get poached? Verse the up and comer who has proven nothing and can make a name for himself at Syracuse and move on? Not sure I agree with that logic… I think Chesney is a much higher flight risk.

To be honest I would love to better understand Mullen’s motivation for taking this job if he is indeed the new coach given that he can probably get whatever job he wants.
At his age he could coach here until he was ready to retire. He could join Ben, and Mac as legends here, and they would be talking about him in 20 years in the ACC as the man who resurrected the SU program.

Status
Not open for further replies.