Class of 2015 - DE Keivonnis Davis (FL) Verballed to Florida | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 DE Keivonnis Davis (FL) Verballed to Florida

I really like the defensive lineman we are recruiting they are all strong and seem to be very good pass rushers or have the potential too. This helps the secondary too cause that's less time they have to cover their man. It all starts with the D-line and I think we are recruiting very well there.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but according to Jeff Bertani (supposedly one of GM's best buds) in yesterday's DO article, it didn't sound like the likelihood of GM staying was very high at all. I would suspect he'll be shopping himself pretty good to other BCS level schools who want to expand their footprint in So Fla. Continuing to get commits to verbal to Syracuse off of a disappointing season isn't going to be bad for his resume thats for sure. I'm sure he's still trying to recruit his butt off, but at this point I would think he's doing so for a different end goal than what our fan base is hoping for. Really hope I'm wrong though. Would love for him to stay on as WR coach.

Definitely could be. At the time the whole demotion thing went down I thought there was zero chance of him coming back. At least now I feel there is a chance. If he is asked to restructure his contract I bet that would be the nail in the coffin. Either way will be very interesting to see how things go down.

WR & TE coach as your two top recruiters is ideal.

Having your OC as your top recruiter isn't usually the best practice. Not saying it hasn't been done, but you need position coaches to be those guys and allow the coordinators to construct game plans and things of that nature.

Having your OC as your top recruiter isn't usually the best practice. Not saying it hasn't been done, but you need position coaches to be those guys and allow the coordinators to construct game plans and things of that nature.
maybe this was the plan all along!

tumblr_mbhkbxr0Zl1qdb4cxo1_r1_500.gif

Could Shafer look at having OC Co-Coordinators? One for the passing game and one for the running game? Let them thumb wrestle for playcalling duties?

It works in the NFL and could be a way to justify to the school more money for his staff.

Can certainly work if we are willing to pay accordingly. I'm not sure what GM was making as OC but I can't imagine him taking a pay cut to stay.

I never said McDonald is a cancer, and think he is doing a great job after a difficult situation (which sounds more and more like McDonald got a raw deal). I'm all for McDonald sticking around as the WR coach, and like I said above, it sounds like there is a pretty decent chance of that happening. George is good for the program. We need a charismatic guy that can give the coaching staff some stability The only thing I have been saying about McDonald is that I thought he has been bit over rated as a recruiter during his time here.
Raw deal? How?

To me, it always felt like McDonald's offense didn't fit our personnel. His offensive play calling was rudderless. He mentioned that he felt blind-sided by his demotion. Hmmm, I guess he took moving Lester to the booth last year as a vote of confidence?

Btw, there are plenty of high paid position coaches that are great recruiters out there. Maybe he can become our "Larry Johnson" while he hones his OC skills.

Can certainly work if we are willing to pay accordingly. I'm not sure what GM was making as OC but I can't imagine him taking a pay cut to stay.
Cuse needs to eat that loss and keep him, or structure a deal like Locksleys at Maryland , Top 30 class gets a big bonus.

Incentivise baby!!

PhatOrange said:
I didn't forgot about Chris Slayton, I said there were 4 on the roster next year. Here's the depth chart next season Ron Thompson SENIOR Don Simmons SENIOR Isaiah Johnson JUNIOR Chris Slayton REDSHIRT FRESHMAN If they keep Thompson or Johnson or both inside then it's even more imperative we bring in 3 or 4 defensive ends. I'd assume Ron will bounce back and forth but you still need 3 or 4 defensive ends because you don't start building depth after they're gone. You'd ideally want to have the replacements take over as redshirt freshman or sophomores. Can't wait til next year to bring in DE's.

Thompson will be a junior eligibility wise next year.

Cuse needs to eat that loss and keep him, or structure a deal like Locksleys at Maryland , Top 30 class gets a big bonus.

Incentivise baby!!

If we're going to commit to big boy football we better jump in soon and pay for big boy coaching wages.

Lester was Quarterbacks/ Recruiting Coordinator, McDonald was Associate Head Coach/ Offensive Coordinator,it seems they just flipped one job, Recruiting Coordinator, and Offensive Coordinator.

I never said McDonald is a cancer, and think he is doing a great job after a difficult situation (which sounds more and more like McDonald got a raw deal). I'm all for McDonald sticking around as the WR coach, and like I said above, it sounds like there is a pretty decent chance of that happening. George is good for the program. We need a charismatic guy that can give the coaching staff some stability The only thing I have been saying about McDonald is that I thought he has been bit over rated as a recruiter during his time here.

You might not have said that, but there was a post this week with something like that in the title.

As much as I'd love him to stay I can't see it happening.

If he can go to an SEC school and get paid (prob significantly) more than Cuse why wouldn't he take it?

Plus the guy never stays in one place for very long.

BKCuse said:
As much as I'd love him to stay I can't see it happening. If he can go to an SEC school and get paid (prob significantly) more than Cuse why wouldn't he take it? Plus the guy never stays in one place for very long.

He wasn't here long term anyway. If he succeeded as an OC, he was gone in a few years. Now that he was demoted, he's gone as well.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but according to Jeff Bertani (supposedly one of GM's best buds) in yesterday's DO article, it didn't sound like the likelihood of GM staying was very high at all. I would suspect he'll be shopping himself pretty good to other BCS level schools who want to expand their footprint in So Fla. Continuing to get commits to verbal to Syracuse off of a disappointing season isn't going to be bad for his resume thats for sure. I'm sure he's still trying to recruit his butt off, but at this point I would think he's doing so for a different end goal than what our fan base is hoping for. Really hope I'm wrong though. Would love for him to stay on as WR coach.
If his intention is to go then I have praise him for still working to bring players here. I doubt that being "just" a WE coach is going to be enough for his ego. Hence the "Peter Principle" friends.

Why after 8 months of working on Sheppard has he not committed? There has to be a reason there right? How long do they wait on someone like that?
I think it depends on how the coaches are reading from the kid.Maybe he is just putting one over the staff but reports that he will be a very late commit are ut here.

I guess there is a lot better chance of that happening, then there was a month ago. Sounds like George is open to it.

Another thing, this looks like a solid pick up, I just hope it doesn't effect someone like Sheppard, who we have been on since Spring. I know some of our coaches have different philosophies on taking commitments from kids, mostly having to do with visiting before committing. I just hope this doesn't effect anyone else, and is another good reason why Shafer should have a standard policy for all recruiting strategies.
I think that they should honor Georges contract keep him at the same level of pay and bring Lester up in pay. The school has plenty of room to do this and it would be a great move to make. He does have the associate head coaching title so maybe there is a chance. Lets hope so

I think that they should honor Georges contract keep him at the same level of pay and bring Lester up in pay. The school has plenty of room to do this and it would be a great move to make. He does have the associate head coaching title so maybe there is a chance. Lets hope so

I'm totally fine with that. Would like to see them spend some money, and try to get some stability in the coaching staff.

I didn't forgot about Chris Slayton, I said there were 4 on the roster next year.

Here's the depth chart next season

Ron Thompson SENIOR
Don Simmons SENIOR
Isaiah Johnson JUNIOR
Chris Slayton REDSHIRT FRESHMAN

If they keep Thompson or Johnson or both inside then it's even more imperative we bring in 3 or 4 defensive ends. I'd assume Ron will bounce back and forth but you still need 3 or 4 defensive ends because you don't start building depth after they're gone. You'd ideally want to have the replacements take over as redshirt freshman or sophomores. Can't wait til next year to bring in DE's.
I get tired of our DE's having to move inside. It can't be good for their development. I hope we hang onto the DT verbal commits we have now. I now understand you were referring to Seniors and Juniors. I do see good things from Slayton in the future. I really liked his HS film.

If GZM continues his primary benefit to the program which of course is recruiting TERRIFIC . I just wish he would find some Florida players with great speed for the offense.RB orWR. It really doesn't matter which. Soeone who has the ability to break away with the ball and finish with the X point

I'm totally fine with that. Would like to see them spend some money, and try to get some stability in the coaching staff.
I'm not sure if "stability is the problem ove quality and job performance. Its easy to point the finger at the players but I see issues that are correctible that are repeated and that is coaching.Shafer must spot these issues and get a coach in front of him and get this crap fixed.

Chris Boyle ‏@ChrisBoyleDBNJ 13h13 hours ago
Houston sacked again back at midfield by #Syracuse commit @keivonnis Davis. Bucs forced to punt, down 17-14 with 3:12 left in the half.

Chris Boyle
‏@ChrisBoyleDBNJ
11h11 hours ago
#Syracuse commit @keivonnis Davis picks up his second sack of the night. Bucs will have 3rd-and-11.

Central and Armwood will be playing for the championship...please don't hurt our kicker. ;)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom