Class of 2022 - DB Jalil Martin (IL) Transferring from Nebraska to Syracuse (5/17/23) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 DB Jalil Martin (IL) Transferring from Nebraska to Syracuse (5/17/23)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clearly the coaches were not satisfied with the DB unit after spring. Adding 3 DBs that are 6’2 plus and 200 plus pounds really changes that unit.
My take away as well. We weren't satisfied with the young guys after spring practice and making moves to address that

Also shows the value of not just expending open scholarships to add bodies in February, and the benefit of patiently waiting to see what shakes loose after spring practices with new guys entering the portal.

The portal can be of great benefit to Syracuse... but only if we're patient.

Great job this week by Dino and staff!
snl yes GIF

Saw that the Burton legacy kid went to Auburn. We can't recruit over Pena in the slot? He's been so unspectacular; desperately need wr production there.
I feel we have some bigger receivers that we will see working in the slot this year.
Peña may primarily be on special teams

Saw that the Burton legacy kid went to Auburn. We can't recruit over Pena in the slot? He's been so unspectacular; desperately need wr production there.

All that said, is it impossible for you to say, hey nice pick up here. Good lord man

We do play a 3-3-5 so I am thinking a well stocked secondary would be a good idea

All that said, is it impossible for you to say, hey nice pick up here. Good lord man

We do play a 3-3-5 so I am thinking a well stocked secondary would be a good idea
Oh, I like this pickup. I don't want to see Greenwood and Simmons getting significant minutes on the field. But, just more evidence of poor roster balancing, from Dino.

This year’s portal wars may end up being a net positive. We lost some quality but gained some as well.

Agreed, kids are going to come and go every year and some will hurt a lot more than others and some will be very solid additions but just going to have to get used to it and it's no different everywhere else

I bet Rocky made it a point of emphasis to bring in some talented bigger guys for the secondary. You can't play press coverage against ACC WRs unless you have big, athletic and physical guys in your secondary.

This gives us a chance to be successful. We were his first offer. He must have a good relationship with Coach Fisher as well.
Hats off to Dino and the staff they are really doing an excellent job filling holes and beefing up the roster.

Clearly the coaches were not satisfied with the DB unit after spring. Adding 3 DBs that are 6’2 plus and 200 plus pounds really changes that unit.

There is room for improvement everywhere on the roster. We have been undersized at safety for a few years now. But I also see this as a move for the future.

- Simmons a senior and will run out of eligibility following this season.
- Barron walked in the graduation ceremony last weekend and will definitely graduate in December. Although he could have a year of eligibility remaining, he could also he could also leave depending on how he feels about another year of school and or what his professional options look like after the season.
- Greenwood will be graduating in December.
- Clark will also be draft eligible and could go that route if he has a really good season.

That's three projected starters and one versatile and experienced player who could likely need to be replaced for 2024.

We signed one safety in 2022; Cornell Perry who was injured in 2022.

We did not sign a safety out of high school in the 2023 class.

Clark is versatile and can play CB if needed. He is bigger than some of our younger CB's.

I see 10 scholarship safeties on the roster for 2023 (not 11 as someone mentioned).

Simmons, senior
Greenwood, redshirt junior
Barron, Junior
Clark, junior
Seabourn, junior (with a redshirt remaining)
Folk, redshirt sophomore
Oliver, redshirt sophomore
Porter, redshirt sophomore (injured in 2022), walk-on.
Reirdon, redshirt sophomore (injured in spring), walk-on.
Perry, redshirt freshman (injured in 2022).
Gould, redshirt freshman
Martin, redshirt freshman

Don't be surprised in Seabourne redshirts in 2023.

From 2022 we lost Carter, Coley and Hannah.

Additions: Gould, Seabourn and Martin

The room is FULL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online