DB Ja'Had Carter / Portal from Ohio State to NC State | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

DB Ja'Had Carter / Portal from Ohio State to NC State

Agreed. Timing is bad on two fronts.

First, having the portal window before bowl games is counterproductive.

But on the other hand, players who want to move on need to identify their next landing spot and get there by January.

I don't think those two opposing challenges can be reconciled.

I wonder if NIL deals can have language about a bowl game. Have to play in it or lose a % of the $. If students are in fact normal paid employees I wonder if this works legally.

It gives us more practices and essentially a solid early scrimmage game. I'm all for them.

Oh, I'm not against us participating in a bowl.

I was talking about finding common ground that accommodates both teams not having massive attrition before bowls and kids who want to test the waters via the portal needing enough time to make a switch.

In other words, shifting the portal window back a few weeks to prevent this level of pre-bowl attrition probably isn't feasible.

Bowl games don't work in the portal era. At what point to they say to hell with this?
When the sponsors back out, until then...we'll see the Weedeater Bowl on ESPN 8 and like it.

Oh, I'm not against us participating in a bowl.

I was talking about finding common ground that accommodates both teams not having massive attrition before bowls and kids who want to test the waters via the portal needing enough time to make a switch.

In other words, shifting the portal window back a few weeks to prevent this level of pre-bowl attrition probably isn't feasible.

Would love it, just don't think kids that are jumping would risk injury.

Dunno, tough nut to crack. I still enjoy the bowls even with the guys leaving. Personally, I wish we could look at it as a chance to highlight next year's guys and calibrate these as sort of 2023-24 preview games. I'm all for seeing how RB2 will look like as RB1, etc.

Why call it preseason? It’d be equivalent to the current “chic fila kickoff” and other opening week games in Dallas, etc.

So those teams get an extra game over the teams that didn't qualify? Seems that would create an imbalance with some teams playing 13 games and some teams playing 12.

But post season vs early season.
It’d be the equivalent of the basketball early season matchups. Maui, Bahamas, nyc, air craft carriers, etc. there’s no perfect schedule balance in college basketball. And again, players getting paid per game have an advantage if they know there’s an extra one coming.

That is already how it works.

Say this format was in effect next year. For SU to make the playoff. They would kick off the season with a bowl game. Then play their 12-game regular season schedule. Then likely have to play a Conference championship game. That's 14 games before even playing the playoff.

A team that made the playoff the previous season or didn't qualify for a bowl at all would only have to play their 12-game regular season schedule plus a championship game. That would be my concern.

Honestly if you're not in the playoffs you might as well get the guys that are going to be here next year some gametime.
Have everybody have a post season game. Have your 12 team playoff. Remaining top 40 teams have a drawing starting with #13 picking until you have 14 games. Random, you could have 13 pick 14 and then 15 would get the next pick. Those are the bowl games.

After that the remaining 41-130 get sorted somehow and the higher ranked team hosts a game between the end of the season and start of the playoffs. Gives TV more content, teams more practices.

It’d be the equivalent of the basketball early season matchups. Maui, Bahamas, nyc, air craft carriers, etc. there’s no perfect schedule balance in college basketball. And again, players getting paid per game have an advantage if they know there’s an extra one coming.
Eh, different sports, a few losses in basketball carry a lot less weight than football. Seems like you would just be trading one set of problems for another. Who needs a trip to Florida or some other warm weather local in August as opposed to December.

If a bowl game is essentially the first game of the next season and players in the portal won't play in it, maybe players who have decided where to transfer should be able to play in the bowl games. Maybe Braylen Ingraham and Jaeden Gould could play for us vs. Minnesota?

Have everybody have a post season game. Have your 12 team playoff. Remaining top 40 teams have a drawing starting with #13 picking until you have 14 games. Random, you could have 13 pick 14 and then 15 would get the next pick. Those are the bowl games.

After that the remaining 41-130 get sorted somehow and the higher ranked team hosts a game between the end of the season and start of the playoffs. Gives TV more content, teams more practices.

There would actually be a Ty-D-bowl game to determine the worst team in the country. I'll bet it would get big ratings, much more than the #127-128 game. I'd watch.

Would love it, just don't think kids that are jumping would risk injury.

Dunno, tough nut to crack. I still enjoy the bowls even with the guys leaving. Personally, I wish we could look at it as a chance to highlight next year's guys and calibrate these as sort of 2023-24 preview games. I'm all for seeing how RB2 will look like as RB1, etc.
That's exactly how I look at it if players opt out- a preview of next year. Don't get me wrong, I'd still rather watch all the players, but I'll look at it that way if I can't.

Heck I'm sitting here watching Miami OH- UAB on my lunch break and I can't imagine I'm alone.

That’s what I keep saying. This model isn’t going to work for advertisers and companies putting $ into bowl games. You can’t have bowl games, especially in the playoffs with watered down teams and expect viewership to not take a hit at some point.

If I’m Pepsi, why am I paying this much for less product than I originally expected. It’s a conversation I think some companies might have.
I don't think it matters too much. I turn on terrible bowls with average players i've never heard of. it's just guys in weird clothes hurting each other while we sit around avoiding our families

That's exactly how I look at it if players opt out- a preview of next year. Don't get me wrong, I'd still rather watch all the players, but I'll look at it that way if I can't.

Heck I'm sitting here watching Miami OH- UAB on my lunch break and I can't imagine I'm alone.

Yep, use it to get ready for next season. All the young kids can get live snaps who won’t burn the redshirt.

I wonder if NIL deals can have language about a bowl game. Have to play in it or lose a % of the $. If students are in fact normal paid employees I wonder if this works legally.
Nah, that means it's pay to play, not NIL.

That’s what I keep saying. This model isn’t going to work for advertisers and companies putting $ into bowl games. You can’t have bowl games, especially in the playoffs with watered down teams and expect viewership to not take a hit at some point.

If I’m Pepsi, why am I paying this much for less product than I originally expected. It’s a conversation I think some companies might have.
Are the ratings even down for bowl games though?

Are the ratings even down for bowl games though?
Looks like they were overall up last year.

These guys must have a few offers out there they are evaluating. I'm waiting to see where they pick so I know how irrational I should be with my opinion. Its going to be pretty irrational if they pick an ACC school. If any pick FSU...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom