Darius Bazley - Players Tribune | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Darius Bazley - Players Tribune

I think Moses Malone was the first tbh.

I selfishly hope Bazley makes it because if this is seen as a successful path it’s going to get kids out of college who have no interest in being there. And that in the long run will be good for college ball.

Moses was, but Bazley isn't the first either. There was a lower rated recruit who wasn't eligible who went there and still got drafted in the second round

Come on. You’ve been here long enough and read enough posts on this subject to know that many people honestly think this.

I know. I should know better but it still shocks me.

Moses was, but Bazley isn't the first either. There was a lower rated recruit who wasn't eligible who went there and still got drafted in the second round

Yeah. I couldn’t remember if that was by choice or if he simply wouldn’t have been eligible.

Why did Mali and Lydon leave? Why is Battle going to leave?

They could be here playing in front of 30k. They chose pro ball instead. So did Bazley.
They experienced it already and even if their careers don't pan out will still pocket a couple million.

They experienced it already and even if their careers don't pan out will still pocket a couple million.

So obviously the experience wasn't worth sticking around and being able to work on their craft more. Right?

1. Yes, the timing is disappointing the day after burger game, but let's look at it from his POV. He is embroiled in chasing high school title dreams in the latter part of his senior season. Mom and coach bring up professional idea. He dismisses it. Has playoff games and McD's on the horizon.
A couple weeks pass and they bring up G-League by name. Idea has been bumping around his skull all the while. Now it's really late in the season and he still has these pending commitments., but is intrigued.
Enter a bag man...POSSIBLY. Now there is more incentive. Maybe even Adam Silver or other NBA person gives him a wink-wink just do it kid, we got your back and won't let you be a martyr. Now it's like a week before the McDonalds game. Do you really expect him to pull the plug on SU now? No. Stay the course, enjoy the trip and game and then announce.

2. Why didn't he tell/ask/discuss the idea with JB months or weeks in advance if indeed he had decided that early? WHY WOULD HE?
Rule #1 - protect your own interests first at all costs. Your employer won't. If you accepted a new job, gave notice, and then got a new offer would you really ask your new boss-to-be what they thought and what you should before you even started working there? No, you would not.

This altruistic notion that he should have told the coaches weeks ago is simply the misplaced butthurt disappointment of fans. It sucks he is not coming because I think he truly would have opened up the offense for the whole team, but it is what it is.

I’m thinking not this.

So obviously the experience wasn't worth sticking around and being able to work on their craft more. Right?
We can all debate whether our guys left to early until the cows come home but at least they got somewhat of an experience and a better chance to make millions of dollars.

We can all debate whether our guys left to early until the cows come home but at least they got somewhat of an experience and a better chance to make millions of dollars.

Why is it a better chance? You don’t know that.

Why is it a better chance? You don’t know that.
Its not even close what the better path to the NBA is. There is a reason why 99.999 pct of these kids are going to college.

He does seem like a thoughtful kid. While I don't think this is the best path for him to reach his goal, I will be rooting for him and I wish him great success.

I apologize but this kid didn’t give a crap about anybody but himself in a way I’m glad he isn’t coming because it tells me something about the type of person he is. Trying to rationalize his decision I’ll never agree with his decision. He should of told the staff two months ago or just decommitted.

I think Moses Malone was the first tbh.
Actually Moses was the first in the ABA in 1974.
The next year the NBA Atlanta Hawks drafted Bill Willoughby from Englewood, NJ right out of high school.
He kicked around the league for a few unspectacular seasons.
Willoughby was 6-8 ...great athlete with tremendous vertical leap.
His biggest claim to fame was once blocking a Jabbar skyhook.

The next year the NBA Atlanta Hawks drafted Bill Willoughby from Englewood, NJ right out of high school.

Hahaha that was a pretty sweet clip.

Funny how mentions 26K as a lot of money. If having pocket money is all you need then the stipend from SU would have been plenty.

It actually has me wondering what the take home value on 26K in the G-League vs an SU stipend is. The 26K is surely taxed and does any of that go to an agent? Does the employer deduct for insurance, union dues, etc.? Will he have to pay for housing, food, healthcare, etc.?

Darryl Dawkins was also drafted out of high school in 1975 (5th overall pick by 76ers) and was selected before Willoughby.

We don’t know how much money Bazley got from an agent. Let’s say it’s 200k. If he slips in the draft next year, from lottery to outside the lottery, he’ll have made a mistake. We’ll see.

You really can't say that though. He is what the number 10 recruit this year. How does that guarantee him a spot in the draft lottery next year if he had gone to college. It doesn't. He may have come to Cuse been a 14 point 7 rebound guy and been part of a final four run. That would probably be considered a very successful college season, but it doesn't mean he'd be drafted in the lottery.

Funny how mentions 26K as a lot of money. If having pocket money is all you need then the stipend from SU would have been plenty.

It actually has me wondering what the take home value on 26K in the G-League vs an SU stipend is. The 26K is surely taxed and does any of that go to an agent? Does the employer deduct for insurance, union dues, etc.? Will he have to pay for housing, food, healthcare, etc.?
I make more than 26k and I don't make more than anyone. He is in for a rude awakening.

You really can't say that though. He is what the number 10 recruit this year. How does that guarantee him a spot in the draft lottery next year if he had gone to college. It doesn't. He may have come to Cuse been a 14 point 7 rebound guy and been part of a final four run. That would probably be considered a very successful college season, but it doesn't mean he'd be drafted in the lottery.
He was a projected top 10 pick going in if he just put up decent numbers he'd be a lock lottery pick.

The hilarious part is people think darius wrote this. I wonder why every athlete sounds so articulate on the players tribune... this kid is using the pr machine to promote himself. From annointing himself a trailblazer to announcing right after the mcds game, its 100% about darius. He will never bleed orange and its doubtful he cares about cuse even 1%. I dont wish the kid either ill will but im not going to pretend hes a syracuse guy either.

That being said, i give him credit for the self promotion. Not a dumb move.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with this article.

He has an excuse next year if he sucks. If he sucked for us he might not be able to enter the draft. McCullough sucked in relation to the expectations and the only reason he got drafted 1st round was because he got hurt and couldn't disappoint more. If he shows up next November and he isn't as good as OShae and is the inferior player he has no shot to get picked 1st round. I think hes worried of getting exposed and just wants to spend a year in the G league as the first guy to do it hoping that impresses teams and leads them to take a chance.

Respectfully disagree here. This kid is a lottery pick no matter what. Can tell that from watching his tape.

And maybe he just found an alternative.

The argument isnt whether he found an alternative route. The argument is whether he is better positioned draft wise and nba future going to college or g league. Im not sure anyone can answer that question definitively.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom