Class of 2015 - Derrick Jones | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 Derrick Jones

idk, but seems to me that this thread has gone all UConn. Any chance it can be moved over to their board for discussion?

There are a few things that are guaranteed on this board - any mention of UCONN or Rutgers and there will be a massive thread hi-jack. This board is highly passionate about these two programs: one program I have a lot of respect for, the other I couldn't give a rat's butthole - can you guess which is which? :)

I welcome the UCONN discussions - I think Ollie will do a great job and as I have said before I don't have a problem with their program as they have been highly successful, but some of the fans just rub me the wrong way. Thankfully, the Syracuse Fans aren't like that at all :p:D:cool:

There are a few things that are guaranteed on this board - any mention of UCONN or Rutgers and there will be a massive thread hi-jack. This board is highly passionate about these two programs: one program I have a lot of respect for, the other I couldn't give a rat's butthole - can you guess which is which? :)

I welcome the UCONN discussions - I think Ollie will do a great job and as I have said before I don't have a problem with their program as they have been highly successful, but some of the fans just rub me the wrong way. Thankfully, the Syracuse Fans aren't like that at all :p:D:cool:
The Boners are bitter, angry, and perplexed why their stellar athletic achievements haven't translated to a place at the big boy table. They're fantasizing about "whether they should reject the ACC bid, and take the B1G offer instead"...since both conferences WILL be fighting over them :crazy:...any. day. now. Meanwhile, they'll keep cussin' and spittin' at the wind since you see... Cuse doesn't "deserve" to be in the P5 ahead of them, since they're so much better and we're "jealous" of them.
Its rather telling that a program that has won 4 NC's is still not considered the most hated in their own backyards. SU OTOH, because of our longevity, tradition, and record of perennial success in both football and bball, has lapped UConn in the one area which they can't seem to accept. We have the better overall "brand", and its killing them to accept it.
I have respect for UConn's program, and in the end I do believe someone will pick them up. But watching the Boners squirm as they contemplate their uncertain fate, is definitely a pleasure to behold. Since we, BC, Rutgers, WVU, Louisville, ACC, et al - are all so "beneath them", then how in the name of everything holy are they:

outside.jpg

Last edited:
So, sometimes we don't get a kid that we think would be great to have. So it goes. As far as highly talented prospects... the trees are full of them. Some you get some you don't. At the end of the day, equally important is the dynamic of the team that you do assemble from those kids you can convince to come play for your program. With what seems like a tweaking of emphasis by JB and the staff, we have some kids coming who will fill in the missing element we've had recently... SCORERS. If we can field a team that can play defensively on par with some of the recent teams but have the ability to put points up on the board, that is what is going to propel us to another national championship. Perhaps not this coming year, and they could surprise us, but the following year we will certainly be in the mix IMHO. So, along the line of not giving a flying alley oop about Jones going elsewhere, I offer up one of my Cuse Basketball Limericks:

There's many top prospects, only a few that you land
Some you think "done deal" who slip through your hand
With JB and Gmac, Red Autry and Hop
we all know the next class will be near the top!
Jones may go elsewhere and we all can profess
that now he has spoken we couldn't care less!
If he plays us at some point he'll sweat real profuse
Cuz we'll have Malachi rainin' treys for the Cuse!
So stop by the board here and hear a big THUD!
That's the sound of us landing another big STUD!
We've lined up some ballers who soon will be here
with a Dome full of Orange fans with reason to cheer!
So don't fret when we lose one from some future class
The team that we field then will big time kick a$$!

That would get you a BA at UNC.

Its rather telling that a program that has won 4 NC's is still not considered the most hated in their own backyards.
View attachment 21502

Yeah. When we won our 4th National Championship beating KY and basically becoming the dominant BB program in mens and women's BB over the last 20 years, the thought that was in my head was is UCONN hated more than SU by people in ME and RI.

I admit its devasting to learn that hate us less. But watching the youtube videos on the four NC mens games and the 9 womens games does help ease the pain.

your right one player would not of mattered but I think having Cuse not be the stud recruit school after probation helped UConn immensely. I would much rather be in the Cuses shoes going forward in all sports than UConn.

Maybe. But if you consider than Ollie and JB are tied in NCs as head coaches ( and Ollie has one more as an assistant coach) it depends what you root for.

Conference affiliation or March results. As long as we have Ollie, I like our chances.

Despite the smaller checks we cash.

Yeah. When we won our 4th National Championship beating KY and basically becoming the dominant BB program in mens and women's BB over the last 20 years, the thought that was in my head was is UCONN hated more than SU by people in ME and RI.

I admit its devasting to learn that hate us less. But watching the youtube videos on the four NC mens games and the 9 womens games does help ease the pain.
Yup...pick a sentence and respond to that. Nice try.
Bottomline, son- UConn is left behind, which is a shame.
But the prissy attitude of your fanbase brings out the schadenfreude in all of us. In any case, championships come and go...so congrats.
As for you and the rest of the Boners...

shinebox.jpg

Maybe. But if you consider than Ollie and JB are tied in NCs as head coaches ( and Ollie has one more as an assistant coach) it depends what you root for.

Conference affiliation or March results. As long as we have Ollie, I like our chances.

Despite the smaller checks we cash.
Prince Ali said to say hi he apparently feels differently then you do...lol

Last edited by a moderator:
The Boners are bitter, angry, and perplexed why their stellar athletic achievements haven't translated to a place at the big boy table. They're fantasizing about "whether they should reject the ACC bid, and take the B1G offer instead"...since both conferences WILL be fighting over them :crazy:...any. day. now. Meanwhile, they'll keep cussin' and spittin' at the wind since you see... Cuse doesn't "deserve" to be in the P5 ahead of them, since they're so much better and we're "jealous" of them.
Its rather telling that a program that has won 4 NC's is still not considered the most hated in their own backyards. SU OTOH, because of our longevity, tradition, and record of perennial success in both football and bball, has lapped UConn in the one area which they can't seem to accept. We have the better overall "brand", and its killing them to accept it.
I have respect for UConn's program, and in the end I do believe someone will pick them up. But watching the Boners squirm as they contemplate their uncertain fate, is definitely a pleasure to behold. Since we, BC, Rutgers, WVU, Louisville, ACC, et al - are all so "beneath them", then how in the name of everything holy are they:

View attachment 21502

I like you're spirit, but they're four months moved from title no. 4. I don't think "brand" smack and reddit charts are going to get it done.

I like you're spirit, but they're four months moved from title no. 4. I don't think "brand" smack and reddit charts are going to get it done.
That's the point, Docsu.
No one is saying they don't deserve props for their accomplishments, but I stand by what I said.
Despite those lofty achievements the fact is they're left behind, and their attitude towards us especially, is now filled with bile and recrimination...like it's our fault they weren't chosen.
It's one thing to feel they deserve to be there, and I don't think a single SU fan felt that they don't. But if you take a gander at the Boners and their circle-jerk, particularly what they have to say about us, and maybe you'd see why a little schadenfreude is warranted.
Frankly, its a way to tweak them in one area that we can- since their NC's have definitely lapped ours. And I really don't have a problem saying that- but I'll be damned if I shower respect on a bunch of yahoos who show nothing but contempt for us...at least on that forum.
Let them wither and die, NC's in hand. :cool:

That's the point, Docsu.
No one is saying they don't deserve props for their accomplishments, but I stand by what I said.
Despite those lofty achievements the fact is they're left behind, and their attitude towards us especially, is now filled with bile and recrimination...like it's our fault they weren't chosen.
It's one thing to feel they deserve to be there, and I don't think a single SU fan felt that they don't. But if you take a gander at the Boners and their circle-jerk, particularly what they have to say about us, and maybe you'd see why a little schadenfreude is warranted.
Frankly, its a way to tweak them in one area that we can- since their NC's have definitely lapped ours. And I really don't have a problem saying that- but I'll be damned if I shower respect on a bunch of yahoos who show nothing but contempt for us...at least on that forum.
Let them wither and die, NC's in hand. :cool:

I don't disagree Doc.

Sdhuskys the best UCONN poster I've come across. That's not an endorsement of him necessarily as it is utter condemnation of the trolls that inhabit that cesspool. All of them to a letter are bitter, small people.

But while I agree that CR is our last card we can play as a fanbase, I don't think they GAF. They just won a NC.

I don't disagree Doc.

Sdhuskys the best UCONN poster I've come across. That's not an endorsement of him necessarily as it is utter condemnation of the trolls that inhabit that cesspool. All of them to a letter are bitter, small people.

But while I agree that CR is our last card we can play as a fanbase, I don't think they GAF. They just won a NC.

I'm the tallest midget!!!

We get the last word on our board. D. Jones, best of luck to him. Exciting player to watch. But this board is for Syracuse fans. Maybe, a few scattered self loathing fans at the very worst. :) That's about as far as we go. And a friendly reminder of how great we are and will continue to be. Well, here are two reminders.
richardsonlydon1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't personally have any problem with UConn fans. Georgetown, Villanova, and Pitt fans are more problematic for me. Syracuse has the better brand and probably will be more stable moving forward with or without Boeheim. No question UConn has been the better program since the mid 90s. You look at the titles, pro prospects/lottery picks, NBA solid players., etc. No question. Syracuse is going be very strong and should be competing for titles moving forward with these recruiting hauls as of late.

http://zagsblog.com/articles/derrick-jones-to-visit-unlv-for-midnight-madness/
Last year at this point he had his pick of either SU or UK. Now it seems to be a three team race between UConn, UNLV, and Auburn. I think the dad may have gambled on thinking his son was still going to be a highly regarded 5 star player and that would make all of the big boys wait, but unfortunately for him his son stock has gone down and plenty of schools have moved on.

http://zagsblog.com/articles/derrick-jones-to-visit-unlv-for-midnight-madness/
Last year at this point he had his pick of either SU or UK. Now it seems to be a three team race between UConn, UNLV, and Auburn. I think the dad may have gambled on thinking his son was still going to be a highly regarded 5 star player and that would make all of the big boys wait, but unfortunately for him his son stock has gone down and plenty of schools have moved on.

Go to UNLV, become next Anthony Bennett.

...or Roscoe Smith

I don't disagree Doc.

Our luck with Joneses hasn't been all that great over the years. If we lose him, he's likely to be a thorn in our side (Kevin Jones). If he comes, he'll prolly sh-i-t the bed. (Mookie & Mike)

I don't personally have any problem with UConn fans. Georgetown, Villanova, and Pitt fans are more problematic for me. Syracuse has the better brand and probably will be more stable moving forward with or without Boeheim. No question UConn has been the better program since the mid 90s. You look at the titles, pro prospects/lottery picks, NBA solid players., etc. No question. Syracuse is going be very strong and should be competing for titles moving forward with these recruiting hauls as of late.

I think Jones is a bit of a unique situation.

To me, he seems like a guy built to play in the NBA - the kind of potential the scouts look for.

But his game is not polished yet, so he will likely be better as a pro than as a 1-and-done college player.

I'm not sure he is UCONN's #1 choice right now. I think Tevin Mack might be the guy we get.

If we get Mack and Stone, this would be the best UCONN class ever... on paper.

Why is a UConn guy on our board talking hoops? Just another dog begging for scrapes at the table move along and go back to your little UConn world,... in what conference?

Why is a UConn guy on our board talking hoops? Just another dog begging for scrapes at the table move along and go back to your little UConn world,... in what conference?

This post is worse than the U-Con guy...Sorry. They can gloat now until they fall off into oblivion. They are the most relevant team there is right now...

Suppose to announce his decision tomorrow. I think UNLV will be the choice here, which is probably the best fit for him where he can run up n down and not worry about fitting into a strict offensive system.

Our luck with Joneses hasn't been all that great over the years. If we lose him, he's likely to be a thorn in our side (Kevin Jones). If he comes, he'll prolly sh-i-t the bed. (Mookie & Mike)
I don't think the staff ever heavily recruited D Jones.

Suppose to announce his decision tomorrow. I think UNLV will be the choice here, which is probably the best fit for him where he can run up n down and not worry about fitting into a strict offensive system.
Did you know that Isaiah Fredo's announcement coming up is being dubbed "the decision"?