Dan Mullen | Page 229 | Syracusefan.com

Dan Mullen

Status
Not open for further replies.
at least wait until we know how will coach us before reacting this way this
73Ss.gif

The "Syracuse sports universe" tends to be pretty small, and because of that, it appears that a lot of information probably got circulated over and over, from this board to twitter, back to this board, back to twitter, and turns into a huge game of telephone.

Even people that I know that don't follow this board or twitter mentioned varying rumors to me and I tried to track down where their info came from.

NunesMagician posting about the press conference (completely unverified) yesterday was a prime example. They probably lifted it from here.

I've heard from people in the industry (non-SU related) that Chesney and Coen both interviewed, as well as Mullen. But it seems like from the SU side of things, they're as tight as they've ever been with leaks.
Thanks for sharing. See how easy that is folks? No need to jump down the throat of the person providing info. No need to say it's all a rumor or a lie. No need to say Bnoro is trying to get likes. Bnoro provided what he has heard. Thats it. He is providing a couple data points. You can choose to accept or disregard.

I don't know. I'd be intriqued to hear his pitch. I think I'm more concerned that Temple turned him down a 2nd time after Diaz bolted, but that was 3 or 4 jobs ago now. He worked under Ruhle and Ruhle brought him to Baylor as AHC.

IMO Fran bolted to Georgia (besides money) to further his career. He's trying to climb the ladder. I do have some questions why Schiano didn't name him DC after Rob Smith left though. I guess that's more a concern to me than the Temple thing.
It might turn out to be a great hire but I think the optics would just scream we hired an "unknown" to save a buck

I agree with you, but it doesn’t make it any less frustrating as a fan, and the administration doesn’t exactly give off the vibe that they care too much. It’s the easy route to just say hey things changed this is where we’re at now and not really try. What they should be doing is trying to figure out how do we get back to that or as close to that as we can get?

I think Wildhack is doing that but there's a lot of moving parts here. SU isn't like Bama or A&M or even Clemson who doesn't care if any other sport wins as long as the fball program is in the top 10. SU can't pull every fund from bball and lax to prop up the fball program and leave every other program destitute.

Moving on from Babers with bowl eligibility on the line tells you they want more out of the program but with NIL, conference funds, realignment etc your dealing with a lot of moving parts and in most cases SU isn't exactly at the top of the heap. Indiana of all teams is firing a HC and paying out 15 mill to do so, were in the bizarro world. Mullen would have been a great hire but he has to want to be here and it has to work out financially for all sides.

There are so many assumptions in this thread. While fun, we need to be careful to not let assumptions be confused with fact.

In 200+ pages, have people even brought up his recruiting violations, which while not serious, would 100% be a concern to the administration & search firm.

If this is an issue big enough for us to pass on a coach then we should just fold the FB program.
We’re talking about Florida Gators a program where the alumni and boosters may have more say than the HC

Fran Brown is a legendary recruiter long before he ended up at Georgia. I wouldn't be doing backflips if he was hired but you clearly don't know his background or history.
I know what I read in his UGA bio and it isn't legendary.

The only real info was that there was a discussion with him and the administration. I don't recall seeing any insiders saying his hiring was imminnent but maybe I missed it.
I can definitely validate this portion of the rumor as I talked to the person who recommended Wildhack reach out to Mullen and may have also spoken directly with Mullen (not sure about that part). Said person wanted the talks to begin before we played G. Tech. Or at that game. Person has a certain amount of pull with SU football and with the BOT. I am guessing either Mullen really does not want to get back into coaching or we just can't afford him and to build the program to what it needs at the same time. In all fairness there is a line that makes it all work out, and not necessarily that the BOT does not want to spend a certain amount of money.

I think Wildhack is doing that but there's a lot of moving parts here. SU isn't like Bama or A&M or even Clemson who doesn't care if any other sport wins as long as the fball program is in the top 10. SU can't pull every fund from bball and lax to prop up the fball program and leave every other program destitute.

Moving on from Babers with bowl eligibility on the line tells you they want more out of the program but with NIL, conference funds, realignment etc your dealing with a lot of moving parts and in most cases SU isn't exactly at the top of the heap. Indiana of all teams is firing a HC and paying out 15 mill to do so, were in the bizarro world. Mullen would have been a great hire but he has to want to be here and it has to work out financially for all sides.
I agree, Gate was probably the correct choice for the men’s game. He was always the heir apparent.

But they went cheap on Red. I understand there was more involved. But they didn’t interview or open it up to any other candidates. Saved a LOT of money by hiring Red.

Now, football. To be determined. But college football is where money is made. Conference landscape is uncertain. This could be our last attempt to get back in the race for expansion. Another flop and no telling what happens in our future.

I agree, Gate was probably the correct choice for the men’s game. He was always the heir apparent.

But they went cheap on Red. I understand there was more involved. But they didn’t interview or open it up to any other candidates. Saved a LOT of money by hiring Red.

Now, football. To be determined. But college football is where money is made. Conference landscape is uncertain. This could be our last attempt to get back in the race for expansion. Another flop and no telling what happens in our future.

The Red hire had as you noted "a lot more involved". There's a reason it never opened up nationally and it had nothing to do with $$$. I think you can read between the lines.

Football hire here is enormous, we need to get it right or close to right.

"Rallied against all odds?" You mean those odds created by the coach who after EIGHT full years still couldn't construct an adequate P5 level roster, especially at the most critical position in the game? Those odds? And, winning 2 out of 3 games against those putrid teams in Pitt and Wake as the home team, where its "coach" only missed the last one? Okay. Now, that's what I certainly call perspective.
Yep that’s what I would call it, you wouldn’t have found one regular poster that thought we would get to a bowl after Va Tech including me. So yea I’ll stand behind the statement.

This was my list before I found out I lost my wife's dreams to Sam Elliot and then lost Dan Mullen :(

Chadwell
Chesney
Helton (WKU)
Lewis (I know he is not a popular choice)

At this point, I don't know what to do with myself lol

Also if any of you wonderful insiders want to share any information feel free to DM me and pacusewife, I know the boards are quickly becoming toxic to you folks. Just wanted to say we love the info you are willing to pass on and truly appreciate you!

Listen, we may have lost Mullen, but we gained so many Sam Elliott gifs in the process, that is still a win in my book.

To everyone else, if you're posting on an internet message board about Syracuse sports, in general, you already have issues. I admit it. I do. I've been posting on this board for over 20 years. Coaching searches are crazy town. But so is arguing about the 2-3 zone for decades upon decades with people you may only know by a handle and a profile pic of Carmelo Anthony in a big old winter hat!

We're all on a spinning rock in the vast expanse of space hoping for a legit 9-win regular season where we get to say things like "we could take Bama if we had them on a neutral field".

As the saying goes, "don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out of it alive".

Anyway, I'll convince myself we'll go undefeated even if our next HC is Henry Winkler.

This thread is both the best and the worst of who we are as a fan community. Thanks to all of you for making this place a reality. It truly is a dynamic creature. Most of what I know about Syracuse Football & Basketball I have learned here. I haven't lived in CNY since 1988 and for many years I sought for information on SU sports without much success. One day I found some things that Dan Johnson posted and I've been here every since. Most of what I know isn't from individual experience, rather by sharing in what all of you know or think.

The people that post here are a cross-section of our Syracuse fan community. There are many insiders that post here, but also a large number of very accomplished individuals who care about SU sports. If I could ask one thing it would be not to berate each other for sharing things that you hear or for opinions you offer. In that light, Bulldog, please don't stop posting here. You're part of the fabric that makes up an amazing site.

I appreciate the admins, insiders, boosters, and generally knowledgeable people that post what they know or think. My life would be less full without you. I have to say I have no idea who would make the best choice for head coach. I've read a lot about all of the candidates but the chemistry that defines a winner is as much magic to me as logical. I just want to win. I have had season tickets for a good while and am debating whether to continue. I haven't been able to get to many games except when in CNY in the fall. I'm currently in Colorado which makes it tricky. I didn't get to any games this year but this site has kept me close.

Treasure each other while you can. We have more in common than we are different. I get the anger over missing out on a candidate that brought so much hope, but it's not the fault of anyone here. If you don't like roller-coasters, sports fandom may not be your best option. Best wishes to all of us as we move forward...

It’s been real everybody. Appreciate the bashing. Shared info that was shared to me from sources I have and trust. Sorry for anything exciting. Will be sticking to my chat.
Can you please add me to your chat ?

If this is an issue big enough for us to pass on a coach then we should just fold the FB program.
We’re talking about Florida Gators a program where the alumni and boosters may have more say than the HC
Somewhat agree, if this theory is even true.

Mullen's past transgressions seem pretty minor.

This thread is both the best and the worst of who we are as a fan community. Thanks to all of you for making this place a reality. It truly is a dynamic creature. Most of what I know about Syracuse Football & Basketball I have learned here. I haven't lived in CNY since 1988 and for many years I sought for information on SU sports without much success. One day I found some things that Dan Johnson posted and I've been here every since. Most of what I know isn't from individual experience, rather by sharing in what all of you know or think. DONT CARE

The people that post here are a cross-section of our Syracuse fan community. There are many insiders that post here, but also a large number of very accomplished individuals who care about SU sports. If I could ask one thing it would be not to berate each other for sharing things that you hear or for opinions you offer. In that light, Bulldog, please don't stop posting here. You're part of the fabric that makes up an amazing site. DONT CARE

I appreciate the admins, insiders, boosters, and generally knowledgeable people that post what they know or think. My life would be less full without you. I have to say I have no idea who would make the best choice for head coach. I've read a lot about all of the candidates but the chemistry that defines a winner is as much magic to me as logical. I just want to win. I have had season tickets for a good while and am debating whether to continue. I haven't been able to get to many games except when in CNY in the fall. I'm currently in Colorado which makes it tricky. I didn't get to any games this year but this site has kept me close. DONT CARE

Treasure each other while you can. We have more in common than we are different. I get the anger over missing out on a candidate that brought so much hope, but it's not the fault of anyone here. If you don't like roller-coasters, sports fandom may not be your best option. Best wishes to all of us as we move forward...DONT CARE
HIRE MULLEN

This thread is both the best and the worst of who we are as a fan community. Thanks to all of you for making this place a reality. It truly is a dynamic creature. Most of what I know about Syracuse Football & Basketball I have learned here. I haven't lived in CNY since 1988 and for many years I sought for information on SU sports without much success. One day I found some things that Dan Johnson posted and I've been here every since. Most of what I know isn't from individual experience, rather by sharing in what all of you know or think.

The people that post here are a cross-section of our Syracuse fan community. There are many insiders that post here, but also a large number of very accomplished individuals who care about SU sports. If I could ask one thing it would be not to berate each other for sharing things that you hear or for opinions you offer. In that light, Bulldog, please don't stop posting here. You're part of the fabric that makes up an amazing site.

I appreciate the admins, insiders, boosters, and generally knowledgeable people that post what they know or think. My life would be less full without you. I have to say I have no idea who would make the best choice for head coach. I've read a lot about all of the candidates but the chemistry that defines a winner is as much magic to me as logical. I just want to win. I have had season tickets for a good while and am debating whether to continue. I haven't been able to get to many games except when in CNY in the fall. I'm currently in Colorado which makes it tricky. I didn't get to any games this year but this site has kept me close.

Treasure each other while you can. We have more in common than we are different. I get the anger over missing out on a candidate that brought so much hope, but it's not the fault of anyone here. If you don't like roller-coasters, sports fandom may not be your best option. Best wishes to all of us as we move forward...
Great post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors