Devito activated | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Devito activated

This board will go to great lengths to knock this kid down.

SMH
In retrospect, Dino's biggest failure as a coach was having an NFL-caliber QB and not being able to give him an Oline that was at least serviceable.

If you have an NFL-caliber QB, you should have a good team. Full stop.

His 8 year tenure should have been quite different and would have been if he had been able to give this kid any protection whatsoever.

To his credit, he did a great job of teaching Devito how to survive and operate behind a horrific oline.

As to the legion of posters who planted their flag on the "Devito is a shi!!y QB" hill, welcome to Little Big Horn, General Custer. You've all been overrun.

In retrospect, Dino's biggest failure as a coach was having an NFL-caliber QB and not being able to give him an Oline that was at least serviceable.

His 8 year tenure should have been quite different and would have been if he had been able to give this kid any protection whatsoever.

To his credit, he did a great job of teaching Devito how to survive and operate behind a horrific oline.

As to the legion of posters who planted their flag on the "Devito is a shi!!y QB" hill, welcome to Little Big Horn, General Custer. You've all been overrun.
Line 2 - absolutely nailed it.

good post except that last line which is ridiculous.

Rather Many of us saw what you infer that he'd NEVER succeed here with his skill set. Not that he wasn't "good" but that as a college qb he'd be lacking what it takes to get a team great or even put a team on his back to get wins (exactly what happened btw here and Il.). Furthermore some saw he'd have a crack at the next level and been pulling for him every bit of the way lately:

We all Monday Morning QB.

For our tempo teams, it took a LOT of time in practice, to execute. That takes time from other things. Blitz pick up wasnt a priority. From 2016-2018 we scored a TON of points. "Good enough" was OK.

It all came back to bite us in 2019. Tempo couldn't get going, and teams just brought the house. You can blame Devito for holding it too long. You can blame 2 dives, and a BOMB play calling. Maybe our WRs weren't getting open enough... Our line was asked to do things which had been less of a focus..

Plenty of blame pie, to go around. It had been "working" for 3 years, and a 10 win season. Without the right pieces, it fell apart.

We all agree. Devito needs the right pieces. He wasnt without fault. Nor was the staff, holding on to a scheme that didn't suit the Talent they had. Lack of developement and ability to adapt became the recurring theme.

good post except that last line which is ridiculous.

Rather Many of us saw what you infer that he'd NEVER succeed here with his skill set. Not that he wasn't "good" but that as a college qb he'd be lacking what it takes to get a team great or even put a team on his back to get wins (exactly what happened btw here and Il.). Furthermore some saw he'd have a crack at the next level and been pulling for him every bit of the way lately:

Not talking about the people who (correctly) caveated the fact that he cannot do what Dungey and Shrader can do because of their ability to use their legs or that he needs a clean pocket to be successful.

I'm talking about the ones who simply said he sucks as a QB.

Big difference.

Not talking about the people who (correctly) caveated the fact that he cannot do what Dungey and Shrader can do because of their ability to use their legs or that he needs a clean pocket to be successful.

I'm talking about the ones who simply said he sucks as a QB.

Big difference.
Heres the thing about his legs, he’s not Eli or Peyton back there, and he’s also not Jeremy Shockey. He’s a quarterback, a semi-mobile QB with a big arm.

To me, the running stuff is a crappy excuse filled argument.

If Dino had a brain, he finds a way to scheme around a rifle arm. We don’t need an NFL brian and readiness, we need 5k in the air and whole lot of deep balls with a conveyer belt of yardage QBs who don’t sniff the NFL. He should’ve been the 1st.

His 2019 #s aren’t that bad, then he basically never played again here. It’s a shame.

Why would qbr use sacks? It’s a passing rating. And sacks can be caused by anyone. Tommy was responsible for a couple but the OL and Barkley were responsible for many.

Of the nine the ratings people gave six to Tommy. It's part of who he is.

Or maybe as an analyst said it’s part of getting more and more snaps. He’s been a starter for two weeks getting starter snaps. It’s a development process and the speed of everything.

Or maybe as an analyst said it’s part of getting more and more snaps. He’s been a starter for two weeks getting starter snaps. It’s a development process and the speed of everything.

I'm happy they won.

He also played against a replacement level d line that just traded Sweat and Young, and he got an extra five turnovers - and even then it was a one possession game.

Against a real team that doesn't turn it over it's unacceptable to take that many sacks. Which is what he did here. And the next guy was better.

I would like to know what the criteria are.

Some were definitely on him holding onto the ball too long but some of those sacks, he had less than 2 seconds to throw (yes, I counted during the replay).

I would like to know what the criteria are.

Some were definitely on him holding onto the ball too long but some of those sacks, he had less than 2 seconds to throw (yes, I counted during the replay).

It was in The Athletic:

The biggest area DeVito needs to improve is his pocket presence. He was sacked nine times by the Commanders, and coach Brian Daboll repeatedly mentioned after the game that the sacks weren’t all the fault of the offensive line.

Pro Football Focus assigned two of the sacks to offensive linemen (left guard Justin Pugh, center John Michael Schmitz) and one to running back Saquon Barkley. That means six of the sacks were attributed to DeVito.

Heres the thing about his legs, he’s not Eli or Peyton back there, and he’s also not Jeremy Shockey. He’s a quarterback, a semi-mobile QB with a big arm.

To me, the running stuff is a crappy excuse filled argument.

If Dino had a brain, he finds a way to scheme around a rifle arm. We don’t need an NFL brian and readiness, we need 5k in the air and whole lot of deep balls with a conveyer belt of yardage QBs who don’t sniff the NFL. He should’ve been the 1st.

His 2019 #s aren’t that bad, then he basically never played again here. It’s a shame.

Often overlooked in a disappointing 2019 season was how bad the defense was. #115 in the country at 464 yards per games.

They had their moments, Liberty, NC State, Duke, and then they had their non-moments, Maryland, BC, Louisville.

Wasn't a big surprise that Dino demoted the OC and fired the DC after that season.

I'm happy they won.

He also played against a replacement level d line that just traded Sweat and Young, and he got an extra five turnovers - and even then it was a one possession game.

Against a real team that doesn't turn it over it's unacceptable to take that many sacks. Which is what he did here. And the next guy was better.

Shrader takes a ton of sacks too. 33 his first season when he didn’t become the starter till game 4.

It was in The Athletic:

The biggest area DeVito needs to improve is his pocket presence. He was sacked nine times by the Commanders, and coach Brian Daboll repeatedly mentioned after the game that the sacks weren’t all the fault of the offensive line.

Pro Football Focus assigned two of the sacks to offensive linemen (left guard Justin Pugh, center John Michael Schmitz) and one to running back Saquon Barkley. That means six of the sacks were attributed to DeVito.

Yepp. That sounds right. Giants schemed guys wide open, so Devito was able to bail himself out, with his arm.

It will be interesting to see if Belichick shuts him down. Its entirely possible. Devito could also have another good day. I'll be watching.

It was in The Athletic:

I definitely agree with that. He does take sacks that he shouldn't.

I wish I had kept track and written it down.

Every time he got sacked, during the replay I counted how many seconds it took to get to him and it seemed like it was less than two seconds for more than three...

I'm happy they won.

And I’d disagree with PFFs counting. He got blown up twice by missed Barkley blocks on blitzes. And if mentor serves me, Pugh gave up two. I think the announcers mentioned it. But yes, Tommy was responsible for some. And the giants have a useless OL.

And I’d disagree with PFFs counting. He got blown up twice by missed Barkley blocks on blitzes. And if mentor serves me, Pugh gave up two. I think the announcers mentioned it. But yes, Tommy was responsible for some. And the giants have a useless OL.

It's who is his. First game with Taylor back there the WAS team had four, three of them by guys they traded (Sweat and Young). Taylor was sacked three times against the Bills.

The Giants need someone not getting paid by the Giants to be their QB going forward.

It's who is his. First game with Taylor back there the WAS team had four, three of them by guys they traded (Sweat and Young). Taylor was sacked three times against the Bills.

The Giants need someone not getting paid by the Giants to be their QB going forward.
I'm curious if that is still who he is...

Saquan ran for -2 yds, the 1st half- no help. Devito took FIVE sacks, the 1st Q. It had all the makings of a disaster. EVERYONE was surprised about how good Tommy was on 3rd and LONG. (Perfect 158.3 qbr) He cleaned up some sacks as the game progressed. 3rd and Long is the last spot you ever want to put ANY Rookie QB in.

Cuse Devito would have started throwing it away, or kept taking sacks. (Partially scheme based)

Belichick is notorious for messing with rookie QBs. I was impressed with the Giants situational play calling for Devito. If both those remain true, we may get a better picture of who Tommy is now.

Good lord move this thread to the other sports board.

The “Tommy’s dad DM’d me” contingent is LOUD.

We get it. You all win. Tommy Soprano was a misunderstood Drake Maye here and you are coming back to cash in your Tommy chips. He’s about to lead the G-Men to a 9-8 finish.

Now whip up the Internet Archive machine and harken back to your prognostications about Eric Williams and let’s be done with this thread.

Good lord move this thread to the other sports board.

We get it. You all win. Tommy Soprano was a misunderstood Drake Maye here and you are coming back to cash in your Tommy chips. He’s about to lead the G-Men to a 9-8 finish.

Now whip up the Internet Archive machine and harken back to your prognostications about Eric Williams and let’s be done with this thread.
spoken like a "tommy is a D3 player" poster.

it should be on the OT Board though.

hes a UDFA scout team player calling his Illinois coach to talk about things.

love what hes doing though.

spoken like a "tommy is a D3 player" poster.

it should be on the OT Board though.

hes a UDFA scout team player calling his Illinois coach to talk about things.

love what hes doing though.

I’ll eat all the Tommy Crow Gabalagool in the world if this thread just gets moved.

I promise.

My son really said that he thinks the Giants can go 9-8. I don’t know if I’m the best or worst dad for instilling that kind of hope.

PS: how about those Rangers!

Apologies for any offense.

Tommy is 1 TD away from being the sole owner, of the 2cnd best NFL QB to ever wear an Orange Uniform. I think that's relevant.

You are correct, though. Mr. Devito introduced himself to me, when my son was being recruited to be Orange. I didn't even know who his son was. He was ALWAYS there, talking to parents of recruits that the staff told him to target. He may have been an A**** on this board. He was a good ambassador, in person. He helped make a bunch of players Orange. I know the family well.

College football can turn into a political mess($$$). Y'all have no idea. Dino Babers is one of the finest human beings to EVER coach the game. Most are BS, stereotypical used car salesman. Of this? There is NO question.

It is of particular interest, to present, and former players(and their parents, lol) as to how Tommy Devito does in the NFL... If by extension, that means something to you? Cool. Otherwise, move it to another board. I think players want to know how well they were coached.

I for one, am terribly intrigued. ;-)

Its one of the BEST stories in the NFL. The kid(and his family) bled Orange.

Last edited: