Devito activated | Page 33 | Syracusefan.com

Devito activated

They did something in 3 weeks that Dino and company couldn’t in 3 years.
Dino often gets credit for developing Garoppolo. No way to measure his share of Jimmy's success. Also Tommy, for better or for worse, was influenced by his coaching at the Cuse. Growing in the mental phase, physically maturing, and getting on the field college experience. I believe that Dino was part of DeVito's development.

DeVito's blowing the Giants' draft.
Exhibit A in that only management can tank by putting out a bad roster. The players will never tank, especially in the Not For Long

Dino often gets credit for developing Garoppolo. No way to measure his share of Jimmy's success. Also Tommy, for better or for worse, was influenced by his coaching at the Cuse. Growing in the mental phase, physically maturing, and getting on the field college experience. I believe that Dino was part of DeVito's development.
Top 11 guy to leaving because he lost his starting job to a guy who can’t throw a ball then goes and plays well elsewhere enough to show he can get a contract. Sorry. Dino hindered his growth.

Serious question. I know it’s been discussed, but now that the kid has actually played in the NFL, which is an achievement no matter what happens from this point forward, do we think this is damming on Syracuse and Dino?

We know that DeVito didn’t have a line or receivers and got killed, but he never seemed to have the ability to function in the pocket at all.

So, how much is on Dino and Tommy’s decision to attend Cuse rather than a different school from the start? It would seem a lot.

Discuss.
1702418937557.jpeg

I really hope he gets a reality show. We need this.

As to his game, it is all of the above. It is ok to say that.

We weren't going to win many games with him throwing for 198 ypg (current 3 game W streak) or 199 ypg (Illinois stats). What he is doing now and what he did at Illinois is similar to what he did vs FSU in 2018. We recruited him to be so much more than that. Dino's system required him to be so much more than that. Even in 2021 we gave him a chance to be what he is now and he failed miserably.

He has grown since then mostly thanks to Daboll. It took a very good QB guru just to make him serviceable.
Nonsense his line and WRs were garbage and his good throws regularly dropped.

He couldn’t win games single handedly for us.

The Taj TD drop against Notre Dame sort of signaled what was to come and his time here.

It’s only the last year you can get on him. 2019 he was our best player problem was everyone had ridiculous expectations for everyone him included after the UNC cameo. 2020 was a disaster all around and shamefully bad team.

Nonsense his line and WRs were garbage and his good throws regularly dropped.

He couldn’t win games single handedly for us.

The Taj TD drop against Notre Dame sort of signaled what was to come and his time here.

It’s only the last year you can get on him. 2019 he was our best player problem was everyone had ridiculous expectations for everyone him included after the UNC cameo. 2020 was a disaster all around and shamefully bad team.
He got most of his stats in 2019 in garbage time. He also was sacked more often all 4 years vs the other QBs. I don’t recall the dropped passes.

It is ok to call a spade a spade.

Listen, just hang on to this rocket ship as long as you can and enjoy the ride.

We all take sports too seriously, this is a time where we can all just enjoy Tommy’s play and the hilarious absurdity that is surrounding it.

It’s great. Giants are winning. Tommy and his family are embracing it. The fans love it.

Whatever happens after this, he’ll, at worst, be an nfl backup with a really fun story.

Geez, that's a legit highlight film.
Yepp. So is his Washington reel. The one they put the Sopranos theme over, which has become his entry music. 3 games in a row, with over 100 passing rating. (2 halves near perfect)

In some ways, it reminds me of the stretch Tebow had with Denver. He'd play terrible the whole game, and put together the most improbable finish for the win... It was crazy. The difference? Tommy hasn't been playing terrible, AND he can actually throw the ball. It just seems impossible that he's put together a 3 game streak on a team that was left for dead... Practice squad QBs are almost never the answer, yet here we are. Best story in the NFL.

Unlike my Tebow analogy- which was, indeed, crazy- Tommy is exceeding expectations, and earning himself a future. Its gone from cute story, to this kid is alright!

Last edited:
Yepp. So is his Washington reel. The one they put the Sopranos theme over, which has become his entry music. 3 games in a row, with over 100 passing rating. (2 halfs near perfect)

In some ways, it reminds me of the stretch Tebow had with Denver. He'd play terrible the whole game, and put together the most improbable finish for the win... It was crazy. The difference? Tommy hasn't been playing terrible, AND he can actually throw the ball. It just seems impossible that he's put together a 3 game streak on a team that was left for dead... Practice squad QBs are almost never the answer, yet here we are. Best story in the NFL.

Unlike my Tebow analogy- which was, indeed, crazy- Tommy is exceeding expectations, and earning himself a future. Its gone from cute story, to this kid is alright!
I feel like the NFL gave up on Tebow too soon. He could have worked. NFL is fairly closed minded though.

Devito would have the highest sack percentage in the league if he qualified

It sucks that college is so bad about sack numbers

Great arm, eats the ball too much might just be a bigger problem in the NFL than college because the NFL is lower scoring? Not as big a deal to punt? I'm not sure

I agree. I wouldnt call Tommy a Syracuse product. but thats just me.
Completely understandable.

Tommy was here FIVE years. An entire college career. He would have been benched his SR year. If it wasn't for the extra Covid year, he may have been installing Peerless Boilers with his Dad. He took advantage of the year, a little fortune that turned in his favor, and is a half decent NFL QB.

5 years Orange? Good enough for me. ;-)

Tommy was here FIVE years. An entire college career. He would have been benched his SR year. If it wasn't for the extra Covid year, he may have been installing Peerless Boilers with his Dad. He took advantage of the year, a little fortune that turned in his favor, and is a half decent NFL QB.

So far, every time I have heard announcers mention his college background they say both Syracuse and Illinois.

What are you talking about? He finished his career at Illnois. I said that because I feel we dont deserve to claim him now that he's had some NFL success. You have to stop being so defensive my guy

What are you talking about? He finished his career at Illnois. I said that because I feel we dont deserve to claim him now that he's had some NFL success. You have to stop being so defensive my guy

Didn’t you say earlier that you wouldnt call Tommy a Syracuse product - “ but thats just me”. Now you’re getting bent someone doesn’t agree with you? When he specifically said he completely understands your position?

You may want to take your own advice and stop being so defensive, since you are clearly the one with the problem here. Honestly you’ve been combative, defensive, and irritating with all your comments to this post.

Just love him cuz he was Orange for 5 years.. Glad he had the covid year... ;-]

Didn’t you say earlier that you wouldnt call Tommy a Syracuse product - “ but thats just me”. Now you’re getting bent someone doesn’t agree with you? When he specifically said he completely understands your position?

You may want to take your own advice and stop being so defensive, since you are clearly the one with the problem here. Honestly you’ve been combative, defensive, and irritating with all your comments to this post.
I dont mind. There's a few people I don't mind busting my chops, if they think I said something foolish, and he's one of them. Some of our discussion is just an extension of private ones, that we couldn't share on the board. All good ;-)

Last edited:
I dont mind. There's a few people I don't mind busting my chops, if they think I said something foolish, and he's one of them. All good. ;-)
Happy for Tommy but I don't consider him as from Syracuse, he went to Illinois.
That's where his credit should go to.

What? Im saying SU cant say they are the reason why he is having success in the NFL. Its not a slight on Tommy lol. You understand what Im sayin now?

Happy for Tommy but I don't consider him as from Syracuse, he went to Illinois.
That's where his credit should go to.
Not sure why this is hard to understand. I would love to claim him but he left and had success somewhere else. Then he earned a NFL roster spot. IMO we dont deserve to claim him.