DB Ja'Had Carter / Portal from Ohio State to NC State | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

DB Ja'Had Carter / Portal from Ohio State to NC State

I think you have made it clear why I find all of this such a turn off.

I really believed in the idea of the student-athlete. It always seemed to me to be a great trade-off. You play big time football or basketball and in return you get a free college education.

Who amongst us would turn that down?

I wouldn't.

In the old days, I wanted to attract kids because of what Syracuse University had to offer - how the school - and the coaches - could impact a life.

I never wanted my college football team to become a professional franchise and I didn't want the players on my team to become free agents on a year-to-year basis, "exploring their options."

I never wanted to compare playing college football to me looking for a better job.

I find the backroom financial negotiations that must be occurring really uncomfortable.

Who knows? Maybe underneath it all, I'm a hypocrite.

Maybe I'd be okay with all of this if I felt that my school could compete in the new world.

I hope that's not true. I hope that I would find the new paradigm unappealing even if SU were benefitting from it.

Right now it doesn't seem that we are benefitting at all. Just the opposite seems to be true.

Indeed, I seriously doubt that Syracuse University will be able to compete in this environment.

And that tells me that our great football tradition that has existed for generations, will die.

And, that upsets me.

So, yeah, the kids get to explore their options, and in the process ruin college football for most schools - other than the factories in the SEC and the Big Ten.
Great post, the south and much of the big ten had long ago gone mad with there obsession to be the best that it fogged there sight from what makes college football so great.

Direct your anger at the people who could have done the right thing; a thoughtful and smart NIL with rules and enforcement, and/or shared revenue was actively fought for years upon years while the people at the top lined their pockets.

Everyone around these kids thought of it as a business while telling them they shouldn’t. Fans don’t want to see it since they are the ones funding the business with eyeballs and time and money.

I mean Carter is good, but I don't see a big SEC or B10 program picking him up. I also don't see Tony White bringing players with him to Nebraska as the right thing not to do to Dino and the school that tried to keep you. Going to be interesting where he goes, but I bet it will be a surprise. I'm going to say VT.

I mean Carter is good, but I don't see a big SEC or B10 program picking him up. I also don't see Tony White bringing players with him to Nebraska as the right thing not to do to Dino and the school that tried to keep you. Going to be interesting where he goes, but I bet it will be a surprise. I'm going to say VT.
Why on earth would he go to VT? Makes zero sense.

It's a bit interesting that a number of portal players are keeping things silent in terms of team offers or directions they are going. To my knowledge Carter, Duce and Rooks are all three keeping their information in the family. Considering most teens operate on social media that's interesting to me. Is it testing waters? Reviewing deals? Taking time evaluating schools? It will be interesting to see if any sign on the 21st.

It's a bit interesting that a number of portal players are keeping things silent in terms of team offers or directions they are going. To my knowledge Carter, Duce and Rooks are all three keeping their information in the family. Considering most teens operate on social media that's interesting to me. Is it testing waters? Reviewing deals? Taking time evaluating schools? It will be interesting to see if any sign on the 21st.

Kids in the portal don't sign new NLI's.

The can transfer anytime they like, just as long as they can go through the admissions process at their new school.

I think you have made it clear why I find all of this such a turn off.

I really believed in the idea of the student-athlete. It always seemed to me to be a great trade-off. You play big time football or basketball and in return you get a free college education.

Who amongst us would turn that down?

I wouldn't.

In the old days, I wanted to attract kids because of what Syracuse University had to offer - how the school - and the coaches - could impact a life.

I never wanted my college football team to become a professional franchise and I didn't want the players on my team to become free agents on a year-to-year basis, "exploring their options."

I never wanted to compare playing college football to me looking for a better job.

I find the backroom financial negotiations that must be occurring really uncomfortable.

Who knows? Maybe underneath it all, I'm a hypocrite.

Maybe I'd be okay with all of this if I felt that my school could compete in the new world.

I hope that's not true. I hope that I would find the new paradigm unappealing even if SU were benefitting from it.

Right now it doesn't seem that we are benefitting at all. Just the opposite seems to be true.

Indeed, I seriously doubt that Syracuse University will be able to compete in this environment.

And that tells me that our great football tradition that has existed for generations, will die.

And, that upsets me.

So, yeah, the kids get to explore their options, and in the process ruin college football for most schools - other than the factories in the SEC and the Big Ten.

First, student-athlete was a made up term to avoid having to pay workers' compensation in the 50s. Let's reset the understanding of that term. It's been twisted as a faux-altruistic term that gets used in marketing and not in practice.

Second, these players have been treated like pro athletes or semi-pro athletes forever. Use of their likeness, having agents illegally tampering with them, payments to them and other benefits. You think SU players weren't dealing with this in some capacity?

What *you* want or would do is not the same as what these athletes want or would do. It's not apples to apples. It's apples to plastic fruit.

I can say this, if you were cool with SU football in the late 90s and early 00s, I'm telling you if you thought these guys weren't dealing with this stuff in some capacity, you aren't right. And you were still rooting for the team. As was I. I'm not saying anything was bad. I'm not saying that at all. But I'm telling you what these dudes deal with is not just playing ball for cuse and enjoying all the benefits of being the BMOC.

I get it, I do. I would love for these guys to stick around til they can enter the draft or graduate, but that's just not fair nor has it been some garden of eden prior.

Also, I wholeheartedly disagree that Cuse can't compete as a second tier school.

Kids in the portal don't sign new NLI's.

The can transfer anytime they like, just as long as they can go through the admissions process at their new school.
2A794BF3-4D8B-4614-9AC5-421F4B15DB62.gif

First, student-athlete was a made up term to avoid having to pay workers' compensation in the 50s. Let's reset the understanding of that term. It's been twisted as a faux-altruistic term that gets used in marketing and not in practice.

Second, these players have been treated like pro athletes or semi-pro athletes forever. Use of their likeness, having agents illegally tampering with them, payments to them and other benefits. You think SU players weren't dealing with this in some capacity?

What *you* want or would do is not the same as what these athletes want or would do. It's not apples to apples. It's apples to plastic fruit.

I can say this, if you were cool with SU football in the late 90s and early 00s, I'm telling you if you thought these guys weren't dealing with this stuff in some capacity, you aren't right. And you were still rooting for the team. As was I. I'm not saying anything was bad. I'm not saying that at all. But I'm telling you what these dudes deal with is not just playing ball for cuse and enjoying all the benefits of being the BMOC.

I get it, I do. I would love for these guys to stick around til they can enter the draft or graduate, but that's just not fair nor has it been some garden of eden prior.

Also, I wholeheartedly disagree that Cuse can't compete as a second tier school.
The notion that concept of "student-athlete" was concocted as a workers' compensation defense in the 1950s is not accurate.

The fact is that the traditional model - play for free college, room and board - is perfectly fair and equitable.

Were players given cash and free meals and other benefits in the 1970s, 80s into this century? Of course they were.

Do I have a problem with players being given money for jersey sales? I do not - even though I have little doubt that the name on the back of the jersey - as opposed to the colors/scheme/tradition of the jersey does not truly drive sales.

What we have now is utter instability with furtive financial dealing that smacks of sleaze.

Athletes will play within the parameters established.

Would I accept BS sponsorship deals if they were made available to me in today's world?

I probably would because it is the new paradigm.

But, I still find it unappealing. I think it moves way, way beyond what college athletics should entail.

I hope you're right that SU can compete in this environment. How much am going to have pitch in to pay Garrett Shrader??

I don't know -- Carter generated a lot of turnovers, he's a multi-year starter [intermittently]. I could see him getting SEC / B1G offers. Also important to note that there are tiers within those conferences -- so while he might not get a Georgia / Alabama offer, he could still land at one of the second tier programs.

He's originally from the DMV, right? So I could see him going to Maryland [not saying he will -- just for example], which would be B1G.

Duce is another proven commodity, so I have similar expectations. BUT I'm expecting him to flip to Miami, who tried to throw him money last year.

I don't know -- Carter generated a lot of turnovers, he's a multi-year starter [intermittently]. I could see him getting SEC / B1G offers. Also important to note that there are tiers within those conferences -- so while he might not get a Georgia / Alabama offer, he could still land at one of the second tier programs.

He's originally from the DMV, right? So I could see him going to Maryland [not saying he will -- just for example], which would be B1G.

Duce is another proven commodity, so I have similar expectations. BUT I'm expecting him to flip to Miami, who tried to throw him money last year.
So you're saying that THE Ohio State University and Rutgers aren't the same?!

The notion that concept of "student-athlete" was concocted as a workers' compensation defense in the 1950s is not accurate.

The fact is that the traditional model - play for free college, room and board - is perfectly fair and equitable.

Were players given cash and free meals and other benefits in the 1970s, 80s into this century? Of course they were.

Do I have a problem with players being given money for jersey sales? I do not - even though I have little doubt that the name on the back of the jersey - as opposed to the colors/scheme/tradition of the jersey does not truly drive sales.

What we have now is utter instability with furtive financial dealing that smacks of sleaze.

Would I accept BS sponsorship deals if they were made available to me in today's world?

But, I still find it unappealing. I think it moves way, way beyond what college athletics should entail.

I hope you're right that SU can compete in this environment. How much am going to have pitch in to pay Garrett Shrader??
I will never understand why people are so incapable of recognizing that just because something was a certain way before doesn’t mean it was right or “should” be that way. Just because a system benefitted fans previously (more equitable distribution of talent) doesn’t mean players should have to forgo their market value in the name of nostalgia.

I really would like to see him and Duce back as they are both good players who still have to finish writing their story here...so hopefully things turn around for both of them like it did for Jeremiah Wilson.

Didn't Walter Byers say in his book the term "student athlete" was invented to help the NCAA avoid paying workers comp?

Didn't Walter Byers say in his book the term "student athlete" was invented to help the NCAA avoid paying workers comp?

Yes. The wife of a player brought suit because her husband died after taking a hit to the head in a game.

Your first sentence is an incorrect fact, that's not an opinion
Your second sentence is not a fact, it's an opinion.

No issues with differing opinions, but we should all be using the same facts.

The only way one can legitimately make this statement is if they haven't been paying attention to anything related to college athletics, particularly among revenue sports, in nearly half a century.

Thanks for explaining why we shouldn't be allowed to have nice things. :(
Next thing, you're going to debunk my belief in Santa Claus!

Thanks for explaining why we shouldn't be allowed to have nice things. :(
Next thing, you're going to debunk my belief in Santa Claus!

We have a better shot for nice things now.

Two four star QBs in our QB room. Trying to hold onto a third fourth star commit. Portal guys from big time programs that can step in and be impact players.

As to the Bowls why not play them in late March and early April? That gives fans 3-4 months to make travel plans vs finding a last min flight. Or in our case Yankee Stadium in late March vs late December.

Teams can have their Spring practice leading up to their Bowl game. Teams that don't qualify for a Bowl are stuck having only a Spring game. Big time programs can still play a Spring game if they want (likely 2 weeks prior to the Bowl). These Bowl games don't count toward the upcoming season's record. Kids won't opt out. Give more practices for teams making a Bowl to prep and make up for the practices lost in December.

You can work around the NCAAT. For example last season you could have Bowls March 21-23 and March 28th to April 1st. Then April 5th on.

Since it is in the Spring you could technically also have the prior season's SRs play, incoming transfers, and the early on campus Frosh.

We have a better shot for nice things now.

Two four star QBs in our QB room. Trying to hold onto a third fourth star commit. Portal guys from big time programs that can step in and be impact players.
By good things, I was actually referring to the joy of college football players playing for the glory of the alma mater instead of a paycheck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom