Day Five Fall Football Practice: Wednesday 8/10/16 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Day Five Fall Football Practice: Wednesday 8/10/16

Stephen Bailey ‏@Stephen_Bailey1
Have some defensive end notes and stories coming after speaking with Jake Pickard and Hernz Laguerrs.

Syracuse's defensive end rep distribution changes on a daily basis based on performance. Freshman Kendall Coleman earned a bunch today.

Syracuse rSo. DT Chris Slayton is also spending time at DE. That's probably the most interesting development.

Teammates all spoke highly of Colorado grad transfer DE De'Jon Wilson. Brings size, strength and experience. Will have to work his way up.

Syracuse DE Jake Pickard raves about S&C coach Sean Edinger. Lifting #s up, but players also healthier. Lots of shoulder injuries last year.

Syracuse DE Jake Pickard said he "wants to make a name" for himself in the ACC. Emphasized team goals first, though.

Last edited:
I love the option of getting some more size along the line when we need it.
Agree. I mean, he has NFL size at DE. Love to see this guy blossom in that role .. he could be an absolute house wrecker.

Slayton at DE? Wow
Yep, for real. Love this move. Unfortunately, if he performs (well) as I expect, he'll get doubled. We'll need someone on the other side or a blitzing scheme to take advantage of this.

Yep, for real. Love this move. Unfortunately, if he performs (well) as I expect, he'll get doubled. We'll need someone on the other side or a blitzing scheme to take advantage of this.
Of the 2014 recruits, I was far and away most excited about him. Really thought this kid could be the next Jones brother if he hones in on that killer instinct.

reedny said:

A nice thought: if they feel good about this move, that means they like the depth with the inside guys.

A nice thought: if they feel good about this move, that means they like the depth with the inside guys.
I wonder if they move him back and forth similar to John Randle for the Vikings back in the day.

As a matter of fact, I'd be willing to bet that the starting front four will be Slayton and Pickard at DE, with Kayton at NT and Steven at 3 tech.

Some big boys, that's a great line wow. Young, big and quick.

As a matter of fact, I'd be willing to bet that the starting front four will be Slayton and Pickard at DE, with Kayton at NT and Steven at 3 tech.
Whole game at 300 pounds Bcubs? . A 5 tech DE maybe. I just think there's way too much running and changing directions for him to do. I do think its smart to put him there at times against teams with TE sets. He will be really good at stunting inside when he doesn't have D gap responsibility. Learning both positions is good. Nice to have that option particularly when teams are beating up on our young DE's. It's a smart move by the staff.

Whole game at 300 pounds Bcubs? . A 5 tech DE maybe. I just think there's way too much running and changing directions for him to do. I do think its smart to put him there at times against teams with TE sets. He will be really good at stunting inside when he doesn't have D gap responsibility. Learning both positions is good. Nice to have that option particularly when teams are beating up on our young DE's. It's a smart move by the staff.
Maybe so. I do think Chris has that ability, though, to play quite a bit at DE. For that matter, Steven could probably pull some duty at DE. More confident in his abilities at NT and 3 Tech, though.