DB Ja'Had Carter in the portal from Ohio State | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

DB Ja'Had Carter in the portal from Ohio State

Yep, two kids they wanted to keep are leaving. The sky is falling.

Teams are losing 5 star starting QB, they are losing 15 off the two deep.

But SU is the team that is collapsing.

It's the hope of having 20 returning players with significant experience that's taking the hit.
We never have enough depth to sustain us through the November schedule.

Next year sets up as one of those unicorn years that happen every 4 or 5 years where a lot of young guys get important experience, and you have a lot of depth returning.
That's why people are saying, "hey, maybe 8 wins next year ..."

But if 8 or 10 of those 20 guys you are counting on wind up leaving, too, then you're right back to square one. Undermanned, not enough depth, gaps between classes that screw up player development.

The Channel 5 sports guy said he's researched how many power conference players had hit the portal so far and it was 600. Divide by the number of power conference schools and you get 9, which is how many we've lost. But he didn't say how many of those 600 were starters.

I enjoyed watching Carter play and he seemed like a 100% effort guy. Good luck Ja and make sure you say Syracuse when in the NFL for us.

NIL...it ain't about the jimmies and the joes it's about the dollars and cents. Hard to turn down X amount of cash and what's sad is that this is being down during the season thus tampering, that what really bugs me.

You mean a guy who turned temple into a winner and then turned a Baylor team in disarray into a big 12 contender? Bruh.
Both schools have won recently with other coaches. Hell, Baylor made Dino look like Air Coryell.

The Channel 5 sports guy said he's researched how many power conference players had hit the portal so far and it was 600. Divide by the number of power conference schools and you get 9, which is how many we've lost. But he didn't say how many of those 600 were starters.

I just don't get it. Unless this is to follow White, he's not going to get a bag from anyone.

So, 1049 -19 -102 = 928 guys who jumped and have yet to land anywhere. How many of them will decide they can't improve their position and pull out of the portal? How many of those will be welcomed back? How many of those will be ours? And who can we get? What will be the net gain or loss? I guess we wait to find that out.

One of the bad aspects of this is that you play your bowl game with a gutted roster, (and staff). Per 247, this is Minnesota's transfer portal, (as of over a week ago):

That's 7 guys. I looked for a two deep and this was the best I could find, although there's no date on it, except for the year, 2022:

One of the 7 guys is on the two deep.

Can anybody find anything more up-to-date than that?

One of the bad aspects of this is that you play your bowl game with a gutted roster, (and staff). Per 247, this is Minnesota's transfer portal, (as of over a week ago):

That's 7 guys. I looked for a two deep and this was the best I could find, although there's no date on it, except for the year, 2022:

One of the 7 guys is on the two deep.

Can anybody find anything more up-to-date than that?
Who has a gutted roster?

Bowl games don't work in the portal era. At what point to they say to hell with this?

That’s what I keep saying. This model isn’t going to work for advertisers and companies putting $ into bowl games. You can’t have bowl games, especially in the playoffs with watered down teams and expect viewership to not take a hit at some point.

If I’m Pepsi, why am I paying this much for less product than I originally expected. It’s a conversation I think some companies might have.

Bowl games don't work in the portal era. At what point to they say to hell with this?

Honestly if you're not in the playoffs you might as well get the guys that are going to be here next year some gametime.

That’s what I keep saying. This model isn’t going to work for advertisers and companies putting $ into bowl games. You can’t have bowl games, especially in the playoffs with watered down teams and expect viewership to not take a hit at some point.

If I’m Pepsi, why am I paying this much for less product than I originally expected. It’s a conversation I think some companies might have.

From my understanding of how some of these bowl sponsorships work (I knew someone who was a CFO at a company that sponsored a bowl game for several years)...the numbers were pretty cheap for the headline sponsors. Sure, they rotate a lot but compared to other forms of marketing, it wasn't that bad to take a flyer on. Perhaps that's why they rotate so much is that companies are enticed by the price and realize it's meh.

I think the only way they move away from sponsoring them is if the TV eyeballs decline -- they don't care about the product. They care about the audience.

I read somewhere else here the idea of earning what becomes an opening game the next year. That actually feels more viable…and maybe even serve as a retention incentive to stay. Wanna stay with us and play in a bowl or head to Nebraska or miami and not? Wouldn’t make the complete difference but could influence.

I read somewhere else here the idea of earning what becomes an opening game the next year. That actually feels more viable…and maybe even serve as a retention incentive to stay. Wanna stay with us and play in a bowl or head to Nebraska or miami and not? Wouldn’t make the complete difference but could influence.

My only concern with this idea is it essentially becomes a preseason game. If you are a team that has a chance to make the playoff there is no incentive to play your starters.

Agreed. Timing is bad on two fronts.

First, having the portal window before bowl games is counterproductive.

But on the other hand, players who want to move on need to identify their next landing spot and get there by January.

I don't think those two opposing challenges can be reconciled.

My only concern with this idea is it essentially becomes a preseason game. If you are a team that has a chance to make the playoff there is no incentive to play your starters.
Why call it preseason? It’d be equivalent to the current “chic fila kickoff” and other opening week games in Dallas, etc.

Agreed. Timing is bad on two fronts.

First, having the portal window before bowl games is counterproductive.

But on the other hand, players who want to move on need to identify their next landing spot and get there by January.

I don't think those two opposing challenges can be reconciled.

It gives us more practices and essentially a solid early scrimmage game. I'm all for them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom