Diagne | Page 31 | Syracusefan.com

Diagne

Perhaps there's a method to the madness.

Certainly SU and Moustapha Diagne have been looking at the problem for quite a while.
His ultimate goal can't be to get stuck at a JUCO for 2 years.
Without any evidence to the contrary. it's reasonable to infer that he still would like to play at SU.
And also reasonable that SU would like to have him in orange asap.

So...perhaps this is an arrangement to make that happen and use the exception below that would allow him to play for SU IF AND WHEN THE NCAA CLEARS THE QUESTIONED CLASS.

It would explain why SU's news release makes it a point to emphasize that Diagne chose to enroll in a 2 year school (ie. he wasn't recruited by the JUCO).

In the NJ Herald article, his high school coach states that Diagne is getting a full scholarship to the JUCO. Presumably it's NOT an athletic scholarship.

Non-recruited Student Exception
A student-athlete may transfer and play immediately if he or she met the following conditions at the first institution:

• The student-athlete was not recruited according to the NCAA’s definition of recruiting;
  • The student-athlete never received an athletic scholarship; and
  • The student-athlete did not practice or compete at all in athletics at the original school except for one 14-day period (i.e. a tryout).
Source:
http://www.athleticscholarships.net/ncaa-transfer-exceptions.htm

Perhaps there's a method to the madness.

Certainly SU and Moustapha Diagne have been looking at the problem for quite a while.
His ultimate goal can't be to get stuck at a JUCO for 2 years.
Without any evidence to the contrary. it's reasonable to infer that he still would like to play at SU.
And also reasonable that SU would like to have him in orange asap.

So...perhaps this is an arrangement to make that happen and use the exception below that would allow him to play for SU IF AND WHEN THE NCAA CLEARS THE QUESTIONED CLASS.

It would explain why SU's news release makes it a point to emphasize that Diagne chose to enroll in a 2 year school (ie. he wasn't recruited by the JUCO).

In the NJ Herald article, his high school coach states that Diagne is getting a full scholarship to the JUCO. Presumably it's NOT an athletic scholarship.

Non-recruited Student Exception
A student-athlete may transfer and play immediately if he or she met the following conditions at the first institution:

• The student-athlete was not recruited according to the NCAA’s definition of recruiting;
  • The student-athlete never received an athletic scholarship; and
  • The student-athlete did not practice or compete at all in athletics at the original school except for one 14-day period (i.e. a tryout).
Source:
http://www.athleticscholarships.net/ncaa-transfer-exceptions.htm
Possibly, but his HS coach says a couple different times in the NJ Hearld piece that Moustapha will be going to school "for free" this fall (at the JUCO) - meaning he's receiving an athletic scholarship, which would break condition #2

You can take summer courses at Junior Colleges, I have in the past, why couldn't he just take that one class over the summer, and then enroll at SU?

Perhaps because the kid / HS coach / HS didn't expect him to have one course flagged [just going by what was discussed in the article from this morning].

I assume that if they had a clear sense that this would happen, then alternative arrangements would probably have been made. AGAIN--going to accept at face value that this is just about one class from when he was in Senegal, and not other compounding issues impacting his qualification--then one quick way to remediate would be to get a college semester under his belt, get the coursework out of the way he needs to substitute for that one disputed course, and enroll in January.

Athletes who DON'T qualify on the sliding scale coming out of HS need to earn a JUCO degree before they can transfer to a four-year D1 program. Kids who are already qualified [which Diagne is] can enroll at any time--they don't have to graduate from JUCO in order to qualify, as they are already "qualified."

Seems like the simplest / quickest path is for Diange to take it on the chin for one semester by not coming to SU, do whatever it takes to get college credit in the type of course that the NCAA didn't accept, and then transfer in for the second semester. That would get him practicing some time in late December, and hopefully in place for the ACC portion of the schedule.

Please feel free to keep me honest [directed to everyone] if I am missing something about how the process works or the logistics associated with it, but it seems that straight forward to me GIVEN THE INFORMATION PRESENTED IN THIS MORNING'S ARTICLE.

Our best Orange fan is now reporting Diagne is enrolling into a two year school this fall. The natural question that follows is can Diagne start classes the second semester in January. Or will he be considered a transfer and have to wait a year. Assuming he gets is transcript straighten out with the NCAA it would be great if he could join the team late.
for sure, you are not a transfer if you graduate a 2 year school. Does anyone know the answer regarding a two year school undergraduate?

If this was an isolated incident I could understand the "benefit-of-the-doubt"perspective being posited by some. But we've seen these NCAA clusterf$@ks over many years, in many different scenarios, & with many different student athletes.
The NCAA lost its way a long time ago, & this is just another glaring example of such. JMHO

If it was 1 course (and they knew about it) why did he go spend the summer in Senegal rather than fixing the issue with a summer course?
Because his father and sister both died while he was in the US, and he wanted to spend time with the rest of his family, whom he also had not seen in years?

Because his father and sister both died while he was in the US, and he wanted to spend time with the rest of his family, whom he also had not seen in years?
I know that's the story that was told and I certainly appreciate the emotional response, but if this was just about 1 class, don't you thinkSU and Diagne would have taken every precaution?

How do you know they delayed it? The article also says they haven't decided. How do you know how quickly or accurately they got info on a course they asked for from the Senegal HS. You don't know why it had taken the time it has. Have you ever gone through the initial eligibility process with an athlete, in particular an athlete that isn't a slam dunk with meeting requirements? I doubt it. I have.
A scenario re: the timing, with only a slight conspiracy slant--

The NCAA Clearinghouse is overwhelmed, this year and every other, with too many athletes to be reviewed, and not enough staff to do the work in a timely manner (another discussion for another day). So, they must prioritize.

They look at SU, and say "They're only entitled to 10 scholarships this year. They already have 10 scholarship athletes in place. Put this case on the bottom of the pile." (Hyperbole noted.)

I know that's the story that was told and I certainly appreciate the emotional response, but if this was just about 1 class, don't you thinkSU and Diagne would have taken every precaution?
If there was a reasonable chance that a waiver would be granted (noted elsewhere), then maybe he was just gambling on the odds. Or maybe someone misled him.

If there was a reasonable chance that a waiver would be granted (noted elsewhere), then maybe he was just gambling on the odds. Or maybe someone misled him.
Or, and I'm just spitballing here, he was desperate to see his family given the losses he had suffered? It may come as a shock but not everything is about D1 sports to everyone. Especially when the guy thought he was perfectly fine.

th

Hey remember when Mark Emmert said it's laughable to suggest the NCAA can determine the legitimacy of courses?
View attachment 49651

Absurdly hypocritical on the part of the NCAA.

Even though they have no jurisdiction over high schools, apparently determining the legitimacy of courses at the high school level is right within the NCAA's "wheelhouse."

If the NCAA wanted some sense of legitimacy they would help out these young recruits as soon as they get a scholarship offer. Especially these international students who come to the US for a high school education. And especially when they go one of the many high profile basketball schools.

When he arrived here it should have been the NCAAs duty to let him know his progress toward being a NCAA Student Athlete. At that time they could have notified him of any things that needed attention, instead of some ridiculous 11th hour clearinghouse stuff that gets log-jammed every August/Sept.

The NCAA should be a student athlete advocate, instead its an organization who thought process clouded by the money that networks throw at it.

jekelish said:

I don't believe they do it in a vacuum and rely on experts in education.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom