Dan Mullen | Page 226 | Syracusefan.com

Dan Mullen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bulldog04 and the rest that shared information, I appreciate all that you did. It didn't work out the way we'd hoped, but such is life. It was a very entertaining weekend at worst. Don't stop sharing because of some haters.

This reminds me of a story...

Once upon a time, there was an old farmer who had worked his crops for many years.

One day his horse ran away. Upon hearing the news, his neighbors came to visit. “Such bad luck,” they said sympathetically, “you must be so sad.”

“We’ll see,” the farmer replied.

The next morning the horse returned, bringing with it two other wild horses.

“How wonderful,” the neighbors exclaimed! “Not only did your horse return, but you received two more. What great fortune you have!”

“We’ll see,” answered the farmer.

The following day, his son tried to ride one of the untamed horses, was thrown, and broke his leg. The neighbors again came to offer their sympathy on his misfortune. “Now your son cannot help you with your farming,” they said. “What terrible luck you have!”

“We’ll see,” replied the old farmer.

The following week, military officials came to the village to conscript young men into the army. Seeing that the son’s leg was broken, they passed him by. The neighbors congratulated the farmer on how well things had turned out. “Such great news. You must be so happy!”

The man smiled to himself and said once again.

“We’ll see,”

Appreciate your info but have to disagree with "Lotta different people on the inside." There are only few true insiders. For instance someone working in the football wing would not be an insider for who the new HC will be. They would just be passing rumors and not actual info.
You're part of the problem. You have no idea who he knows and who they know. Better for people like you to just be quiet. Now I lose another person who was willing to share because of people who make comments like you. Thanks so much.

This place honestly has gotten so awful recently by some of the newer posters.
This era is pretty tame compared to some earlier eras, and nothing compared to other boards. There were some real acrimonious (and also fun) times back in the day. I left at one point because there was way too much preaching about how people should post.

Anyhow, I hope we hire a coach soon, so we can get on with it. If its Chesney, he will ironically be under a greater microscope than Mullen would have been.

Ridiculous take
Lol. Stupid fans:
1701095329139.png

Though I am sad that Mullen will not be our next head coach, I think in every hire, there are positives and negatives. Even though Mullen would have been a great hire, he would not have turned around this program in a year. If Mullen had asked for a king's ransom, that would have left little money for good coordinators. If it is Chesney or some other smaller name, he will be on a much lower salary, which means better OC and DC. If Chesney does not work out, there will hopefully be two proven coordinators you hired ready for the leap. As another poster said, hiring is like a lottery ticket. Maybe we will win the jackpot. Perhaps we won't. But all I know is that life goes on no matter who the hire is. Most of us, including myself, will continue to support SU football.

Go Orange!

100%, it's literally been 8 days since Dino was let go. Some of the fanbase isn't honest on where SU is in the D1 P5 hierarchy. It's not 1991.
It’s not 1991, but I think most of us wish the administration wanted to get the football program back to that level, and for whatever reason the optics of most of their decisions make it seem like there’s no hope of ever getting back to that type of success.

There are no Young fans of su football. We haven’t been relevant since p left. Program is done.
Bingo. I have a son who has some fleeting interest in SU football but only because I'm trying to keep the flame alive. Hot dogs and M&Ms are enough to get him to buy in now. When he's a bit older forget it, the product on the field isn't going to cut it. This hire was the last chance to resurrect the program.

Who won 10 games his third year. Who built up the roster and was one more win away in any of the last three years from still coaching.

This is not a reset, it’s hiring a guy to find 2 or 3 more wins a year.
Wait - so our roster comes over intact to the new coach? He'll just squeak out a couple more wins next year?

We absolutely have to reset (upgrade and stabilize) the roster - as do teams in our similar situation. Look at the turnover under Dino (not saying it's 100% his fault, but he absolutely did struggle keeping better players on both sides of the ball).

The new person has to be adept at recruiting - which pays dividends long(er) term - and portal, which is for the current season (maybe +1). Dino was pretty good at portal, even after losing players.

I think we're underestimating what it takes to be a college football HC.

A lot of butt hurt here today, I understand a lot of you are disappointed. My only piece of advice to you, is temper your expectations for anything with SU sports whether it’s the coaching search, recruiting or the portal. Wait until pen meets the paper or there is an official announcement. Until then take everything at face value that it could all fall a part. Appreciate everyone’s inside information when they post it. We really do need a premium board.

Let me tell you about a couple of three things: One Dino was not at either stop long enough to build a program. Chesney has been. Two Dino's success came from the O. Dino abandoned that O pretty quickly. Also he never really called plays so how much of the O success was really him anyway? We know the O still works, see Lewis. Chesney's teams have had success in all three phases of the game. Three Dino is a West coast guy. He never was able to make the Northeast connections to get recruits. Chesney already has connections.

The hope with Chesney is he is another Leipold, but younger. It is a risk but really any HC is a risk.
This

Just gonna leave this here.

I am over Mullen, I just really want JW to stick to his stated requirement of high level P-5 experience. That was important and he arrived at that for a reason. He shouldn't abandon it on a wing and a prayer.

Bulldog04 and the rest that shared information, I appreciate all that you did. It didn't work out the way we'd hoped, but such is life. It was a very entertaining weekend at worst. Don't stop sharing because of some haters.

This reminds me of a story...

Once upon a time, there was an old farmer who had worked his crops for many years.

One day his horse ran away. Upon hearing the news, his neighbors came to visit. “Such bad luck,” they said sympathetically, “you must be so sad.”

“We’ll see,” the farmer replied.

The next morning the horse returned, bringing with it two other wild horses.

“How wonderful,” the neighbors exclaimed! “Not only did your horse return, but you received two more. What great fortune you have!”

“We’ll see,” answered the farmer.

The following day, his son tried to ride one of the untamed horses, was thrown, and broke his leg. The neighbors again came to offer their sympathy on his misfortune. “Now your son cannot help you with your farming,” they said. “What terrible luck you have!”

“We’ll see,” replied the old farmer.

The following week, military officials came to the village to conscript young men into the army. Seeing that the son’s leg was broken, they passed him by. The neighbors congratulated the farmer on how well things had turned out. “Such great news. You must be so happy!”

The man smiled to himself and said once again.

“We’ll see,”

Is this a Charlie Wilson’s War reference?

What a patriot, breaking his kid's leg so he couldn't serve his country when they needed him. Absolutely a true story of grit and determination.

JW obviously knows what Syracusefan.com is and he knows what TNIAAM is. There was a lot of smoke. LOTS. How many players, potential transfers, and alums started following Kenny Chesny on twitter since last week? He knows what twitter/X is. He knows who the fanbase is. He can either encourage the rumor mill and wild speculation or put a clamp on something if it is only a pipedream. It takes one tweet (as we've seen).

Worse, he knows what the history of the Syracuse sports programs are: approaching two decades of irrelevance in football and a decade of irrelevance in basketball. There are 50,000 potential paying customers champing at the bit to flood the dome again for successful programs. It's his decision to fire a mediocre coach without a new hire in place and drag the song and dance out over the holiday week. Instead we're likely getting an "up and coming" 46 year old head coach who has never won an FBS game to "not rebuild the program". Not showing JAB the door until he craterd the program and then going with the easiest hire ever. WBB coach? LAX coach? Remember the leaked dome plans? Bowie/Bouie? Lol.

Amateur hour up on the hill and it shows again and again.
Of the available Power 5 job openings, ESPN ranked the Syracuse job at the bottom in terms of Quality of the job! With this kind of job bashing on a National Level, is there any wonder why Syracuse has difficulty signing a "Nationally recognized" outstanding coaching candidate? Is there any wonder why we have difficulty recruiting top talent? The Syracuse Coaching job is a Complex situation that isn't going to be appealing to a lot of candidates who have Options. The Duke job is now open, we are now, in competition with them for a Coach. According to ESPN, the Duke job is better than the Syracuse job. The Syracuse job is a great job.....for the right guy, not every guy...but the right guy for our situation. Let's hope we can get lucky and capture "lightning in a bottle."

You're part of the problem. You have no idea who he knows and who they know. Better for people like you to just be quiet. Now I lose another person who was willing to share because of people who make comments like you. Thanks so much.

My point was there are maybe a half dozen people who would actually know AND be able to share it. Saying that there are a lot of people in the know is flat out false. I was not questioning his information or who he knows, but his statement in that post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom