Devito... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Devito...

It wasn’t about how bad he is, it was just a question, I’m not gonna pile on the kid, and I hope he recovers fully, I just Have not seen anything that leads me to believe he would be successful any other power 5 school.
I think he'd be good and have success at most P5, not the elite programs obviously but a good supporting cast he's gonna hold his own, I mean we have no run game, no recievors and a terrible O line, he makes his mistakes but he also has gotten better somewhat, I saw that yesterday when he avoided the free rusher threw a nice ball to courtney jackson that should've been a TD, if you switched him and chase brice yesterday I'd be willing to bet tommy has better numbers on duke than chase did

I think he'd be good and have success at most P5, not the elite programs obviously but a good supporting cast he's gonna hold his own, I mean we have no run game, no recievors and a terrible O line, he makes his mistakes but he also has gotten better somewhat, I saw that yesterday when he avoided the free rusher threw a nice ball to courtney jackson that should've been a TD, if you switched him and chase brice yesterday I'd be willing to bet tommy has better numbers on duke than chase did
Would u take Chase Brice over Tommy before yesterday’s game?

Disagree.

The OL help we need is on the roster.

You just need to get 2 sure handed WRs to go with Taj for next year. They don't need to be fast. Preferably one guy who is tough and can block on bubble screens.

WRs/TES: Harris/Jordan/Transfer/Transfer/Benson/Hackett

RBs: Tucker with one of Adams or Howard maybe both

That looks fine to me.

We've said this for a while now about the line. Why do you suppose they get hurt every year even before the season starts?

He's not the problem, we have no WR's no OL no depth anywhere, play calling is terrible, is he the greatest qb probably not but he certainly hasn't had any chance to show it, he has his struggles for sure but so do most QB's, we need to go hit the portal hard for reinforcements because recruiting won't solve this years problems, he'd put up huge number at Boise Houston BYU SMU, any air raid probably most pac 12's, TD isnt the problem at least not on this team, he has his deficiencies but their are much bigger problems on the team and in the program. Where would dino be without ED is starting to be the real question now

What? He would put up big #'s at all those schools? Even 2 of those schools? Not sure what games you tune into and I do not want to rip TD too much, but part of the blame IS on him and if you watch and follow any cfb,; those schools have stud qb play and are doing just fine.

I thought the same thing and geeeez, this is one tough call. CB tried to throw it to us all day, but also made some heady and instinctive plays.

Yeah the lack of throwaways is mindboggling but those normally end up as inexplicable picks anyway.

the OL though is inexplicable...I mean we’re running up under center again and all the OL is half a yard or mote off the LOS anyway...hmm wonder what’s coming?!?

There is a way to throw the ball away wo a pick. All of the games rules are geared to enhance qb and offensive play. All favors the qb. A throwaway doesn't mean a pick. It's an art and instincts and TD doesn't have it. Also, no OL is perfect.

Hell no and if Tommy was healthy I still wouldn’t after the game. Brice was awful yesterday and if our receivers were even half way competent we would all be talking about how solid Tommy was.

Hell no and if Tommy was healthy I still wouldn’t after the game. Brice was awful yesterday and if our receivers were even half way competent we would all be talking about how solid Tommy was.
Brice had like. 68 qbr rating yesterday, Tommy had 37????

Brice had like. 68 qbr rating yesterday, Tommy had 37????
Did you watch the game? We dropped at least five passes and there were multiple deep balls where our receiver looked like a JV player. Tommy had a good day throwing the ball.

Brice threw a pick and had multiple passes that went directly to our defenders and we dropped. And that’s on top of two fumbles. He wasn’t good yesterday and hasn’t been good all year. He would make our team worse not better.

Amen. Everyone overlooks the fact that he is the most sacked QB in CFB. The only way we can protect him is to have more blockers, which reduces the targets downfield. It is a vicious cycle.

Receivers have dropped more passes than I can remember. Yesterday, Devito was 13 for 26 for 50% comp rate. At LEAST 3 passes were dropped (a couple ebrassingly so) - 16 for 26 would have been 61.5%. 17 for 26 is 65.3%. All were for decent yardage and one a possible TD.

TD is every bit the warrior as ED was, he is just a different type of QB.

Nobody should have to play behind such a poor line - it's far too dangerous play after play.

Tommy, I hope you get well soon and I thank you for your courage and resolve.

I hope TD gets well and comes back strong.

But, 2 things , a number of sacks are on him for lack of pocket awareness and saying he is the warrior ED was just isn't true. Not a knock on him, not many would be.

really? i am more concerned for his safety, that is my reason for transfer not a lack of ability. i wonder how you would hold up given the punishment this kid has taken. he may flourish on a team that could protect him.

we should fold the football program if that’s you’re reasoning

Did you watch the game? We dropped at least five passes and there were multiple deep balls where our receiver looked like a JV player. Tommy had a good day throwing the ball.

Brice threw a pick and had multiple passes that went directly to our defenders and we dropped. And that’s on top of two fumbles. He wasn’t good yesterday and hasn’t been good all year. He would make our team worse not better.
Yeah, if we're ranking the reasons our offense was putrid yesterday, for me WR performance was a clear #1.

Last edited:
Yeah, if we're ranking the reasons our offense was putrid yeaterday, for me WR performance was a clear #1.
It’s been terrible since UNC but yesterday was easily the worst. Outside of Taj they looked like DIII players. Maybe.

Amen. Everyone overlooks the fact that he is the most sacked QB in CFB. The only way we can protect him is to have more blockers, which reduces the targets downfield. It is a vicious cycle.

Receivers have dropped more passes than I can remember. Yesterday, Devito was 13 for 26 for 50% comp rate. At LEAST 3 passes were dropped (a couple ebrassingly so) - 16 for 26 would have been 61.5%. 17 for 26 is 65.3%. All were for decent yardage and one a possible TD.

TD is every bit the warrior as ED was, he is just a different type of QB.

Nobody should have to play behind such a poor line - it's far too dangerous play after play.

Tommy, I hope you get well soon and I thank you for your courage and resolve.
Thank you crusty. Drops happen we have quite a few though but usually a Qb gets a few great catches to balance it out , Don’t forget the throw aways because of the coverage with our out numbered WRs he must have 50 dating back to last year which has to be a record compute that in the completion rate .
One positive we got a little better with penalties this year. Here’s a huge thing that none of you know and it’s a big knock on tommy that he is indecisive.. WRs last and this year make the wrong read or take the wrong angle on routes causing hesritation or incompletions then it’s to late here comes the rushers or tommy flushes out to see nobody open or eats the turf . Twice this year it was Tommy’s fault on a post snap read which is the basis of the passing game but most of the time it’s the other way around . And only a couple of times dating back to last year we had a running game . To call it unfair is an understatement. Through a year and a qtr nobody in the country has it so difficult when you say country let that sink in . Here
Is reason for hope I think Alfred can be a huge huge weapon next year , Williams I love him . Jordan back , Davis bliech hopefully Adams or jarveon. But but but we better get
2 big physical WRs and 2 good O lineman .
It’s Monday am I hate Monday am but more so today , the hold on till Saturday has been taken away from me knowing he won’t suit up it was unfair , some bad luck , a mistake
No not the line the did a decent job . I just feel sorry for him I’m glad he is in good spirits
Me not so much but I’ll man up soon enough
Just the Monday morning blues .

He already said they are going slow now because we don't have enough players to play up tempo. We just don't huddle. Not sure huddling will make a difference in execution but maybe if there are communication issues?
then try huddling where there is conversation, communication, cohesion ---try anything because what we are doing does not work

Last edited:
Do we actually have a playbook? Do we call plays or is everything based on reads.

Do we actually have a playbook? Do we call plays or is everything based on reads.
There is no playbook there is however a game plan but most are based on reads so when the quarterback gets the snap he’s got a look and read hence the reason for him having to look where he’s throwing so people think he’s locking in a one receiver he has to look to read and then throw or else he’s going to get sacked

t
i hope recovers and enters the transfer portal, if practicable. i say that only because ha has taken a horrible beating. he needs a ol that can give him sometime. will he have 2yrs of eligibility left?? if so, for his own health transfer out.
TD has taken a beating but I am interested how much was self imposed versus the OL. What I mean by that is him holding the ball or lack of athleticism. It will be interesting to see now there will be someone else behind center for an entire game. If the OL continues to give up seven to eight sacks a game you can say it was all on them. If the sacks substantial decrease you can contribute a number of them to TD. Time will tell.

TD has taken a beating but I am interested how much was self imposed versus the OL. What I mean by that is him holding the ball or lack of athleticism. It will be interesting to see now there will be someone else behind center for an entire game. If the OL continues to give up seven to eight sacks a game you can say it was all on them. If the sacks substantial decrease you can contribute a number of them to TD. Time will tell.
i doubt that they will have as many pass or the type of pass plays called for rex. therefore your anticipated results maybe skewed. nevertheless it will be interesting. maybe we will play someone other than rex.

There is no playbook there is however a game plan but most are based on reads so when the quarterback gets the snap he’s got a look and read hence the reason for him having to look where he’s throwing so people think he’s locking in a one receiver he has to look to read and then throw or else he’s going to get sacked
But every QB in every offense makes reads, both pre and post snap. Not every QB looks in one direction for as long as we've seen and then consistently throws that direction. If that is the design of the offense, it is flawed.

Any team with a serviceable offensive line that can block against their level of competition.

But every QB in every offense makes reads, both pre and post snap. Not every QB looks in one direction for as long as we've seen and then consistently throws that direction. If that is the design of the offense, it is flawed.
On certain plays when it’s a designed throw
He holds the safety but it’s a read offense that’s the system . How many teams in power 5 run our system? Seriously I’m asking I don’t know

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom