Devito... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Devito...

So the athletic reporter didn't have all the facts and started a rumor?
I believe so. I don't believe they ever actually mentioned having a source and other information they reported at the time ended up being inaccurate.

I believe so. I don't believe they ever actually mentioned having a source and other information they reported at the time ended up being inaccurate.
Interesting, I guess we shall see.

Interesting, I guess we shall see.
Yeah. I won't say it's impossible. It's just not a certainty. During that discussion there were some that said they thought Howard wanted to be closer to home, so a transfer would make sense there, if that's accurate. The emergence of Tucker may play a role too. If either Howard or Adams thought they would come back and step right into a starting role, that picture may have changed.

Today was not on devito ofcourse the play calling finally gets chugging along and the poor kid gets hurt on a successful drive. He definitely has problems with pocket presence and locking on receivers but his receivers failed him and the line failed him i mean come on cant be letting sacks happen when they are rushing 4. Ik its infuriating that every damn throw is a bomb but he showed on that last drive he could do the quick hits. I think larger piece of the pie is play calling.
t
i hope recovers and enters the transfer portal, if practicable. i say that only because ha has taken a horrible beating. he needs a ol that can give him sometime. will he have 2yrs of eligibility left?? if so, for his own health transfer out.

Let's be fair. He was part of the problem. Not throwing the ball away on numerous occasions and the awful QB sneak on fourth down contributed.
Yeah the lack of throwaways is mindboggling but those normally end up as inexplicable picks anyway.

the OL though is inexplicable...I mean we’re running up under center again and all the OL is half a yard or mote off the LOS anyway...hmm wonder what’s coming?!?

Last edited:
anyone that wants him to transfer is insane
really? i am more concerned for his safety, that is my reason for transfer not a lack of ability. i wonder how you would hold up given the punishment this kid has taken. he may flourish on a team that could protect him.

If transferring is the best for him and his family then he should do it, my question is which power 5 team have you seen this year where he would go and start for sure? It’s not a knock at him or his ability but thus far what school would he go at and unseat the current starter?

Devito's problem is he has no touch throwing...everything is a fastball.

Disagree. I have zero problems with his throwing. In fact, he’s one of the best we’ve ever had at it.

He doesn’t see the field, make good decisions, and can’t do anything on the run or under pressure. Not a good combo when your OL and WRs stink.

With how limited our play calling is, I find it comedic that people still question Tommy’s ability. The ability’s always been there.

Golden arm. Not a guy who can carry an offense though. His weaknesses combined with the offense’s weaknesses are just a disastrous combo.

Not a coincidence that he played significantly better in ‘18 when we had a better OL and Ish.

Put him behind the 2012 line with Pugh, and a couple solid veteran WRs in Sales and Lemon, and he probably has a pretty solid year.

Golden arm. Not a guy who can carry an offense though. His weaknesses combined with the offense’s weaknesses are just a disastrous combo.

Not a coincidence that he played significantly better in ‘18 when we had a better OL and Ish.

Put him behind the 2012 line with Pugh, and a couple solid veteran WRs in Sales and Lemon, and he probably has a pretty solid year.

We know Tommy very well by now. We know he doesn't scramble like Eric did, so why do we keep complaining that he doesn't. It's not what he is. We know he isn't great when forced to move, so why do we complain when he is forced to move out of the pocket and then doesn't have great success. We also know he can really pass the ball when given time and open receivers. He is an excellent pocket passer who could likely find 2nd and 3rd receivers if he had the time. As fans, we need to stop focusing on his failures when forced into situations that we already KNOW he doesn't do well in. I feel bad for the young man that has absolutely not had the tools he needs to do his job well. Whose fault is that? Mostly injuries, I think, but that is a different discussion.

You want him at RU, or nah?
still at it i see. how many season tickets do you have and where are they---just curious---or maybe you r a multi million donor( i really hope you r)

We know Tommy very well by now. We know he doesn't scramble like Eric did, so why do we keep complaining that he doesn't. It's not what he is. We know he isn't great when forced to move, so why do we complain when he is forced to move out of the pocket and then doesn't have great success. We also know he can really pass the ball when given time and open receivers. He is an excellent pocket passer who could likely find 2nd and 3rd receivers if he had the time. As fans, we need to stop focusing on his failures when forced into situations that we already KNOW he doesn't do well in. I feel bad for the young man that has absolutely not had the tools he needs to do his job well. Whose fault is that? Mostly injuries, I think, but that is a different discussion.
Amen. Everyone overlooks the fact that he is the most sacked QB in CFB. The only way we can protect him is to have more blockers, which reduces the targets downfield. It is a vicious cycle.

Receivers have dropped more passes than I can remember. Yesterday, Devito was 13 for 26 for 50% comp rate. At LEAST 3 passes were dropped (a couple ebrassingly so) - 16 for 26 would have been 61.5%. 17 for 26 is 65.3%. All were for decent yardage and one a possible TD.

TD is every bit the warrior as ED was, he is just a different type of QB.

Nobody should have to play behind such a poor line - it's far too dangerous play after play.

Tommy, I hope you get well soon and I thank you for your courage and resolve.

still at it i see. how many season tickets do you have and where are they---just curious---or maybe you r a multi million donor( i really hope you r)

Still getting rattled and overly defensive over it, I see. I prefer to stumble upon freebies from my friends(kinda Cosmo Kramer-esque) or to support the fine enterprising businessmen that I encounter on my way to the Dome.

Devito’s biggest problem IMO is that he lacks perhaps the greatest intangible a successful QB needs, and that’s pocket presence. The moment there is any semblance of things breaking down, so does he with his happy feet, lack of poise/presence, etc. He also appears to be unable to check down his progressions as you hardly ever see him physically doing this as his head seems locked in at all times.

The guy has been sacked 10,000 times since he’s been at SU. If he didn’t have happy feet by now I would question his mental state.

The progressions are a noticeable thing but again since he’s been a starter he’s had some pretty horrid OL’s. Quality time in the pocket isn’t something that’s been a premium for him.

Still getting rattled and overly defensive over it, I see. I prefer to stumble upon freebies from my friends(kinda Cosmo Kramer-esque) or to support the fine enterprising businessmen that I encounter on my way to the Dome.
that must be a fun friend!!

Amen. Everyone overlooks the fact that he is the most sacked QB in CFB. The only way we can protect him is to have more blockers, which reduces the targets downfield. It is a vicious cycle.

Receivers have dropped more passes than I can remember. Yesterday, Devito was 13 for 26 for 50% comp rate. At LEAST 3 passes were dropped (a couple ebrassingly so) - 16 for 26 would have been 61.5%. 17 for 26 is 65.3%. All were for decent yardage and one a possible TD.

TD is every bit the warrior as ED was, he is just a different type of QB.

Nobody should have to play behind such a poor line - it's far too dangerous play after play.

Tommy, I hope you get well soon and I thank you for your courage and resolve.
its time for babers to stop being stubborn and get rid of the hurry up bs and focus on execution. thats all the players need to think about, not whats coming next. fundamental football dino,

If transferring is the best for him and his family then he should do it, my question is which power 5 team have you seen this year where he would go and start for sure? It’s not a knock at him or his ability but thus far what school would he go at and unseat the current starter?
In a normal year probably 20% of P5 teams lose their Qb each year so that would've provided openings, I doubt he'd transfer anywhere to a guarenteed spot but if a coach can use his strengths and have a good core around him he will play well, it's all about putting him in a good position, he might not be an nfl guy but he's got the potential to be a good college qb. I can remember at least 2 plays yesterday if the WR's catch we score a TD, he's not as bad as everyone thinks.

In a normal year probably 20% of P5 teams lose their Qb each year so that would've provided openings, I doubt he'd transfer anywhere to a guarenteed spot but if a coach can use his strengths and have a good core around him he will play well, it's all about putting him in a good position, he might not be an nfl guy but he's got the potential to be a good college qb. I can remember at least 2 plays yesterday if the WR's catch we score a TD, he's not as bad as everyone thinks.
It wasn’t about how bad he is, it was just a question, I’m not gonna pile on the kid, and I hope he recovers fully, I just Have not seen anything that leads me to believe he would be successful any other power 5 school.

its time for babers to stop being stubborn and get rid of the hurry up bs and focus on execution. thats all the players need to think about, not whats coming next. fundamental football dino,
He already said they are going slow now because we don't have enough players to play up tempo. We just don't huddle. Not sure huddling will make a difference in execution but maybe if there are communication issues?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom