Dennis Gates (HC) from Cleveland State | Syracusefan.com

Dennis Gates (HC) from Cleveland State

Carlsberg

Walk On
He can really coach...Took Oklahoma St to the wire, and lost by 4 in Overtime...If you are a fan of basketball, his players passing is crisp, and the shooting, scoring, and passing is a beautiful brand of basketball...If you have ESPN plus give them a look for a nice brand of basketball...He has coached at Major Schools as an Assistant, and I am interested in seeing where he ends up long term...The passing alone I saw tonight was beautiful, and it showed showed that they were well coached, and fundamentally sound...Take a look at his wikipedia...

also read his bio...Graduated from Cal Berkeley in 3 years, and was a 2 time Academic All-American at Cal...played in 2001-2002 last...He would be a guy, I would like to have coach our program in the future...

also read his bio...Graduated from Cal Berkeley in 3 years, and was a 2 time Academic All-American at Cal...played in 2001-2002 last...He would be a guy, I would like to have coach our program in the future...
Seems like West coast guy, though. Recruiting is the lifeblood. We'd need someone, should it ever happen, with E coast recruiting ties.

Seems like West coast guy, though. Recruiting is the lifeblood. We'd need someone, should it ever happen, with E coast recruiting ties.
I’d like to able to recruit nationally. I’d rather not be a regional power.

Agreed. You go after everyone, everywhere. But realistically you’re likely to build momentum by locking down your region first. Get the studs from the the East and Atlantic coasts, then expand. We’ve always done best in the Md, DC, Jersey, & NE areas. We need to get back to that.

Agreed. You go after everyone, everywhere. But realistically you’re likely to build momentum by locking down your region first. Get the studs from the the East and Atlantic coasts, then expand. We’ve always done best in the Md, DC, Jersey, & NE areas. We need to get back to that.
If we can land a few of the top kids from Philly DC Baltimore NYC we are set

Not sure Cleveland state is where a supposedly top 10-15 program should be getting their next coach.

We had some pretty great teams recently with the core from upstate and Philly.

We had some pretty great teams recently with the core from upstate and Philly.
define "recently" ... the last Philly core was in 2010. Rak's the only other recruit from there and that was ~10 years ago.

I don't have a problem with recruiting the NE/MD/VA/PA area, it's rich in talent. And SU has missed on a lot of them. I think great recruiters build relationships and don't rely on them. If SU is a bigtime school, then it shouldn't be a big lift to recruit nationally. Nate Oats is from the upper midwest and Buffalo and he's got recruits from all over. Mick Cronin is from Ohio and he's got a pile of elite recruits from CA and NV as well as a former SU target from NY.

Good coaches leverage their positives and get recruits wherever they are. They're not restricted by previously established connections. That's all. I don't worry about where a coach is from.

define "recently" ... the last Philly core was in 2010. Rak's the only other recruit from there and that was ~10 years ago.

I don't have a problem with recruiting the NE/MD/VA/PA area, it's rich in talent. And SU has missed on a lot of them. I think great recruiters build relationships and don't rely on them. If SU is a bigtime school, then it shouldn't be a big lift to recruit nationally. Nate Oats is from the upper midwest and Buffalo and he's got recruits from all over. Mick Cronin is from Ohio and he's got a pile of elite recruits from CA and NV as well as a former SU target from NY.

Good coaches leverage their positives and get recruits wherever they are. They're not restricted by previously established connections. That's all. I don't worry about where a coach is from.

You're right. 2011 wasn't recently.

Not sure Cleveland state is where a supposedly top 10-15 program should be getting their next coach.

We aren't a top 50 program right now. Yes, we have pedigree, but this isn't exactly a Duke, Kentucky, or Michigan prestige level job. Identifying and hiring a talented young coach at a Cleveland State type school is exactly the kind of hire we should be looking for. Realistically, its either that or mid-tier guy from a similar middle-table P5 school.

This board is pickier than Seinfeld. "She eats her peas one at a time!"

We can't even lock down a suburb of the city where our University is located!

We aren't a top 50 program right now. Yes, we have pedigree, but this isn't exactly a Duke, Kentucky, or Michigan prestige level job. Identifying and hiring a talented young coach at a Cleveland State type school is exactly the kind of hire we should be looking for. Realistically, its either that or mid-tier guy from a similar middle-table P5 school.

Yeah Syracuse basketball isn't a Michigan level job. Dumb.

We're still a pretty important program. Miami was just able take the coach from Oregon and we've been far more relevant in basketball over the last 15 years than Miami has been in football. Even in this horrible stretch we still have a final four and two sweet 16s. I'd be curious how many schools have that many wins in the last 5 NCAA tournaments.

What I wonder:
For most top recruits, does the NIL pkg become what it's all about, or a major factor in decisions?
ie: Big NIL $$$ overshadowing the sales pitch of program/coach/history/facilities/fanbase etc?
What are we up against -can SU compete for players to be a Top 20 program in this new scenario?

Yeah Syracuse basketball isn't a Michigan level job. Dumb.
I would score the elite prestige coaching gigs in college basketball as Duke, UNC, Kentucky, and Kansas. Then probably Michigan, Michigan State, UCLA and Ohio State at tier below that. Dumb. (I can insult people too)

I would score the elite prestige coaching gigs in college basketball as Duke, UNC, Kentucky, and Kansas. Then probably Michigan, Michigan State, UCLA and Ohio State at tier below that. Dumb. (I can insult people too)
Michigan based on what. Their less regular season wins all time and their less tournament wins all time and same number of titles???

Michigan based on what. Their less regular season wins all time and their less tournament wins all time and same number of titles???
Adding to the mix:
With a more recent/looking forward perspective, Gonzaga now worthy of mention with elite coaching gigs.
IMO

Your first four yes, obviously. The next tier? Seems you threw darts. There are probably 12-15 'Tier 2' jobs out there, just below the top 4. SU is absolutely in that bunch. How high or low can be argued, but inclusion really cannot. Success all comes down to the right coach.

At this point an exciting up and coming young coach is pretty appealing, I would think, if we go outside the family.

I don’t think we’re top tier, but my bigger concern is just the overall influence of JB in selecting the next coach. If so, what difference does it matter if we’re first or fifth tier, right? If he wants Red or GMac and JW is giving him the conch to pick his successor, I mean, it’s moot.

Personally, Im not sure where we are in the pecking order. If you had told me in 2004 that we might not be able to pick off a coach from Alabama, I would have thought you were crazy. Now, I dunno.

Endowment: SU 1.39 billion, U of M 17 billion
Athletic Budget: SU 80 million, U of M 180 million

Donors, boosters, student body, 30 for 30s. You name it. Yes, Syracuse has a richer basketball history, but not drastically richer to offset everything else about comparing the two schools.

I can't imagine a lot of coaches would pick Syracuse over Ann Arbor, but hey, it's all just speculation.