DI Council approves changes to transfer rules | Syracusefan.com

DI Council approves changes to transfer rules

Also effective immediately, Division I student-athletes who meet certain academic eligibility requirements will be immediately eligible at their next school, regardless of whether they transferred previously. Specifically, to be immediately eligible after a transfer, undergraduate student-athletes must have left their previous school while academically eligible and in good standing (not subject to disciplinary suspension or dismissal) and meet progress-toward-degree requirements at their new school before competing.

So, does this mean if they have passing grades mid-semester and transfer, they can play immediately? Because if so, OMG. The implications are frightening.

Also effective immediately, Division I student-athletes who meet certain academic eligibility requirements will be immediately eligible at their next school, regardless of whether they transferred previously. Specifically, to be immediately eligible after a transfer, undergraduate student-athletes must have left their previous school while academically eligible and in good standing (not subject to disciplinary suspension or dismissal) and meet progress-toward-degree requirements at their new school before competing.

So, does this mean if they have passing grades mid-semester and transfer, they can play immediately? Because if so, OMG. The implications are frightening.
It's been frightening for 2 years. Every time I see an article about NCAA approving a rule change, it appears to me as, "NCAA further waters down academic and athletic requirements to satisfy spectacularly greedy factory boosters". I can write the next piece of Florida legislation: "No association can enforce any rule in FLorida that restricts any "student athlete" from doing whatever he or she wants".

Last edited:

It was mentioned in an earlier article… no midseason transfers.

That would be bedlam.

It was mentioned in an earlier article… no midseason transfers.
1713822766853.gif

When it comes to the college basketball transfer portal, you typically see the majority of players go portaling in the spring. That’s because the NCAA implemented a transfer window that opens on March 18th and closes on May 1st.

However, there was a loophole to get around that. Graduate transfers were allowed to go portaling whenever they wanted, so even though most players would enter the portal in the spring, we’d see significant names go portaling in the summer and even into the fall.

Not anymore.

Per ESPN’s Jeff Borzello, the NCAA quietly made a change last week that states grad transfers also must enter the portal by the May 1st deadline to be eligible for next season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom