Deston Hawkins in the portal | Syracusefan.com

Deston Hawkins in the portal

IMG_1668.gif

See these hail mary west coast JUCO signings were absurd as we brought them in. Just shows how little interest Babers was able to drum up if we were handing these schollies out late in the cycle. It was basically to make sure we had 85 guys. Bizarre when they were offered and only confirms the point now with none of them touching the field and all being cut loose now. I’m set with JUCO’s unless you are getting the big time ones with SEC offers. These no name, no offers, from the other coast have worked maybe once (Goggins).

See these hail mary west coast JUCO signings were absurd as we brought them in. Just shows how little interest Babers was able to drum up if we were handing these schollies out late in the cycle. It was basically to make sure we had 85 guys. Bizarre when they were offered and only confirms the point now with none of them touching the field and all being cut loose now. I’m set with JUCO’s unless you are getting the big time ones with SEC offers. These no name, no offers, from the other coast have worked maybe once (Goggins).

I was going to type something similar last night but thought it came out a bit harsh so I deleted it...lol

Hawkins appeared in 10 games as a kickoff return man and special teams player for the majority of the season. He did start 1 game at RB.

Every team needs role players.

Hawkins appeared in 10 games as a kickoff return man and special teams player for the majority of the season. He did start 1 game at RB.

Every team needs role players.
Could have fooled me. Not a good thing when you play 10 games and you didn’t even notice.

Could have fooled me. Not a good thing when you play 10 games and you didn’t even notice.
He was on kickoff return. Most of the time he just held out his hands to his sides to signal let the ball go and we'll take the ball at the 25. I know players could get injured but I miss kickoff returns, they are among the most exciting plays in football because of the potential for long runbacks or TDs (i.e. Kirby Dar Dar). I think Deston only returned 1 all year. I would have liked to see what he could do if he had chances to return. He may have been the up man with Gill the deep man. Gill had the most returns including the ill-fated fumble vs. GTech, a big reason we lost the game because GT immediately scored after it.

If an obscure JUCO no other P5 offered that we added over the summer is able to find a role, that’s more of an indictment than a positive thing.
If he was a core special teams guy instead of a freshman, there is nothing wrong with that. They knew Parkman was out for the year.

Kristof Ongeneat was a legend!

As I recall, it seemed like Deston was brought on as an emergency option while we were waiting to see how the LeQuint situation was going to play out. So I'm not totally shocked with this development after getting a new staff. Wish him well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom