Class of 2022 - DB Jalil Martin (IL) Transferring from Nebraska to Syracuse (5/17/23) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 DB Jalil Martin (IL) Transferring from Nebraska to Syracuse (5/17/23)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoa!

Following his position coach from last year, presumably.
JALIL MARTIN TRANSFER FROM NEBRASKA, RFR DID NOT PLAY '22 HAS FOUR YEARS TO PLAY
#7 6'3" 200////AT KENWOOD ACADEMY PLAYED WR / FS ALL- STATE SENIOR YR/ 500 + REC YDS/ 5 TDS/ 45 TACKLES/ 3INTS// 40 N/A EST 4.4's

images

MCaZ2Lzv_400x400.jpg

ASSETS PER HUDL FILM: AT KENWOOD

D:
FAST
GREAT TACKLING SKILLS
HITS ARE VERY HARD
GREAT FREE SAFETY
PBU'S

O:
GREAT HANDS/CATCHES THE BALL
ELUSIVE

The "Signee Spotlight" provides all the information you need on the newest batch of Huskers, including rankings, evaluations and a look at how they landed at Nebraska.

Jalil Martin

6-3, 190, DB

Chicago (Ill.) Kenwood Academy

247Sports composite: 3 stars

Rivals: 3 stars

ESPN: 3 stars

Other key offers: Illinois, Colorado, Ole Miss

How he got here: Martin visited for the Ohio State game and committed before kickoff, calling off other trips because of how much he and his family felt at home. Nebraska offered him during the summer and he enjoyed a strong senior season. In addition to 27 tackles and an interception in 11 games, he made 12 catches for 263 yards and four scores as a receiver. Martin had to earn the attention — he waited behind older Power Five prospects early in his career, and the pandemic altered his 2020 season and camp schedule.

Our take: Martin could settle at a number of positions, but safety seems the best projection given his size and physicality. Nebraska likes taller defensive backs, and Martin fits the bill with a reported 81-inch wing span and speed that allows him to hang with an opponent’s best receiver. He’ll add depth to the secondary right away and should figure into the next wave of contributors after NU bids farewell to three 2021 starters.

They said it: “I think (at) Nebraska, he’s a guy that after his freshman year can become all-conference and, depending on what they do with him, an All-American and a draft pick.” — Kenwood coach Sinque Turner to 247Sports

Nebraska Transfer Jalil Martin Commits to Syracuse

The Orange landed a talented defensive back from the transfer portal.

In This Story:​

Syracuse Orange

SYRACUSE ORANGE
Nebraska Cornhuskers

NEBRASKA CORNHUSKERS
Nebraska transfer defensive back Jalil Martin committed to Syracuse on Wednesday, he announced on Social Media. Martin signed with Nebraska as part of their 2022 recruiting class but redshirted last season. Therefore, the 6-3, 200 pounder has four years of eligibility remaining. He joins transfer defensive backs Jayden Bellamy (Notre Dame) and Jaeden Gould (Nebraska) as incoming transfers into the secondary. Junior college defensive backs Jakobie Seabourn and Berry Buxton also committed this week.

Martin starred for Kenwood Academy in Illinois as a defensive back and wide receiver. He was listed as an athlete by the major recruiting services, and rated a three star prospect by each. He started out as a defensive back with the Cornhuskers but spent some time at receiver this past spring.
He picked Nebraska as a high school recruit over offers from Boston College, Colorado, Illinois, Kansas, Michigan State, Missouri, Ole Miss, Syracuse, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Washington State and many others.

EXC TRANSFER :)

Last edited:
Safety is the most important position on defense, especially in the 3-3-5. Martin is big, athletic, and decisive in his reads so now he just needs to learn the scheme. Who better than Rocky Long to learn from?

I also agree this transfer is about the future as well. This is going to be a really good defense for the next several years. That should breed more recruiting success.

I really like that Fisher has brought along 2 kids that he personally recruited to Nebraska both redshirted and with 4 years of eligibility left. Both heavily recruited. Definitely bodes well for our defensive backfield moving forward. Couple of nice pieces from the portal the last couple of days with Wohlabaugh and now Martin.

Yeah, you guys saw 6’2 200 from Nebraska (very comparable program to cuse as of late) and are freaking out. Let’s not act like he’s Ed Reed.
Heaven forfend someone on this board express a little enthusiasm. No one is suggesting this is Ed Reed, but he's a good prospect with top end athleticism and four years of eligibility. This is a win. Let people respond positively to positive news for a day or two, will ya?

Heaven forfend someone on this board express a little enthusiasm. No one is suggesting this is Ed Reed, but he's a good prospect with top end athleticism and four years of eligibility. This is a win. Let people respond positively to positive news for a day or two, will ya?

Agreed. It's truly unbelievable at times.

SOB made me look up “forfend”.

Yeah, you guys saw 6’2 200 from Nebraska (very comparable program to cuse as of late) and are freaking out. Let’s not act like he’s Ed Reed.
You come to a recruiting discussion board and not expect people to comment on the players? Talking about a safety commit strengths is not saying he is the next Ed Reed,

I believe in being analytical and not just drinking the koolaid but this one was definitely over the top.
Im the same way but I think most people are just generally happy that a kid commits to SU. They are not assuming each commit will be a stud. They talk about their potential more than anything. Breaking down each players strengths and weaknesses requires too much work for an average fan so I don't fault them at all. Some are overly critical because in their minds SU will never be great again and they rather not get too excited to avoid disappointment.

Im the same way but I think most people are just generally happy that a kid commits to SU. They are not assuming each commit will be a stud. They talk about their potential more than anything. Breaking down each players strengths and weaknesses requires too much work for an average fan so I don't fault them at all. Some are overly critical because in their minds SU will never be great again and they rather not get too excited to avoid disappointment.
Well also I think some of our fan base has relegated itself to the notion that a 6 win season is being successful now and our apex is recruiting for a 6 win season. Call me old fashioned but I refuse to do that.

This is the kind of kid we have to recruit with regularity if we’re going to consistently be in the upper half of the conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom