Devito activated | Page 32 | Syracusefan.com

Devito activated

It's kind of funny, but I find that I claim one year, grad transfer types, that play their final year in basketball or football as a Syracuse player... I don't think of Cole Swider as a Villanova player in the NBA. Yet, I see all these listings (i.e. Syracuse quarterbacks with the most wins) claiming DeVito as an SU quarterback. I don't know, it's a weird landscape. If Joe Girard got drafted in the NBA (this is being used as a hypothetical example, not as as an expectation, haha) he would be listed as a Clemson player in the league, correct? It feels incorrect to me for Syracuse fans to try & claim DeVito as a Syracuse player in the NFL...
I agree. I wouldnt call Tommy a Syracuse product. but thats just me.

Exacty the O line was coached poorly. Blitiz pick up has nothing to do with tempo. Cav just coached it poorly. I agree Tommy is managing the game well. He doesnt throw ints. He would rather take a sack. You can win games that way. Credit to the coaches for finding a way run an efficent offense with him. He is showing what he always shown and thats being a pretty effcient QB when given the protection and not thrown in situations where he has to come back.

People said he had a NFL arm coming out of HS. All these 4 star QB's have the upside. Most of them dont pan out. Tommy is making the most of his situation and having fun out there.
In practice it did. Instead of running a BPU session, we worked on Tempo. Only so much time.

Maybe that came from the top. Dunno. Tempo was the priority. Not fundamental BPU. When we did add that, perhaps Cav coached it poorly, but its also something that I think takes constant practice, time, and developement. While that philosophy was acceptable when tempo was effective? It all fell apart when it wasn't, and some fundamental flaws in the oline, developement and how we allocated practice time priorities were painfully exposed.

Serious question. I know it’s been discussed, but now that the kid has actually played in the NFL, which is an achievement no matter what happens from this point forward, do we think this is damming on Syracuse and Dino?

We know that DeVito didn’t have a line or receivers and got killed, but he never seemed to have the ability to function in the pocket at all.

So, how much is on Dino and Tommy’s decision to attend Cuse rather than a different school from the start? It would seem a lot.

Discuss.
Exacty the O line was coached poorly. Blitiz pick up has nothing to do with tempo. Cav just coached it poorly. I agree Tommy is managing the game well. He doesnt throw ints. He would rather take a sack. You can win games that way. Credit to the coaches for finding a way run an efficent offense with him. He is showing what he always shown and thats being a pretty effcient QB when given the protection and not thrown in situations where he has to come back.

People said he had a NFL arm coming out of HS. All these 4 star QB's have the upside. Most of them dont pan out. Tommy is making the most of his situation and having fun out there.
I am glad DeVito is having some success. He is fortunate that he is coming in after the Giants got some oline issues fixed. I don't follow the Giants regularly but happened to watch a game earlier in the year and Jones was getting absolutely destroyed. I assume they made some scheme changes as well. DeVito doesn't scare me as a runner but he looked great running last night. Good for him.

I agree. I wouldnt call Tommy a Syracuse product. but thats just me.

Agreed. I think part of the issue was we didn't develop him because we didn't put him in a position to succeed.

He's also figured out his reads and progressions on reads a lot better (something he struggled with here).

Agreed. I think part of the issue was we didn't develop him because we didn't put him in a position to succeed.

He's also figured out his reads and progressions on reads a lot better (something he struggled with here).
he is being asked to make 1 read and go with it.. He isnt being asked to look over the field.. But you see lots of NFL teams doing that now with some success.. Check down and try to have a guy that can at least move the chains forward..

Much like our wildcat.. More plays that went 2-3 forward and not 0 to -3 help an offense.

It would work even better for the Giants if the TE wasnt hurt.

Dont ask him to win games.. try to get him in spots to not lose games.

In practice it did. Instead of running a BPU session, we worked on Tempo. Only so much time.

Maybe that came from the top. Dunno. Tempo was the priority. Not fundamental BPU. When we did add that, perhaps Cav coached it poorly, but its also something that I think takes constant practice, time, and developement. While that philosophy was acceptable when tempo was effective? It all fell apart when it wasn't, and some fundamental flaws in the oline, developement and how we allocated practice time priorities were painfully exposed.
SU had the same results when they went slower. Bad execution is not a product of tempo. You can execuate bad at slow or fast tempos.

Hard to believe anyone in the coaching profession would ever use tempo as an exuse to not work on blitz pick up. Those are two different things. Maybe they didnt work on blitzes often enough and thats why the struggles there. Fast tempo teams dont go into a game thinking they dont have to execute well because they play fast.

Im a HS coach the first thing we do is work on the opponents most common blitz packages. We run plays against them from our 5 yard line going out. Im pretty sure that's common in HS. Dino's staff did not use tempo over fundamentals and techniques. There is just no way. The offense would have been way worse and they would have been fired 8 years ago if thats the case lol.

he is being asked to make 1 read and go with it.. He isnt being asked to look over the field.. But you see lots of NFL teams doing that now with some success.. Check down and try to have a guy that can at least move the chains forward..

Much like our wildcat.. More plays that went 2-3 forward and not 0 to -3 help an offense.

It would work even better for the Giants if the TE wasnt hurt.

Dont ask him to win games.. try to get him in spots to not lose games.

Agreed... Giants are keeping it simple... I was more talking about his time at Illinois where he appeared to do more reads and pass selection (tho my time watching him play there was limited.)

He is good at not trying to do too much... which is exactly what the giants need right now... let the other team make turnovers and win by attrition... and he delivered a couple clutch passes last night when it mattered.

Tommy D. NY Post Back Cover.jpg

The corner TD throw was nice , the throw at the end that iced it was nice.. the decision to throw the flea flicker into double coverage was not but got away with it.

Make good decisions is good.

SU had the same results when they went slower. Bad execution is not a product of tempo. You can execuate bad at slow or fast tempos.

Hard to believe anyone in the coaching profession would ever use tempo as an exuse to not work on blitz pick up. Those are two different things. Maybe they didnt work on blitzes often enough and thats why the struggles there. Fast tempo teams dont go into a game thinking they dont have to execute well because they play fast.

Im a HS coach the first thing we do is work on the opponents most common blitz packages. We run plays against them from our 5 yard line going out. Im pretty sure that's common in HS. Dino's staff did not use tempo over fundamentals and techniques. There is just no way. The offense would have been way worse and they would have been fired 8 years ago if thats the case lol.
We didn't have focus on BPU until a few games into 19.

Source: Many Syracuse offensive linemen.

If you want to say that was part an excuse on their end? OK. Fair. But they certainly started focusing on that during 19 season. Not a high priority before that. Perhaps the reality is somewhere in between. With how poorly it was executed, its something that should have been identified much earlier. On that, I think we can both agree.

Indeed. Tempo took time from developing BPU in practice - until it didn't- but it was too late.

Oline development was poor, and why Cav got the Axe.

Tommy certainly had issues, here, no question. I don't think play calling always put him in the best spot to succeed. That was a common LOUD complaint around here. Dabol seems to have adapted to what Tommy can do well. With a different mindset, I'd like to think that could have happened here. Hindsight is 20/20, but its obvious Devito had a high upside.

Very interesting. The top two QB's are Mr. Irrelevant and a practice squad QB. What does that say about NFL scouting.

I do think DeVito's NFL success suggests some coaching issues we had.

I'll also say it's possible that Tommy is better suited for the NFL game than he was for college. You see that more in the NBA than the NFL, but his strengths are more apparent in the NFL and his weaknesses at least so far don't seem to be as big of a deal.

I'm glad people are having fun with this. The NFL needed something like it. It's been a boring season in the NFL if we're being honest.

Agree with this. He’s the complete opposite of Manzel, who was great at improv in college and failed spectacularly in the NFL. Devito protects the ball, doesn’t take crazy chances, and has enough arm strength and accuracy to make throws when needed. His style is a better fit in the NFL.

We didn't have focus on BPU until a few games into 19.

Source: Many Syracuse offensive linemen.

If you want to say that was part an excuse on their end? OK. Fair. But they certainly started focusing on that during 19 season. Not a high priority before that. Perhaps the reality is somewhere in between. With how poorly it was executed, its something that should have been identified much earlier. On that, I think we can both agree.
You are getting confused. Im not arguing that they didnt do a good enough job preparing the O line for blitizes. Thats obvious. Im saying blitz protection has nothing to do with tempo. Thats not some shared philopshy that uptempo teams have.

You are getting confused. Im not arguing that they didnt do a good enough job preparing the O line for blitizes. Thats obvious. Im saying blitz protection has nothing to do with tempo. Thats not some shared philopshy that uptempo teams have.
I'm saying they allocated the practice time to tempo. BPU wasn't a big concern.

With protections, bpu, being less important, FAR less practice time was spent on it, than a traditional team. (Not saying I agree with this). But YEAH. Tempo teams practice differently. At least we did. We spent time going fast, instead of figuring out how to take care of the blitz.

Again. I dont agree with this(its . Just sharing what players told me.

Geoff Scwartz, 8 year NFL lineman, and coached by Chip Kelly in Oregon:

By operating at such a ridiculously fast clip, college offenses have negated the importance of the blockers up front making specific identifications and picking up intricate blitzes, which are skills that continue to be vital in the pros.

“You’re running at such a high tempo that teams aren’t going to twist and blitz because you’re moving so fast. Defenders are so tired.”

Titans general manager Jon Robinson says that the goal of many college practices is “going for quantity,” with teams using that time as a way to hone their ability to move lightning fast come game day. To wit: When Schwartz played at Oregon under then-first-year offensive coordinator Chip Kelly, he says that watching practice film had almost no value. The scout team could barely line up before the ball was snapped. And while college coaches doing their best Ricky Bobby impression is outrageously fun to watch, it’s caused linemen to lack technical skills and knowledge of schemes and protections that would allow them to smoothly transition from the NCAA to the pros.

I'm saying they allocated the practice time to tempo. BPU wasn't a big concern.

With protections, bpu, being less important, FAR less practice time was spent on it, than a traditional team. (Not saying I agree with this). But YEAH. Tempo teams practice differently. At least we did. We spent time going fast, instead of figuring out how to take care of the blitz.

Again. I dont agree with this(its . Just sharing what players told me.

Geoff Scwartz, 8 year NFL lineman, and coached by Chip Kelly in Oregon:

By operating at such a ridiculously fast clip, college offenses have negated the importance of the blockers up front making specific identifications and picking up intricate blitzes, which are skills that continue to be vital in the pros.

“You’re running at such a high tempo that teams aren’t going to twist and blitz because you’re moving so fast. Defenders are so tired.”

Titans general manager Jon Robinson says that the goal of many college practices is “going for quantity,” with teams using that time as a way to hone their ability to move lightning fast come game day. To wit: When Schwartz played at Oregon under then-first-year offensive coordinator Chip Kelly, he says that watching practice film had almost no value. The scout team could barely line up before the ball was snapped. And while college coaches doing their best Ricky Bobby impression is outrageously fun to watch, it’s caused linemen to lack technical skills and knowledge of schemes and protections that would allow them to smoothly transition from the NCAA to the pros.
Blitz pick up should have been worked on more with Cav but you are using that to sum up the offense as a whole. Blitz pro is just one phase of offensive line play. Not the whole offense.

Up tempo teams practice faster between sessions and during team. They do nothing else different. They run the same plays as everyone else. Just different language and pace. Weve all seen clips of them doing Indy group work (7v7 inside run, outside run/perimeter screens). They didn't just emphasize speed and ignore ignored fundamentals. That’s an extreme thought. Remember I have sources too.

Syracuse struggled with all types of offenses the last 20 years. Using how fast they line up on the ball as the reason they struggled is totally wrong. You have to practice fast when you are playing at the speed they play. You have to simulate real game play. It doesn’t mean there isn’t an emphasize on fundamentals and techniques between the whistles or during walk throughs, Indy and group class meetings etc.

From Pop Warner, HS to college teams. They barely huddle these days. Does that hurt fundamentals too?

Last edited:
This is spot on. Dabol said in the postgame presser that pocket presence and awareness is something they’ve worked on heavily. It’s a big part of what he lacked here, although to be fair he took a beating and spent so much time running for his life that it had to have a cumulative impact.
They did something in 3 weeks that Dino and company couldn’t in 3 years.

Blitz pick up should have been worked on more with Cav but you are using that to sum up the offense as a whole. Blitz pro is just one phase of offensive line play. Not the whole offense.

Up tempo teams practice faster between sessions and during team. They do nothing else different. They run the same plays as everyone else. Just different language and pace. Weve all seen clips of them doing Indy group work (7v7 inside run, outside run/perimeter screens). They didn't just emphasize speed and ignore ignored fundamentals. That’s an extreme thought. Remember I have sources too.

Syracuse struggled with all types of offenses the last 20 years. Using how fast they line up on the ball as the reason they struggled is totally wrong. You have to practice fast when you are playing at the speed they play. You have to simulate real game play. It doesn’t mean there isn’t an emphasize on fundamentals and techniques between the whistles or during walk throughs, Indy and group class meetings etc.

From Pop Warner, HS to college teams. They barely huddle these days. Does that hurt fundamentals too?
Just sharing a frustration that was shared with me. They were very pissed about it.

Just sharing a frustration that was shared with me. They were very pissed about it.
I get it. Im sure there’s merit to your thoughts but there’s two sides to a story. Players have a different perspective on things. They don’t always see the moving parts around them.

I know that others echo me (or am I echoing them?). That was the first full NFL game I've watched in over 10 years. Not even Super Bowls. I hate the half-time shows. Last night's game was flat-out fun. TD's grown up from when he was here. We have to remember that college football is all just a bunch of kids.