Deadspin covers JB's presser | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Deadspin covers JB's presser

TheCusian said:
I love how this presser is so different and will be the one to harm us... Right. This is like #430 out of 900+ post game press conferences on the "was he out of line?" Meter.

How many times has he laughed at our best pro prose for pretty much saying he has no business being in the discussion? JB brought the lottery business up, not the press this time.

You guys need to understand something. JB's team was poached last year. Poached. Draft guys and agent runners talking to parents, hyping up status, etc. Say what you want about Ennis being OK in the D-League. He's not. He's making money and that's it. He is languishing there with ZERO pub. Yeah he came back up, but he is not NBA ready. He isn't strong enough and needs to get quicker. This is coming from people who know the deal. He would have benefitted coming back a year, and I think that has finally been made clear to some.

JB has to look out for his program, for sure, but he is also loyal to his players and brutally honest. If they don't want to hear reality, then they need to grow up. JB has more concern for CMac's future than any of these draftnik sleaze buckets. Chris is not ready yet. That is a fact. If he leaves now he'll wash out, no matter how much upside he has. He needs to mature, get stronger, and gain confidence. He also has to be able to assert himself on the court. If he can own guys like Okafor, then he might be ready.

I have zero problem with JB being honest with the kids. If it saves them from making a bad decision or motivates them to get better, it's all good. JB was much worse back in the day. He used to ride Seikaly so bad that Rony hated his guts. But Rony needed to be pushed. He never would have been the pro he was if JB wasn't on his case. Some kids need extreme motivation.

Why is it bad for JB to call guys out and rip them and guys like Jim Calhoun were lauded for it? Calhoun would rip his players all the time, and he did pretty darn good recruiting and winning. If kids can't take the heat, then go underachieve someplace else. Life doesn't get any easier.

PeteCalvin said:
You guys need to understand something. JB's team was poached last year. Poached. Draft guys and agent runners talking to parents, hyping up status, etc. Say what you want about Ennis being OK in the D-League. He's not. He's making money and that's it. He is languishing there with ZERO pub. Yeah he came back up, but he is not NBA ready. He isn't strong enough and needs to get quicker. This is coming from people who know the deal. He would have benefitted coming back a year, and I think that has finally been made clear to some. JB has to look out for his program, for sure, but he is also loyal to his players and brutally honest. If they don't want to hear reality, then they need to grow up. JB has more concern for CMac's future than any of these draftnik sleaze buckets. Chris is not ready yet. That is a fact. If he leaves now he'll wash out, no matter how much upside he has. He needs to mature, get stronger, and gain confidence. He also has to be able to assert himself on the court. If he can own guys like Okafor, then he might be ready. I have zero problem with JB being honest with the kids. If it saves them from making a bad decision or motivates them to get better, it's all good. JB was much worse back in the day. He used to ride Seikaly so bad that Rony hated his guts. But Rony needed to be pushed. He never would have been the pro he was if JB wasn't on his case. Some kids need extreme motivation. Why is it bad for JB to call guys out and rip them and guys like Jim Calhoun were lauded for it? Calhoun would rip his players all the time, and he did pretty darn good recruiting and winning. If kids can't take the heat, then go underachieve someplace else. Life doesn't get any easier.

I don't have a problem with JB being brutally honest to the players, to the players faces and in private. I have a problem with him going overboard to the press and ripping them in public.

Tom ley is a p***** just look at the guy. Mcglovin's uglier brother

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 79
two3zone said:
I think it's obvious how it's going to hurt us.

If you're Bryant or another top flight recruit what are you thinking?

And with Boeheim's comments no one is talking about how ineffective Chris has been the last few games. Instead the story is that 1. McC has the tools to be a lottery pick and 2. Boeheim is a jerk.

Seems he's done a great job protecting his player.

two3zone

do you wanna apply for a college assisting coaching job so you can go recruit and negative recruit against Syracuse, or whoever. Or are you just another one of those who kneel before the alter of John Calapari out there.

Seems you would be good at it.

two3zone

do you wanna apply for a college assisting coaching job so you can go recruit and negative recruit against Syracuse, or whoever. Or are you just another one of those who kneel before the alter of John Calapari out there.

Seems you would be good at it.
Two3zone is going NUTS in the minutes thread defending Boeheim. To question his loyalty to 'Cuse because he has a differing opinion on an SU related topic is pretty weak. Come on' Hulk, be better than that.

Two3zone is going NUTS in the minutes thread defending Boeheim. To question his loyalty to 'Cuse because he has a differing opinion on an SU related topic is pretty weak. Come on' Hulk, be better than that.

I'm giving you special recognition for being one of the few people(maybe the only one other than myself) to suggest something like that in a civil manner, rather than to come out swinging. I'd love to see that more on here.

In World War 1, the Americans and Germans took Christmas off from fighting, met out in "no man's land", and drank and smoked together. Both sides were there doing the bidding of evil men, but they knew that they had a lot more in common with each other than otherwise. I feel the same for us folks here.

CuseCPT said:

The funny thing is I change depending on the year and the bench. In previous years I wanted to play more guys because of who was on the bench and who started and where we were with our record. This year just seems like the bench is weaker than normal and we're going to have to scratch and cling to a spot in the NCAA tournament.

I think JB is an unbelievable coach and I don't question him very often but I do think he is not perfect, I think he is handling the bench correctly this year but I disagree with his throwing players under the bus and I think this years athletes we have on the floor we could press pretty well and maybe pop out of the 2-3 every once in awhile and play man in different situations where it may warrant it.

My biggest per peeve w/ JB has ALWAYS been the thin bench. Rarely has he developed players over the course of a season and last year in particular, I felt he wore out his starters and we wilted down the stretch.
I've accepted that he'll play maybe 7 to 8 guys in total no matter what. The one exception was the year we were loaded and he HAD to play more guys. Other than that, it just ain't gonna happen any other way.
This year seems no different. It is what it is.

Last edited:
I love our coach but his body language and arrogance rub me the wrong way in most of his pressers. Yes when you have an arrogant reporter it's fine to berate them like he did after the last Final Four game.

But if there just asking questions (which is their job) no need to be a d1ck.

Tom Ley always has his agenda. Usually ultra-liberal. Always snarky and always hipster. Never any insight into sports.

He's not a sports guy, he's a Gawker blogger. He wishes he was writing for gay rights blogs. He's never wrong and he's always self-righteous. He is the epitome of everything wrong with Deadspin and the disaster it has become since Gawker purchased it. He is one of the main reasons I haven't been on the site in a year.

I'm sorry, but am I am going to give JB crap for this, it doesn't look good in any way, shape, or form. Trash the person who wrote this article, trash the boneyard, but this isn't a great way to bring in top recruits in the future.

The thing that bothered me the most is the question was about CM's struggles, nobody mentioned the draft, nobody mentioned the lottery, JB did, it's not right and I only think it hurts us going forward.
Agreed. Absolutely no reason to be popping off like that. He keeps it up and he'll be Bobby Knight at the end of his run status.

No, he has an issue with players letting it go to their head, like Donte Green. Or players leaving early based on ty draft predictions, like Grant or maybe Ennis (yes, other factors were at play too). He had no problem with Melo leaving, or Flynn, or Waiters, or Wes.

I expect the thinking that he purposely trashes players, just because he wants them to stay, from opposing fans. I don't expect it from Syracuse fans who should probably know better.

Perception can become reality. I'm trying to see the point of him putting things like that out there...and I don't see it. What positive purpose does it serve?

I may be a bit biased, but I still liked my "cover" of "Blundered Presser" better than the deadskin thing. My favorite part were the high notes in "Boe heim heim heim heim".

I'm half-tempted to produce an album called "Cuse Covers", but it might be like waiting for Chinese Democracy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom