Dempsey back to MLS? | Syracusefan.com

Dempsey back to MLS?

That's incredible. Way too soon for him to come back to MLS.

Just read this - really shocked and not sure what to think about it... He is still very much in his prime and played well enough at tottenham. Would have rather seen him move to the Bundesliga or Serie A vs this. Even back to Fulham or another mid-table squad in the EPL.

He's also being linked to Everton now but it's the silly season so who knows how much merit lies in any of these rumors.

He can command a premium salary from the Sounders. In England, or elsewhere in Europe, while the competition is 10x better, he's just another guy and teams won't overpay.

He can command a premium salary from the Sounders. In England, or elsewhere in Europe, while the competition is 10x better, he's just another guy and teams won't overpay.

Not sure what Sounders could pay though. Does the MLS still only allow one player to not effect a teams cap? If so Obefemi Martins has that spot locked down and everyone else on the payroll makes far less than Dempsey would make in England.

http://www.sounderatheart.com/2013/5/6/4306158/2013-mls-player-salaries-released-sounders

i believe seattle can pay him to some degree as one of their 3 allowable DP's. Hopefully its just TW craziness.

I would rather he not come back...but maybe he wants to come back home? Landon's been fine. *shrug*

Actually according to this
http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/66/u...-dempseys-move-to-tottenham-makes-him-highest-

Demspey makes far more money than anyone in the MLS
http://www.socceramerica.com/article/51524/mlss-top-20-highest-paid-players.html

He's also got a contract with Spurs through 2015. Unless they are paying the wage descrepency he'd be better served financially to just play out his contract even if he's not in the starting 11.

4 years, $32 million. At the end of the day, he gets paid handsomely into his mid-30s when many players are jettisoned to China or Russia, gets his salary in dollars vs. pounds which eliminates currency risk, and gets to live with Kurt Cobain's ghost.

Also, for those that care...appears possible MLS fudging the allocation rules to allow Dempsey to go to Seattle. FWIW, I don't care. MLS DP rules are dumb.

4 years, $32 million. At the end of the day, he gets paid handsomely into his mid-30s when many players are jettisoned to China or Russia, gets his salary in dollars vs. pounds which eliminates currency risk, and gets to live with Kurt Cobain's ghost.
Currency risk? Really?

Unbelievable. I suppose I shouldn't be disappointed, but I am.

I would say this amplifies the need for Jozy to do well for sunderland. Don't want to lose the momentum built from dempsey, bradley and jozy together as the biggest american names in europe. Maybe with good showings of late a couple others can get some european interest - such as zusi, gonzalez, besler...

I would say this amplifies the need for Jozy to do well for sunderland. Don't want to lose the momentum built from dempsey, bradley and jozy together as the biggest american names in europe. Maybe with good showings of late a couple others can get some european interest - such as zusi, gonzalez, besler...

Don't forget guys like Cameron and Shea. We can just hope they really blossom overseas and put up good seasons in the very near future.

I'm stunned that Dempsey made this move. Obviously there is more to the story. He's in his prime, captain of the national team, and was hungry for CL football before his move to Spurs. I bet Klinsmann is not happy about this but it's not his decision to make.

As for other Americans that could leave MLS for Europe, Juan Agudelo and Omar Gonzalez's contracts run out in January they will both look to move to Europe. Under the radar would be a guy like Luis Gil. He's 19 and was probably the best US player at the U-20 WC last month. I think his contract also ends either in January or next summer.

Part of the problem of US youth development is that guys aren't ready to make the jump from MLS until they are in the 24-27 range. Ideally the US has a structure where they sign at 18, reserve team at 19, make the bench/spot starts at 20, starter at 21, and dominate/move to Europe at 22. College soccer has limits on practice time while their rest of world counterpart is practicing in a pro environment everyday.

I'm stunned that Dempsey made this move. Obviously there is more to the story. He's in his prime, captain of the national team, and was hungry for CL football before his move to Spurs. I bet Klinsmann is not happy about this but it's not his decision to make.

As for other Americans that could leave MLS for Europe, Juan Agudelo and Omar Gonzalez's contracts run out in January they will both look to move to Europe. Under the radar would be a guy like Luis Gil. He's 19 and was probably the best US player at the U-20 WC last month. I think his contract also ends either in January or next summer.

Part of the problem of US youth development is that guys aren't ready to make the jump from MLS until they are in the 24-27 range. Ideally the US has a structure where they sign at 18, reserve team at 19, make the bench/spot starts at 20, starter at 21, and dominate/move to Europe at 22. College soccer has limits on practice time while their rest of world counterpart is practicing in a pro environment everyday.

I'd like to see some of our younger keepers like Hamid or Johnson make the move to Europe since we're going to need someone to replace Timmy Howard relatively soon, and Nick Rimando is way too old to take that role.

There is some good news on that front.

Is this kid full on American or is this going to be another Rossi situation where some other country tries to steal him away for their national team?
I wondered that exact same thing when I saw it. I don't see any indication that he has claims to any other citizenship. I'd say he's firmly American, but who knows. Plus, he's only 11. Lots of time to flame out or simply decide that soccer isn't his passion.