Dan Mullen | Page 228 | Syracusefan.com

Dan Mullen

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s been real everybody. Appreciate the bashing. Shared info that was shared to me from sources I have and trust. Sorry for anything exciting. Will be sticking to my chat.

noooooo

Come Back Pink Blob GIF

It’s not 1991, but I think most of us wish the administration wanted to get the football program back to that level, and for whatever reason the optics of most of their decisions make it seem like there’s no hope of ever getting back to that type of success.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but regardless of who the AD is it's unlikely SU is ever getting back to that level. The playing field has changed dramatically and SU simply doesn't have the financial benefactors and ability to tap into almost endless state funds that other schools do. Doesn't absolve the University from some of their actions and decisions which have been questionable but the overall dynamics and landscape and dynamics of P5 D1 football have completely changed from how they were in the late 80's to early 2000's.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but regardless of who the AD is it's unlikely SU is ever getting back to that level. The playing field has changed dramatically and SU simply doesn't have the financial benefactors and ability to tap into almost endless state funds that other schools do. Doesn't absolve the University from some of their actions and decisions which have been questionable but the overall dynamics and landscape and dynamics of P5 D1 football have completely changed from how they were in the late 80's to early 2000's.
I agree with you, but it doesn’t make it any less frustrating as a fan, and the administration doesn’t exactly give off the vibe that they care too much. It’s the easy route to just say hey things changed this is where we’re at now and not really try. What they should be doing is trying to figure out how do we get back to that or as close to that as we can get?

I don’t like it. But I’ve come to grips with this

I would be ok with Fran Brown if he’s as good as a recruiter as everyone says he is. There’s usually a direct correlation between recruiting ranking and number of wins.

An undisciplined mess that got ran off the field by any team with marginally more talent?
You could say that, or you could say a group that didn’t have QB that could throw 15 yds , and lost their coach, whom many had a very positive relationship with, rallied against all odds to win 2 out of 3 and get t a bowl. It’s perspective.

I heard the guy from Miami of Ohio was way up the list. Others heard Al, the toledo coach, and many others.
What is interesting is who that Pete never mentioned Dan . Never which I find very interesting and very telling. The fact he didn't mention him always had me second guessing the validity of Dan truly being the next coach.
Two things. Pete is rarely wrong and almost never wrong when it comes to SU.
In retrospect, this may be correct.

He should have his guy 95% done. That's how these things work at well-run organizations. There's a short list, cut it down to three, and the prohibitive favorites. Money gets resolved early on: if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it. SU's AD is a snowball catching on fire. You think it took Texas A&M a month to hire Elko?
Lol, they were about to hire Stoops until their boosters flipped out. Terrible example to use.

So I’m disappointed that it’s not Mullen, but I reached out to a few people on Mullen. My #1 go to source had absolutely no info on Mullen throughout the weekend. Nada.

Some other people I trust, had heard things, but nothing really specific…or some elements that didn’t make sense. It seemed like it could have been a giant game of telephone.

Yet another person who I know has solid source thought very early on that this had no legs. So I was somewhat skeptical, but hopeful.

Maybe the school had kept this really tight? Maybe the sources people are quoting are agent or search firm related?

But I tried to warn people when KBRP212 posted his info, that I would not be so quick to dismiss his info because he’s not a prominent poster.

I’ve been moderating these boards forever, the biggest misconception is that the more you post the better your sources. You have to judge the info, not the poster.

He had more detail is his info than anyone else, but it wasn’t what people wanted to hear.

The absolute worst aspect of all of this is that somehow, the university will get blamed for dropping the ball on a negotiation that I’m not sure ever took place.

Maybe it did, maybe it didn’t, But I have absolutely no solid info to make me believe it ever occurred - not that my sources are the end all be all.

Just trying to provide some reasoned perspective.

Thanks Jake, this should be pinned to the top of the board and required reading for almost every poster here. Also before anyone questions it Jake is as "inside" as it gets.

Not in total disagreement by any sense, however in 2018 we were 2 plays from a 11-1 regular season. We see non football factory schools rise up from time to time and put in a good stretch of years ( The TCU s Cincinnati s..). Very difficult given our geographic location and all factors for sure, but I wouldn’t give up hope.

So I’m disappointed that it’s not Mullen, but I reached out to a few people on Mullen. My #1 go to source had absolutely no info on Mullen throughout the weekend. Nada.

Some other people I trust, had heard things, but nothing really specific…or some elements that didn’t make sense. It seemed like it could have been a giant game of telephone.

Yet another person who I know has solid source thought very early on that this had no legs. So I was somewhat skeptical, but hopeful.

Maybe the school had kept this really tight? Maybe the sources people are quoting are agent or search firm related?

But I tried to warn people when KBRP212 posted his info, that I would not be so quick to dismiss his info because he’s not a prominent poster.

I’ve been moderating these boards forever, the biggest misconception is that the more you post the better your sources. You have to judge the info, not the poster.

He had more detail is his info than anyone else, but it wasn’t what people wanted to hear.

The absolute worst aspect of all of this is that somehow, the university will get blamed for dropping the ball on a negotiation that I’m not sure ever took place.

Maybe it did, maybe it didn’t, But I have absolutely no solid info to make me believe it ever occurred - not that my sources are the end all be all.

Just trying to provide some reasoned perspective.
KBRP212’s story was beyond goofy and his attitude was awful. And all it confirmed, if true, was that Bob Chesney was on campus which we already knew. I highly doubt he finalized paperwork on Thanksgiving day.

And now it looks like it may be Fran Brown…

Disappointing about Mullen but maybe it’s because we already have a Mullin in the athletic department and there can only be one-ish.

The "Syracuse sports universe" tends to be pretty small, and because of that, it appears that a lot of information probably got circulated over and over, from this board to twitter, back to this board, back to twitter, and turns into a huge game of telephone.

Even people that I know that don't follow this board or twitter mentioned varying rumors to me and I tried to track down where their info came from.

NunesMagician posting about the press conference (completely unverified) yesterday was a prime example. They probably lifted it from here.

I've heard from people in the industry (non-SU related) that Chesney and Coen both interviewed, as well as Mullen. But it seems like from the SU side of things, they're as tight as they've ever been with leaks.

If Dan Mullen goes to Duke, it will be another twist of the knife.
This right here^^^
If he goes to Duke or anywhere else, we can assume he decided against the SU job specifically, not that he wasn't getting back to coaching.
And then the question becomes, why?
What are we NOT doing, that's failing to attract the best and brightest players/coaches for this program? Location, weather, blah blah blah are not valid reasons, imo. Something else has to be amiss for us not to be, at the very least, on par w/ our peers.

You could say that, or you could say a group that didn’t have QB that could throw 15 yds , and lost their coach, whom many had a very positive relationship with, rallied against all odds to win 2 out of 3 and get t a bowl. It’s perspective.

"Rallied against all odds?" You mean those odds created by the coach who after EIGHT full years still couldn't construct an adequate P5 level roster, especially at the most critical position in the game? Those odds? And, winning 2 out of 3 games against those putrid teams in Pitt and Wake as the home team, where its "coach" only missed the last one? Okay. Now, that's what I certainly call perspective.

What’s so hard to understand

well the whole chat, i would say. respectfully.

you think you said "stay tuned" and nunes stole that from you?

and what does that mean in hindsight?

again, respectfully "stay tuned" was a random chat that had no actual information in the midst of 229 pages.

meh still a s...show if the hire him

I don't know. I'd be intriqued to hear his pitch. I think I'm more concerned that Temple turned him down a 2nd time after Diaz bolted, but that was 3 or 4 jobs ago now. He worked under Ruhle and Ruhle brought him to Baylor as AHC.

IMO Fran bolted to Georgia (besides money) to further his career. He's trying to climb the ladder. I do have some questions why Schiano didn't name him DC after Rob Smith left though. I guess that's more a concern to me than the Temple thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom