Deston Hawkins in the portal | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Deston Hawkins in the portal

Not surprising but in the end I am not sure what to think of any of the remaining rbs but Allen. Dino seemed to only run 1 rb. None of the others got any real meaningful reps. Even Allen when Tucker was still here barely touched the ball until the bowl game.

If an obscure JUCO no other P5 offered that we added over the summer is able to find a role, that’s more of an indictment than a positive thing.

Nah. You need athletes with size to fill out teams. If Hawkins filled that role it’s fine. Ike Daniels could’ve stood there too and done nothing just the same. Not really an indictment on anybody.

Either way I don’t care who leaves but we do need role players.

Side note we’ve historically had pretty decent jucos. It was clear however last off-season we had a lot of open spots and had to fill them. It was an indictment of the staff and their ability to recruit and manage a roster.

Last edited:
As I recall, it seemed like Deston was brought on as an emergency option while we were waiting to see how the LeQuint situation was going to play out. So I'm not totally shocked with this development after getting a new staff. Wish him well.
This is a nice thought. On top of that if we had RB's lost to injuries some would have complained about not having enough. Daniels and Parkmann was not ready to carry the load.

Nah. You need athletes with size to fill out teams. If Hawkins filled that role it’s fine. Ike Daniels could’ve stood there too and done nothing just the same. Not really an indictment on anybody.

Either way I don’t care who leaves but we do need roll players.

Side note we’ve historically had pretty decent jucos. It was clear however last off-season we had a lot of open spots and had to fill them. It was an indictment of the staff and their ability to recruit and manage a roster.
I’m not saying we don’t need role players. But I’d rather our role players be special teams aces or RF LB/DB/WR/RB’s about to break through than guys like this. To your point, that speaks to roster mismanagement more than anything.

This is a nice thought. On top of that if we had RB's lost to injuries some would have complained about not having enough. Daniels and Parkmann was not ready to carry the load.
Actually I totally forgot about Parkmann - that’s a valid point. But to have to bring on 2 obscure JUCO RB’s is a bit of a stretch.

Actually I totally forgot about Parkmann - that’s a valid point. But to have to bring on 2 obscure JUCO RB’s is a bit of a stretch.
Yeah I didnt understand it either but Im sure there are reasons why they grabbed two. I wish we knew the reason.

All due respect for the kid, but I hope the other JUCO back JJ Branham is next. Seems like it would be in the best interest of both parties. We need the scholarship to upgrade the roster and I’m sure JJ doesn’t want to spend the rest of his college career as the 5th RB off the bench.

All due respect for the kid, but I hope the other JUCO back JJ Branham is next. Seems like it would be in the best interest of both parties. We need the scholarship to upgrade the roster and I’m sure JJ doesn’t want to spend the rest of his college career as the 5th RB off the bench.
I could see Branham being a guy that stays on scholarship so he can finish his degree but doesn't have a roster spot under the new head coach exception.

As I recall, it seemed like Deston was brought on as an emergency option while we were waiting to see how the LeQuint situation was going to play out. So I'm not totally shocked with this development after getting a new staff. Wish him well.

Yeah they brought in Branham to. You’re right, the LA situation, things were dire at the time with the RB spot.

I could see Branham being a guy that stays on scholarship so he can finish his degree but doesn't have a roster spot under the new head coach exception.
Still trying to figure out how this exception works…. Couldn’t a team just tell everyone that they’re now on an academic scholarship and will have to try out to walk on the team? Great way to game the system imo.

Still trying to figure out how this exception works…. Couldn’t a team just tell everyone that they’re now on an academic scholarship and will have to try out to walk on the team? Great way to game the system imo.
No, they can't be on the team. It's a condition of the scholarship being honored.

This ^^^people are not completely recalling our bad RB situation at one point last year.

If he was a core special teams guy instead of a freshman, there is nothing wrong with that. They knew Parkman was out for the year.
Core special team guy who got cut. Hmm makes a lot of sense.

To be fair I didn't call him out by name. I just grouped the whole west coast juco hail mary roster fillers as an indictment on the program.

Oh I agree and was doing the same thing.

Imagine how dire it would have been if LQA didn't sue the University. Core special teamer and all, i think it's safe to say we would have been in big trouble.

We would never know cause Babers doesn’t give the #2 back any carries. Deleone always went 2 deep and the 3rd guy would get token carries. I think the new staff will give two backs regular carries. Looking forward to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom