DB Ja'Had Carter in the portal from Ohio State | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

DB Ja'Had Carter in the portal from Ohio State

Well, FB is the entertainment product, and the players aren’t management.
I was hesitant to take the bait (and digress from the OP). But no matter how many times you post the student-athletes-are-employees take, the fact is that neither SCOTUS nor the legion of courts considering the issue has ever reached that conclusion. Cheating has long been a part of college sports. But it should be punished, not legitimized as "NIL for the kids". Charitable collectives are one thing; we can look the other way even if few student-athletes have NIL value independent of their team brands. What we can't tolerate is NIL as a rous by factory boosters and greedy state legislators to buy wins ... a scheme that is totally incongruent with the purpose, and the underlying legal structure, of amateur athletics. All these fat-cats are doing is making college sports dirtier, more tilted and less enjoyable. NIL used as pay-for-play is an insult to the vast majority of the nation's universities and 99.5% of the 460,000+ student athletes who value the education they receive in exchange for playing a game they love.

Last edited:
I think some people are influenced by the bright lights of the playoff games. You can't tell me Hartman wouldnt have killed it and been a strong Heisman candidate if he played for GA or TCU. Duggan is as gritty as they come but Ive seen him miss several throws in games. Bennett is surrounded by great skill guys. He has moxy and makes plays at the end of games but he doesnt have NFL upside. Hartman has done more with less and I dont blame him for wanting the chance to take ND to a chip game and make a few dollars in the process.
But NFL scouts find elite QBs on mediocre to bad teams all the time. Have they not seen enough of Hartman to have an idea of how his tools translate to the pros? I'm not saying he's bad, but to claim he's better than every QB in the playoff is an overstatent.

But NFL scouts find elite QBs on mediocre to bad teams all the time. Have they not seen enough of Hartman to have an idea of how his tools translate to the pros? I'm not saying he's bad, but to claim he's better than every QB in the playoff is an overstatent.
My thoughts has nothing to do with what NFL scouts think. NFL upside is a different conversation than college production. The guy is a hell of a college QB. When did I say he is better than every QB in the playoffs?

I think Hartman could increase his value by showing what he could do in a pro style offense. he has enough "arm talent." To me, it's his decision making that is elite. This trait would get accentuated in a pro style offense.

My thoughts has nothing to do with what NFL scouts think. NFL upside is a different conversation than college production. The guy is a hell of a college QB. When did I say he is better than every QB in the playoffs?
You didn't say it. The guy that that mentioned Hartman in the first place did, and that's what started this whole discussion about him. Did you not see that post?

You didn't say it. The guy that that mentioned Hartman in the first place did, and that's what started this whole discussion about him. Did you not see that post?
No I didnt. None of us read every post in each thread. Besides you responded to my post so why would I not assume you were referring to me?

No I didnt. None of us read every post in each thread. Besides you responded to my post so why would I not assume you were referring to me?
Since you mentioned the playoff games, and your post I responded to was on the same page as the one making the comparison of Hartman to the playoff QBs that started the whole discussion about him, I figured it was a safe assumption that you were speaking within the context of that discussion.

Since you mentioned the playoff games, and your post I responded to was on the same page as the one making the comparison of Hartman to the playoff QBs that started the whole discussion about him, I figured it was a safe assumption that you were speaking within the context of that discussion.
My post was about giving credit to some of the QB's/skill players we have in the acc too. They are not scrubs.

My post was about giving credit to some of the QB's/skill players we have in the acc too. They are not scrubs.
I agree with that. Not being as good as a Heisman runner up or a top 5 NFL prospect is far from being a scrub.

I agree with that. Not being as good as a Heisman runner up or a top 5 NFL prospect is far from being a scrub.
That was a figure of speech. I wasnt saying people were calling him a scrub

Duce and Carter are not leaving to find better comp.

That was a figure of speech. I wasnt saying people were calling him a scrub
That's cool. All of my comments were in relation to the original comment, not made by you, that started the Hartman discussion. Saying he was better than every QB in the playoff was an overstatement.

I was hesitant to take the bait (and digress from the OP). But no matter how many times you post the student-athletes-are-employees take, the fact is that neither SCOTUS nor the legion of courts considering the issue has ever reached that conclusion. Cheating has long been a part of college sports. But it should be punished, not legitimized as "NIL for the kids". Charitable collectives are one thing; we can look the other way even though few student-athletes have NIL value independent of their team brands. What we can't tolerate is NIL as a rous by factory boosters and greedy state legislators to perpetrate pay-for-play ... a scheme that is totally incongruent with the underlying legal structure of amateur athletics. All these fat-cats are doing is making college sports dirtier, more tilted and less enjoyable. Their NIL abuse is an insult to the vast majority of the nation's universities and 99.5% of the 460,000+ student athletes who value the education they receive in exchange for playing a game they love.

Don't forget to include the chancellors, ADs, head coaches who have worked this system to get rich beyond their wildest dreams.

And don't blame the players for deciding all the conference realignment and TV money wasn't going to be on their backs without getting a piece of it.

Not sure I agree with Jahad 30+ spots over Duce but 247 gonna 247
I would challenge you on that. Carter had a way better year and more potential imo

Don't forget to include the chancellors, ADs, head coaches who have worked this system to get rich beyond their wildest dreams.

And don't blame the players for deciding all the conference realignment and TV money wasn't going to be on their backs without getting a piece of it.
Administrators, coaches, bowl executives, and every other employee or owner in the workforce deserves to get paid. Even kids in college who work part-time should get paid (and pay taxes on what they receive). But that's where it should end. Being a student athlete on scholarship - that is, enrolling in an educational institution tuition-free and (secondarily) playing a sport - is not a "job". It's a gift you choose to accept. If it's for you and you qualify, fine. If not, I don't want a bunch of fat cats from the SEC turning the undergraduate educational system into a PFP farce and pretending it's "NIL for the kids". And that's what's happening.

They should pool their lucre and spend their time negotiating with the NFL players association to create a g-league option for college football players who want to get paid.

Last edited:
Well if either is planning to attend Ohio State the decision will need to be made this week as classes start on the 9th

For them to be eligible next season they must complete at least 6 credit hours in the spring.

They could do it at Cuse, but being that they are in the portal, they would need to pay their way, which is pretty $$$$

Athletically, you'd think Duce and Jahad should have been snapped up quickly. Could there be academic issues that make their situations complicated?

Well if either is planning to attend Ohio State the decision will need to be made this week as classes start on the 9th

For them to be eligible next season they must complete at least 6 credit hours in the spring.

They could do it at Cuse, but being that they are in the portal, they would need to pay their way, which is pretty $$$$
I don’t think it will be hard to find 6 credit hours somewhere (ex. take some bs online courses).

yeah but they will want to be in spring ball
Kids often now even take up to 6 credits in online courses during this 3 -4 week college Christmas break.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom