Devito INT stat | Syracusefan.com

Devito INT stat

Reyes39

2nd String
Just saw on ESPN bottom line that Devito hasn't thrown an INT in 167 pass attempts, last one being Sept 28th vs Holy Cross.

Doesn't mean much and a small % of those were downfield, but I still was surprised and had no clue.

Just saw on ESPN bottom line that Devito hasn't thrown an INT in 167 pass attempts, last one being Sept 28th vs Holy Cross.

Doesn't mean much and a small % of those were downfield, but I still was surprised and had no clue.
I honestly believe that TD worries about this stat and it negatively effects his decision making.

He won't throw a 50/50 ball.
So he's a game manager?

Statistically the same season as Dungy last year, passing wise, actually better in some categories.

The difference this year vs last is about 900 yards rushing. 600 of the 900 is from Dungy v TD rushing.

Eric was a game changer with his fearlessness and his legs.

But TD is a good QB, and he gets a bad rap on here because his game is different from Eric's.

No one likes to follow a legend.

So he's a game manager?

Statistically the same season as Dungy last year, passing wise, actually better in some categories.

The difference this year vs last is about 900 yards rushing. 600 of the 900 is from Dungy v TD rushing.

Eric was a game changer with his fearlessness and his legs.

But TD is a good QB, and he gets a bad rap on here because his game is different from Eric's.

No one likes to follow a legend.
Devito wrecked the passer rating stat because of all the throws he didn't make. He was fine as a soph on the passes he did throw. Not sure he'll ever really get it but he could be good enough if the stars align, but so could lots of guys

You don't get any pass interference calls when you throw the ball away where no one has a chance to catch it. Like yesterday on 3rd down late in the game in a game you have to win to keep the bowl hopes alive. Throw it into coverage and let your receiver have a chance to make a play on it or get a PI call. If it's intercepted, that is acceptable in that situation. I think that's what Dino thought.

How good is Tommy Devito anyway? How much better is he going to get? How much of these offensive debacles are his fault?

These are questions that I have asked myself as I have watched each game.

Many of us, I think, were heavily influenced by his stunning success last year spelling Dungey in games. And there have been times this year when I thought the kid was going to emerge.

In order to figure out just how good he was and would be, I started to compare him to the opposing QB in each game. What better place to compare? Same field, same conditions, etc.

In the Pitt game, it seemed to me that their QB, Pickett, was actually quite a bit better than TD. He made better decisions and threw the ball at least as well. And Pickett isn't all that good.

The ball people are accusing Benson of dropping yesterday was thrown significantly behind him.

It’s too bad for SU because there doesn’t appear to be a Plan B as Welch is unlikely to be any kind of answer.

My wild axed guess is that DB pulled TD in that game because he didn’t trust him to make the right or even a good decision. And as bad as Welch is, he at least might make a god decision.

Last edited:
How good is Tommy Devito anyway? How much better is he going to get? How much of these offensive debacles are his fault?

Many of us, I think, were heavily influenced by his stunning success last year spelling Dungey in games. And there have been times this year when I thought the kid was going to emerge.

In order to figure out just how good he was and would be, I started to compare him to the opposing QB in each game. What better place to compare? Same field, same conditions, etc.

In the Pitt game, it seemed to me that their QB, Pickett, was actually quite a bit better than TD. He made better decisions and threw the ball at least as well. And Pickett isn't all that good.

The ball people are accusing Hackett of dropping yesterday was thrown significantly behind him.

It’s too bad for SU because there doesn’t appear to be a Plan B as Welch is unlikely to be any kind of answer.

My wild axed guess is that DB pulled TD in that game because he didn’t trust him to make the right or even a good decision. And as bad as Welch is, he at least might make a god decision.
Watched a little bit of the Temple-Cincinnati game and felt like the Temple QB was better, too. Don’t know how good TD is, but I’m not 100% sold that he is anything more than an average ACC QB.

The ball people are accusing Hackett of dropping yesterday was thrown significantly behind him.

It was Benson not Hackett that dropped the ball. And dungey threw that same ball last year and was caught by Custis. It’s not like no WR has ever had to catch a ball behind them.

I will say Tommy is not a bad qb. He’s just not a great or good one. He’s about average at best.

He’s not going to win you any extra games...but he also probably isn’t going to lose you any games either. This is why everyone on defense and offense has to have a stellar game in order for us to win.

Why we all struggle is we had a qb that was average last season at best but would have the intangible things that would win you games. That is something that Tommy unfortunately will never have and it’s not something that can be taught.

well the UL Qb is awful most of the time.. but then 3-4 times a game he has guys running 10yds open for huge plays. you watch enough football and you can see its not all about the stats.

Devito wrecked the passer rating stat because of all the throws he didn't make. He was fine as a soph on the passes he did throw. Not sure he'll ever really get it but he could be good enough if the stars align, but so could lots of guys
TD simply doesn't have a natural feel for the game. Everything looks forced.
If his first option isn't open or the play breaks down he doesn't possess the improvisation skills to make a play. I first noticed it during the ND game last year, and unfortunately, I haven't seen much growth.

Edit: I've been told he still has difficulty remembering the plays and check downs.

TD simply doesn't have a natural feel for the game. Everything looks forced.
If his first option isn't open or the play breaks down he doesn't possess the improvisation skills to make a play. I first noticed it during the ND game last year, and unfortunately, I haven't seen much growth.

Edit: I've been told he still has difficulty remembering the plays and check downs.
Is your edit from a friend of a friend or a direct source

Let’s just pretend that my unsupported theory is correct. That Dino came to the realization standing on the sidelines that the he didn’t trust the kid to make the right decision in this situation. Sure he was capable of throwing a beautiful ball, but not once during the season had he shown an ability to pull a rabbit out of a hat in pressure situations. In fact, it had almost always been the opposite.

The problems with the OL had obfuscated the QB problem.

And this isn’t a problem that’s easily fixable and which 11 games of play seem to have not impacted.

That leaves a Dino with one hell of a problem. He had lost faith in Plan A and he really has no Plan B. And he cannot admit to this. He’s pretty much got to keep his chips on TD.

We’ll see what happens in the off season with recruiting and JC and other transfers.

But from this point forward I’ll be listening to DB, but I’ll also be very carefully looking at what he does.

Putting Welch in that situation spoke more loudly than any press conference coach-speak.

Devito will learn and grow from this years trials and tribulations. Remember its his first year as a starter. Do I have some concerns with his play? Yes, some. But going into next year, he is by far not my top concern. Coaching, offensive line play and defense are my bigger concerns. Still believing we can qualify for a bowl game next season.

I don't know, I think people evaluate DeVito with moving goalposts.

He had some bad interceptions early in the season. People said that had to stop. It has stopped.

But people don't like the way it has stopped. Now some say he plays too safe, needs to take more risks throwing guys open. Or he throws it away too much or takes too many sacks. Which all is partly true at least, but he doesn't get credit for not throwing interceptions anymore.

And people had issue with his scrambling and sliding. Some said he needed to get better at recognizing when everybody is covered and learn to take off, and get the shoulder down instead of sliding. And he's done that. Seemingly every game for a while now he has tucked it on a 3rd or 4th down and fought to get the first down. That kind of gets ignored though.

The dude does some things incredibly well. He throws a beautiful, catchable deep ball. His accuracy is top notch, maybe to the point where it hurts him expectation wise, because he floats a ball a little bit to Harris that could have been a big play and it's a huge problem for our offense, when realistically that's not a pass many of our QBs ever showed they could make consistently.

He's not a perfect QB. When he's forced to roll out he struggles to make plays. He probably does play things a little safe sometimes. Outside of Jackson and Hackett, he doesn't seem to have good chemistry with any others in the passing game. He doesn't make the right call on RPO sometimes.

None of those things are unforgivable or things that he can't improve, and in terms of what skill is there, it's substantial. He gets next to no credit for it though, or for where he has made strides in season. There is also a belief by some at times that he can't or won't get better.

It's a bizarre narrative.

if he is forced to rollout then we need to have better designed plays becuase its not like he has anyone to even force it too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom